In October 2022, Fairfax County property owners and developers will have an opportunity to file for comprehensive plan changes on property throughout the county. This is the only time during the next two years when the amendment process will be open for nominations.
The open nomination period reflects changes to Fairfax County’s site-specific plan amendment (SSPA) process adopted by the county’s Board of Supervisors on July 19, 2022.
The changes are intended to make the overall process more efficient and to prioritize proposals that are likely to spur development. Specific provisions contained in the recommended SSPA process include the following:
- Open nomination period in October 2022.
- Countywide nominations permitted, including sites in Reston and Tysons and along Richmond Highway.
- A focus on “real” projects Prioritizing review times for near-term development, andPermitting concurrent zoning applications.
- Prioritizing review times for near-term development, and
- Permitting concurrent zoning applications.
- Streamlined nomination screening.
- A two-year nomination cycle; the current process is a four-year nomination cycle.
More details can be found in the Fairfax County staff’s white paper summarizing recommendations.
McGuireWoods is available to discuss eligible sites and development strategies to utilize the revised SSPA process.