Ed is a trial lawyer focused on healthcare, aviation, energy, manufacturing, and financial services disputes. He appears in courts and arbitrations around the country and is a AAA and AHLA panel neutral.
As counsel for several health plans, Ed handles healthcare litigation around the country. He also represents healthcare providers including Chicago area hospitals, health systems, and nursing homes. Ed also represents a global aerospace company in product liability litigation. In the energy sector, Ed has handled several significant matters for a Midwest natural gas transmission and electric generation utility.
Ed was an adjunct professor at Northwestern University Law School where, for eighteen years, he taught Trial Advocacy classes. He was a board member for two Illinois managed care organizations. Ed was vice-chair of the Health Care Liability & Litigation Group of the American Health Lawyers Association for six years. He currently serves on the AHLA Disputes Resolution Council which manages the AHLA Arbitration and Mediation Services. At McGuireWoods, he served on both the Associates and Contingency Fee Committees.
His pro bono work ranges from veteran’s advocacy where he won a case before the Board of Correction of Naval Records to prosecuting civil hate crime claims. Prior to law school, he managed political campaigns in Michigan.
Ed speaks on a wide range of topics in health care law, including managed care. Ed also speaks on other topics including arbitration, litigation strategies, bankruptcy, and alternative fee arrangements. He also publishes articles for American Health Lawyers Association and writes on health law topics for a range of other publications.
Ed’s work uncovering a Florida Ponzi scheme perpetrated by Lou Pearlman, founder of Backstreet Boys and ‘N Sync, was featured on CNBC’s American Greed, in the Vanity Fair article “Mad About the Boys,” on Investigation Discovery Channel’s Vanity Fair Confidential, and in a book titled The Hit Charade by Tyler Gray.
Ed is an AV Preeminent rated attorney (highest rating) by Martindale-Hubbell. He was selected as one of The Best Lawyers in America, Aviation Law, Woodward/White, Inc. 2023. Ed is also a licensed Private Pilot.
“I pride myself on anticipating our clients’ needs and meeting their deadlines.”
- Lead counsel for global aerospace company in product liability actions from aviation incidents.
- On behalf of a national health plan, defeated a motion for preliminary injunction in Cook County, IL seeking 24/7 private duty nursing services.
- 2017 Won case before the Board of Correction of Naval Records to correct Navy Captain’s military record for active duty points not awarded. Spouse awarded retirement pay from date of retirement (25 years).
- 2017 Lead Counsel on behalf of managed care organization involving over 100,000 medical claims.
- In 2016, lead counsel in a two week jury trial in Cook County, Illinois, defending a managed care plan arising out of a provider termination. Defense verdict after three hours deliberation.
- In 2016, lead counsel on behalf of managed care payer in an Arbitration involving 50,000 medical claims.
- In 2016, secured dismissal of class action involving payments to long-term care providers in NJ federal court.
- Firm lead for government sponsored managed care health plan. Coordinate significant matters around the country involving provider disputes, delegated entities, fraud waste and abuse, internal investigations, recovery of overpayments, service fund issues, SIU, PBM matters, PLP issues, billing disputes, labor and employment, and regulatory issues.
- Lead counsel defending a public utility over an alleged breach of a power purchase agreement for wind energy.
- Lead counsel for the largest unsecured creditor in a Florida Ponzi scheme. The work uncovering this scheme perpetrated by Lou Pearlman was featured on CNBC’s American Greed on December 17, 2008; in a Vanity Fair article, “Mad About the Boys,” by Bryan Borrough, in November 2007; on Investigation Discovery Channel’s Vanity Fair Confidential on March 16, 2015; and in the book titled The Hit Charade by Tyler Gray. Secured $18.6 million dollar judgment in state court.
- Lead counsel defending former pharmacy owners from fraud and breach of fiduciary duty claims by sellers of closely held interest. Won summary judgment.
- Lead counsel in a AAA international arbitration claim for fraud and breach of a distribution agreement on behalf of a global generic pharmaceutical company.
- Lead counsel in a AAA arbitration defending a public utility in a claim regarding an environmental remediation project. Defense judgment.
- Lead counsel in a bench trial on behalf of the Chapter 11 Trustee in U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York over a failed 363 Sale. Judgment in our clients favor. Upheld on appeal.
- Lead counsel in a bench trial on behalf of a plaintiff debtor physician practice management company against a provider in the U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware. Judgment in favor of plaintiff.
- Represented the owner and former CEO of a national home building company through Chapter 11 proceedings including adversary actions and plan confirmation.
- As debtors’ counsel, prosecuted numerous claims for fraudulent conveyance, restitution, and breach of contract that netted full recovery to secured creditors of physician management practice companies.
