Consumer Products Safety
McGuireWoods’ product safety lawyers have more than three decades of experience advising and representing manufacturers, importers, private labelers, distributors and retailers of the world’s best-known products on all aspects of risk management, regulatory compliance, recalls/withdrawals, and litigation.
We regularly assist clients in the design and implementation of risk management programs aimed at ensuring regulatory compliance and reducing exposure to claims and fines on a wide range of consumer products regulated by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA), U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), and other regulatory and law enforcement agencies.
Much of what we do involves avoiding the need for recalls. However, when recalls are necessary, we have significant experience negotiating and implementing them on a moment’s notice. Further, our experienced trial lawyers and class action litigators are well-versed in the practical implications of risk management strategies, and are available to aggressively defend product manufacturer, importer, distributor and retailer clients when litigation arises.
How We Help
Clients rely on us to assist in implementing risk management programs to eliminate regulatory non-compliance, reduce exposure to claims and fines, and aggressively defend matters when they do arise. Our consumer products safety attorneys regularly:
- Develop and implement programs tailored to clients’ needs to facilitate consumer product safety and compliance with applicable product safety laws;
- Provide onsite consultations and seminars to provide risk management advice, best practices counseling and training to facilitate compliance with applicable product safety laws;
- Closely monitor agency developments and rulemaking and advise clients of the implications;
- Advise clients on reporting obligations under U.S. law;
- Develop recall and corrective action plans, and negotiated recalls with U.S. agencies;
- Assist clients with responding to complaints submitted to regulatory agencies;
- Review product literature and packaging materials for compliance with applicable standards;
- Assist clients in response to site visits and inspections;
- Represent witnesses testifying before regulatory agencies;
- Defend companies in civil and criminal penalty investigations; and
- Defend personal injury and property damage claims and litigation arising in connection with recalled products.
Consumer Products Experience
Team lawyers have hands-on legal experience with an array of consumer products, including:
Download practice brochure
Product liability and toxic torts practice recognition in Virginia– CHAMBERS USA
Nationally recognized for Product liability, mass tort and class action – defense: consumer products (including tobacco)– LEGAL 500 UNITED STATES
“Litigation Powerhouse”– LAW360
Multiple partners named Product Liability Litigation – Defendants Mass Tort Litigation/Class Actions – Defendants “Lawyers of the Year”– BEST LAWYERS