An engaging full-day seminar that covered business and legal issues faced by nephrologists; hospital and dialysis facility CEOs, CFOs, and COOs; in-house counsel; administrators; human resource directors and consultants.
Keynote Speaker: Kim D. Slocum
Kim is a frequent speaker on healthcare strategy and policy issues. He brings the perspective of 40 years of experience to the issues facing healthcare stakeholders today. Kim is the President of KDS Consulting, LLC, a firm he founded in 2006 to help his clients develop strategic and sustainable solutions to the challenges they face. He currently works with payers, providers, life sciences firms, healthcare information technology firms and trade associations. Prior to founding KDS Consulting, he worked for more than 33 years for a variety of life sciences and healthcare consulting firms.
Agenda and Conference Materials
8:45 – 9:30 a.m
- Keynote Speaker: Impact of the ACA Kim Slocum, Strategy and Policy Expert, KDS Consulting, LLC
9:30 – 10:15 a.m.
- Nephrology/Dialysis Legislative Update Rob Blaser, Director of Public Policy, Renal Physicians Association
10:15 – 11:00 a.m.
- Top Ten 2013 Issues in the Dialysis /Nephrology Industry James B. Riley, Partner, McGuireWoods LLP
11:15 a.m. – Noon
- Technology Enabled Healthcare: Meaningful Use, Using EHRs, Mobile Device Technology Robert Jarrin, Senior Director of Government Affairs, Qualcomm, Inc. Christopher Najafi, MD, Lakeside Nephrology Group Stephanie A. Kennan, Sr. VP Federal Public Affairs, McGuireWoods Consulting LLC Kimberly J. Kannensohn, Partner, McGuireWoods LLP (Moderator)
1:15 – 2:15 p.m.
- Litigation Topic: Key Considerations in Government Investigations Michael E. Little, Senior Manager, Deloitte Financial Advisory Services LLP David J. Pivnick, Attorney, McGuireWoods LLP Jeffrey Rogers, Partner, McGuireWoods LLP
2:15 – 3:15 p.m.
- Achieving Compliance: HIPAA and HITECH Act Privacy and Security Requirements Chris Cronin, Principal Consultant, Halock Security Labs Amanda L. Enyeart, Attorney, McGuireWoods LLP Kimberly J. Kannensohn, Partner, McGuireWoods LLP (Moderator)
3:15 – 3:30 p.m.
- Physician Integration and Relationships Shaun Edelstein, Chief Operating Officer, Balboa Nephrology Medical Group Armen Gallucci, Assistant Professor, Assistant Vice President, Business Development, Rush University Medical Center Jason S. Greis, Attorney, McGuireWoods LLP Amber McGraw Walsh, Partner, McGuireWoods LLP (Moderator)
1:15 – 2:15 p.m.
- ACO’s for End Stage Renal Disease: A View to the Future Regarding End Stage Renal Disease and ESCOs Joseph Carlucci, Co-founder & Chief Executive Officer, American Renal Associates, Inc. Sue Rottura, Director of Government Affairs, American Renal Associates, Inc. Scott P. Downing, Partner, McGuireWoods LLP (Moderator)
- Medicare Comprehensive ESRD Care (CEC) Initiative Eric Hammelman, CFA, Vice President, Avalare Health LLC
2:15 – 3:15 p.m.
- Access Centers: Key Issues in Converting to Ambulatory Surgery Centers; Reimbursement Changes and Key Issues when Considering a Transaction Chris Aycrigg, Practice Administrator, Nephrology Associates of Central Florida James B. Riley, Partner, McGuireWoods LLP (Moderator) Richard Nee, Vice-President and General Manager, RMS Lifeline
3:30 – 4:30 p.m.
- Recent Employment Law Developments, ACA, and the Effects on Dialysis Centers and Nephrologists – Including Employer Implications William P. O’Malley, CPA, Director, Washington National Tax, McGladrey LLP Sally Doubet King, Partner, McGuireWoods LLP