Lucy regularly leads “bet the company” and “bet the brand” litigations, focusing on high stakes trademark, trade dress, copyright and false advertising disputes for some of the world’s top companies. In addition, she manages international enforcement programs for major brands and counsels clients on worldwide branding strategies, trademark clearance, and advertising review.
Lucy is a lead trial lawyer and has won jury trials in the federal courts, and regularly secures preliminary injunctions on behalf of major brands. Lucy also has extensive experience before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, including trial wins, and handles appeals on complex registration issues. She represents clients in their most challenging and high value disputes across a variety of industries, including consumer products, packaged foods, apparel and footwear, telecommunications, healthcare, and fine furnishings. Lucy has particular expertise serving as counsel for plaintiff brand owners and crafting comprehensive litigation strategies to achieve business goals. Lucy is active in intellectual property associations, and serves on the Commercialization of Brands Committee for INTA and the Intellectual Property Owner’s Trademarks Committee.
In the pro bono arena, Lucy has successfully pursued asylum for an Afghan family and achieved a favorable settlement on behalf of an individual against a credit union.
- Lead trial counsel for a plaintiff manufacturer of fine furniture in trademark infringement and breach of contract lawsuit in the Southern District of New York. The jury found in the client’s favor on all counts and awarded disgorgement of all profits and punitive damages.
- Lead counsel for a major telecommunications company in a trademark infringement and unfair competition lawsuit in the Southern District of Florida. After successfully arguing for dismissal of the majority of the counterclaims on a judgment as a matter of law, the jury found in the client’s favor on all counts and awarded disgorgement of all profits and statutory damages.
- Lead intellectual property counsel for a top sneaker manufacturer in trade dress and trademark infringement litigation against largest national retailer. Won preliminary injunctions resulting in the removal of millions of dollars of infringing shoes from store shelves.
- Lead intellectual property counsel for a top manufacturer in the health and safety space in a series of “bet the company” false advertising litigations and spearheading a comprehensive crisis management strategy for the company. Defeated motion for temporary restraining order brought by opposing party and defeated anti-SLAPP motion and motion to dismiss.
- Lead appellate counsel for major university in appeal before TTAB regarding refusal USPTO’s refusal to register flagship brand. Won appeal resulting in registration of flagship brand with USPTO.
- Lead counsel for national clothing brand in trademark infringement litigation. Defeated motion for temporary restraining order and secured favorable settlement and dismissal of all claims.
- Lead trademark litigation counsel on behalf of one of the nation’s top condiment manufacturers in a “bet the brand” litigation over ownership of the company flagship brand. Defeated motion for summary judgment. On eve of trial achieved favorable settlement resulting in a consent judgement and permanent injunction entered against the other side.
- Lead counsel on behalf of a major physical therapy company in a trademark litigation challenging the company’s flagship brand brought by major health system. Defeated motion for a preliminary injunction and settled case with dismissal of all of opposing party’s claims.
- Lead counsel on behalf of major technology company in defending trademark infringement claim. Won motion to dismiss defendant’s counterclaims and achieved favorable settlement protecting client’s rights in the brand.
- Lead counsel for financial services company in trademark infringement action. Won motion to dismiss opposing party’s counterclaim.
- Represented a major international luxury goods manufacturer in a contributory infringement suit against a leading online marketplace; won motions for summary judgment.
- Represented a major clothing company in trademark and copyright litigation that resulted in a settlement where the client received all attorneys’ fees and additional damages.
- Represented leading oil company in series of franchise litigations and related appeals; won motions to dismiss on issue of first impression.
Antonin Scalia Law School, George Mason UniversityJD
magna cum laude, Editor-in-Chief, George Mason Law Review2008
- Rice UniversityBAHistory2002
Named an “MVP for Intellectual Property Law,” Law360, 2022
Named a “Go To Lawyer,” Intellectual Property Law, Virginia Lawyers Weekly, 2022
Named to “Virginia Rising Stars,” Intellectual Property Litigation, Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2017-2021
Named to “Washington, D.C. Rising Stars,” Intellectual Property Litigation, Super Lawyers, 2014-2015
- Quoted, "The Biggest Trademark Rulings Of 2022", Law360, December 19, 2022
- Author, "Trademark Infringer Still Liable Years Later", Virginia Lawyers Weekly, November 28, 2022
- Quoted, "Pop Quiz: How Realistic Is The TM Showdown In ‘She-Hulk’?", Law360, September 21, 2022
- Quoted, "University Settles Sanctions, Fees In ‘Penn State Beer’ Suit", Law360, August 31, 2022
- Quoted, "Fabricated Evidence’ Leads Federal Judge to Award $400,000 in Fees", Law.com, August 4, 2022
- Quoted, "Artwork or Knockoff? Tyga’s Sneakers at Center of Legal Showdown", Billboard, April 27, 2022
- Quoted, "Vans Says It’s In ‘Mortal Peril’ Over Walmart’s ‘Dupes’", Law360, February 28, 2022
- Author, Supreme Court Trademark Ruling Shows You Can’t Judge a Book(ing) by Its .Com, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, July 2, 2020
- Author, SCOTUS Justices Unanimous: Willfulness Not Required for Trademark Profits, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 23, 2020
- Author, Don’t Stop Now! Trademark Registration Is Just the Beginning, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, November 12, 2019
- Author, Fake Reviews and Fake Followers: FTC Cracks Down on Deceptive Online Posting, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, October 22, 2019
- Quoted, "Iancu v Brunetti ruling – trademark community has its say on implications of momentous US Supreme Court decision", World Trademark Review, June 25, 2019
- Co-author, "Combating Contributory Infringement on the Internet", INTA Bulletin, May 1, 2014
- Co-author, "Combatting Contributory Infringement on the Internet", IP Law360, December 23, 2010
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Supreme Court
- District of Columbia Court of Appeals
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 2nd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 1st Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
- Speaker, Generative AI and the Law – Introduction and IP Ownership, August 3, 2023
- Speaker, "…And Now A Word About Trademarks", Women Leaders in IP Law Annual Conference, June 7, 2023
- Speaker, "Working with ISO Brand Standards: Brand Valuation and Brand Evaluation", International Trademark Association (INTA) Annual Meeting, 2022
- Speaker, "Where Marketers and Attorneys Learn to Speak the Same Language ", Frenemies Video Series, October 2020 - April 2021
- Host, "The One about the Truth: Fake Reviews, Sponsorships and Other FTC Issues", Frenemies Video Series, April 5, 2021
- Host, "The One Where We Take Simple Steps Upfront to Protect Our New Brand", Frenemies Video Series, October 5, 2020
- Speaker, Impacts of Coronavirus and Major Business Disruption on Remedies in IP Cases, Intellectual Property Owners Association: COVID-19 Webinar Series, June 2, 2020
- Speaker, "Trade Dress Issues", Protect Your Brand and Advance Your Marketing Strategies, February 28, 2018