- Defended Medicaid managed care organization against a multimillion dollar reimbursement claim brought by a publicly traded pharmacy.
- Lead counsel for two managed care organizations in a putative class action in the Circuit Court of Cook County, Illinois. Claim was brought by emergency room physicians for reimbursement at the “billed charge” rate. Cased dismissed. Upheld on appeal.
- Prosecuted and defended numerous emergency motions for temporary restraining orders and preliminary injunctions involving restrictive covenants, shareholder rights, and mergers and acquisitions.
- Conducted two federal jury trials involving claims for breach of sales representative agreements.
- Represented hospitals and health systems in claims over medical credentialing including injunctions to reinstate, claims for damages, and peer review proceedings.
- Represented a credit union against a bank in a check kiting scheme. Obtained summary judgment for client which was upheld on appeal.
- Lead counsel in a Kane County jury trial for breach of fiduciary duties relating to the sale of a business.
- Prosecuted claim for breach of a software agreement on behalf of a large health system against a global company that developed and sold electronic health records software.
- AAA arbitration on behalf of a global food group in a breach of a manufacturing and sales licensing agreement.
- Appointed by the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois to represent alleged Chicago El Rukn gang member in a trial asserting prosecutorial misconduct.
- DePaul UniversityJD1986
- Alma CollegeBA1982
Former Adjunct Professor, Northwestern University Law School
Arbitrator, American Arbitration Association
Arbitrator, American Health Law Association
Former Board of Director, Two Illinois Managed Care Organizations
Member, Dispute Resolution Service Council, American Health Law Association, 2017-present
Member and Appointed Vice-chair, Health Care Liability & Litigation Group, American Health Law Association, 2010-2016
Member, Chicago Advisory Committee, Alma College, 2010-2014
Member, Illinois Lawyer to Lawyer Mentoring Program, 2012
- Presenter, "ADR – Winning Strategies: Views from Neutral and Party Representatives", BCBS 2023 Law, Audit, Compliance & Ethics Conference, August 8, 2023
- Speaker, "The Roles and Responsibilities of In-House and Outside Counsel in Resolving Health Care Disputes", American Health Law Association (AHLA) Annual Meeting, June 27, 2023
- Panelist, "Peering into the Arbitrator's Brain: Building a Winning Strategy for Your Complex Healthcare Case", AAA Healthcare Dispute Resolution Innovation and Strategy Conference, September 30, 2022
- Speaker, Data and Digital Health, June 23, 2022
- Speaker, "Data Sharing Opportunities and Risks", Blue Cross Blue Shield 2022 National Summit, May 3, 2022
- Speaker, "Recent Developments in Managed Care Litigation", Healthcare and Life Sciences Webinar Series, December 10, 2020
- Panelist, "Best Practices Handling Payor/Provider Disputes" and Moderator, "General Counsel Senior Executive Roundtable", 6th Annual Healthcare Litigation and Compliance Conference, May 21, 2019
- Speaker, "A Deep Dive into Emerging Areas of False Claims Act Risk and Liability for Medicare Advantage Organizations, Part D Plans, and Medicaid Managed Care Organizations", Blue Cross Blue Shield 2019 National Summit, April 29 - May 2, 2019
- Speaker, "How to Make the AHLA Dispute Resolution Service Work for You", AHLA Dispute Resolution Service, Webinar, February 20, 2019
- Speaker, "Health Care Arbitration and Mediation: What You Need to Know from Claimant, Respondent, and Neutral", AHLA In-House Counsel Program & Annual Meeting, June 24-27, 2018
- Speaker, "Managed Care Disputes: Litigating Issues Involving Coverage, Payment Practices and More", Strafford Publications, Inc., CLE webinar, June 12, 2018
- Speaker, 5th Annual Healthcare Litigation and Compliance Conference, McGuireWoods LLP, May 30, 2018
- Speaker, "Sponsored Plans – Winning Strategies: Emerging Areas of Risk in Government to Minimize Exposure", Blue Cross Blue Shield 2018 National Summit/52nd Annual Lawyer’s Conference, Orlando, FL, May 1, 2018
- Speaker, "Provider Contracting Best Practices and Practical Tips", Presentation to CareSource, December 19, 2017
- Speaker, "Bringing and Defending Overpayment Recoveries – A View from Both Sides", Healthcare Litigation and Compliance Webinar Series, October 19, 2017
