Lori has over 25 years of both public- and private- sector experience in the land use process in Northern Virginia. Her employment as a planner for 11 years with the Department of Planning and Zoning in Fairfax County, in addition to her experience managing a land use consulting firm for 6 years, combine to give her a unique and valuable perspective that serves our McGuireWoods clients well.
As a planner with the County, she analyzed zoning applications and prepared and presented reports before the Board of Zoning Appeals, Planning Commission and Board of Supervisors. As a private land use consultant, she represented clients in all stages of the development process. Her extended years of experience in the Northern Virginia market have resulted in a deep understanding of the legislative process, as well as productive relationships with County staff and local political leaders.
Her services include assisting clients at all stages and with all aspects of the land planning and development process from due diligence for site selection through obtaining rezoning, special exceptions and Comprehensive Plan amendment approvals. She has been involved in a wide array of projects from large-scale mixed use to infill commercial, office and industrial development and private schools. Advocating for clients in presentations to community organizations, county staff, and county political leadership, she has experience in all the Northern Virginia jurisdictions with the heaviest concentration in Fairfax and Loudoun Counties.
- Maryland Drafting InstituteCertificate of Architectural Drafting1990
- University of VirginiaBSUrban and Regional Planning1982
Recipient, Departmental Outstanding Performance Award, Fairfax County Office of Comprehensive Planning, 1996
Member, American Planning Association
- Author, Central Virginia Data Center Update, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, October 23, 2023
- Author, Fairfax County, Virginia, Adopts Affordable Housing Preservation Guidelines, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, October 3, 2023
- Author, Fairfax County, Virginia: Comprehensive Plan Amendment Open Nomination Period Begins Soon, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, September 23, 2022
- Author, Fairfax County, Virginia: Call for Comprehensive Plan Amendment Nominations, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, July 20, 2022
- Co-author, Zoning and Segregation in Virginia: Part 2 – Expanding Housing Choices for the Future of Virginia, McGuireWoods Study Paper, May 23, 2022
- Author, Prince William County, Virginia, Comprehensive Plan Update, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, February 7, 2022
- Author, Fairfax County Kicks Off Changes to Comprehensive Plan Amendment Process, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, October 14, 2021
- Author, Fairfax County Adopts New Data Center Requirements, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, March 31, 2021
- Author, New Fairfax County Zoning Ordinance zMOD Supports Distribution Centers, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, March 29, 2021
- Author, Fairfax County, Virginia, Adopts New Zoning Ordinance zMOD, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, March 25, 2021
- Author, Fairfax County Amends Workforce Housing Policy to Target Lower Income Levels, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, February 24, 2021
- Author, Fairfax County Approves Additional Zoning Flexibility in Response to COVID-19, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, November 3, 2020
- Author, Fairfax County COVID-19 Update, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, March 23, 2020