Tammy’s practice focuses on complex commercial litigation, including consumer finance litigation, class actions, antitrust, and multidistrict litigation.
Tammy has represented numerous clients in the consumer financial services industry, including consumer financial class action litigation arising out of the foreclosure crisis. Her experience includes defending class action and individual claims related to the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, the Fair Credit Reporting Act, various state consumer fraud and unfair business practices statutes, and counseling clients on compliance with applicable federal and state statutes and regulations.
Tammy also has participated in the handling of antitrust matters in federal courts and before arbitration tribunals. Her cases have involved price fixing, market allocation, tying arrangements, cartels, monopolization, attempted monopolization, Robinson-Patman Act claims, and antitrust conspiracies.
She also has experience in insurer liquidation proceedings, insurance coverage and defense, director and officer liability, auditor liability, and bankruptcy preference actions.
Prior to joining McGuireWoods, Tammy was a staff attorney in the Office of the Special Deputy Receiver for the State of Illinois.
- Representation of a national bank in a series of putative class actions relating to the mortgage foreclosure crisis.
- Representation of debt collection companies in FDCPA class actions.
- Representation of companies in class action and individual cases brought under the TCPA arising from telephone or faxing practices.
- Defense of domestic ocean shipping company in antitrust class action alleging price-fixing and bid rigging of ocean shipping rates between the United
States mainland and Puerto Rico, including oversight and management of class-wide settlement. In Re: Puerto Rican Cabotage Antitrust Litigation, MDL 1960 (U.S. District Court for the District of Puerto Rico).
- Defense of domestic ocean shipping company in antitrust putative class action alleging price-fixing and bid rigging of ocean shipping rates between the
United States mainland and Hawaii and Guam. Obtained dismissal of claims based upon the filed rate doctrine, which was affirmed by the Ninth Circuit of the
U.S. Court of Appeals. In Re: Hawaiian & Guamanian Cabotage Litigation, MDL 1972 (U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington).
- Representation of Jo Tankers, Inc., a parcel tanker shipping company, in consolidated multi-district class action litigation and related arbitrations of
Sherman Act § 1 allegations in the ocean tanker shipping service industry. Along with a McGuireWoods team, she helped secure a May 2010 victory before the
U.S. Supreme Court in Stolt-Nielsen v. Animalfeeds Int’l, 130 S. Ct. 1758 (2010), which held that the respondents could not be compelled under the
Federal Arbitration Act to engage in class arbitration where the arbitration agreement was silent on the issue of class arbitration.
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 2nd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 3rd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- Speaker, "Telephone Consumer Protection Act", Current Legal Issues and Trends in Mortgage Origination and Servicing, Mortgage Servicing In-House Counsel Forum, February 4, 2016
- The Ohio State UniversityJD1995
The Ohio State UniversityBA
summa cum laude1992
Member, American Bar Association
Member, Chicago Bar Association
- Author, FCC Drops Message That Ringless Voicemails Are Subject to TCPA, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, December 5, 2022
- Author, TCPA Defendants Defeat Class Certification, Novel Autodialer Arguments; Lose Supreme Court Bid, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 1, 2022
- Author, U.S. Supreme Court Adopts Narrow Autodialer Definition in 9-0 Defense Victory, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 2, 2021
- Author, Proposed Amendments to Fair Credit Reporting Act, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, February 19, 2016
- Author, Supreme Court Rules Settlement Offer Does Not Moot Class Action, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, January 22, 2016
- Author, December Antitrust Bulletin, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, December 18, 2013
- Author, May Antitrust Bulletin, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, May 24, 2012
- Author, December Antitrust Bulletin, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, December 15, 2010