- Speaker, "Emerging Areas of Enterprise Risk for Managed Care Organizations and Health Plans", Healthcare Litigation and Compliance Webinar Series, McGuireWoods LLP Webinar Series, August 10, 2017
- Speaker and Moderator, "Welcome and Introductions," and "General Session: Executive Roundtable", 4th Annual Healthcare Litigation and Compliance Conference, McGuireWoods LLP, June 8, 2017
- Speaker, "Year in Review 2016: Recent Trends and Updates in Managed Care", 8th Annual Advanced Forum on Managed Care Disputes and Litigation, American Conference Institute, May 2, 2017
- Speaker, Effectively Managing Complex Healthcare Litigation in a Budget-Sensitive World, McGuireWoods LLP Webinar Series, April 17, 2017
- Speaker, Healthcare Antitrust: Hot Issues in M&A, Joint Ventures and Competitor Collaboration, McGuireWoods Seminar, February 4, 2016
- Moderator, American Conference Institute’s 6th Annual Advanced Forum on Managed Care Disputes & Litigation:, American Conference Institute, May 14, 2015
- Speaker, "Streamlining Litigation, Legal Project Management and Cost Reduction", Annual Healthcare Litigation Conference, May 6, 2015
- Moderator, "Dispositive Motions and Preparing for Trial - Pretrial Motions and Jury Issues", Litigating a False Claims Act – Tips and Tactics from the Trenches, American Health Lawyers Association Webinar, Wednesday, December 10, 2014
- Panelist, "Alternative Dispute Resolution: Streamlining the Arbitration Process With an Eye Toward Litigation Avoidance", Managed Care Disputes and Litigation, American Conference Institute, May 15-16, 2014
- Co-Chair and Panelist, "Arbitration vs. the Courts – 5 Key Factors in Evaluating the Merits of Arbitration" and "Recent Trends and Key Issues in Connection with Managed Care", Healthcare Litigation Conference, McGuireWoods LLP, April 8, 2014
- Speaker, Healthcare Litigation Conference, McGuireWoods LLP, April 8, 2014
- Speaker, "Health Law Institute Career Panel and IAHA Info Session", Law 101: Health Law, DePaul University College of Law, October 30, 2013
- Speaker, "Managed Care Litigation - Trends and Developments", Minnesota Bar Association and CLE’s 2013 Health Law Institute, June 6-7, 2013
- Speaker, 3rd Annual Best Practices Litigation Roundtable, McGuireWoods LLP, May 16, 2013
- Co-Chair and Panelist, "Preparing Offensive and Defensive Litigation Strategies in Response to Creative Provider Claims", ACI’s 3rd Annual Advanced Forum on Managed Care Disputes and Litigation, May 9-10, 2013
- Panelist, "Toolkit for a Workout - Thinking Beyond Bankruptcy", 10th Annual Healthcare and Life Sciences Private Equity and Finance Conference, McGuireWoods LLP and McGladrey LLP, February 27, 2013
- Discussion Leader, "Current Trends and Developments", Healthcare Litigation Roundtable Series, February 19, 2013
- Symposium Moderator, Litigating In the Red Zone: Efficiency and Fee Arrangements When the Stakes are High, October 11, 2012
- Speaker, "Responding to Third Party Civil Subpoenas--A Practical Guide", Client Roundtable, October 3, 2012
- Speaker, "Proactive Litigation Strategies for Defending Against Restrictive Covenants and Non-Compete Agreements", American Conference Institute’s Advanced Forum on Healthcare Provider Disputes and Litigation, July 31, 2012
- Speaker, 2nd Annual Best Practices Litigation Roundtable, McGuireWoods LLP, April 19, 2012
- Speaker, "Handling Healthcare Arbitrations Effectively: Strategic Considerations in Determining Whether to Arbitrate, Selecting an Administering Organization and Structuring ADR Agreements", American Health Lawyers Association Roundtable Discussion, April 10, 2012
- Speaker, AHLA Handling Healthcare Arbitration Effectively: Creating the Arbitration Clause and Tips for Successful Advocacy in Arbitration, March 21, 2012
- Speaker, Best Practices Litigation Roundtable, McGuireWoods LLP, July 14, 2011
- Presenter, "Portfolio Company Turnarounds", Spring 2009 Private Equity Litigation & Bankruptcy Series, McGuireWoods Complimentary Webinar, April 15, 2009
- Speaker, "Out of Network/Non-contracted Provider Disputes", McGuireWoods LLP Trends in Provider and Payor Relations Teleconference, April 16, 2008
- Speaker, "Hot Topics in Physician Credentialing: Perspectives from the Front Line", Annual Health Law Symposium, October 2005
- Speaker, "Medical Credentialing Litigation", BRIM Healthcare Inc. Conference, April 22, 2005
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. Supreme Court
Selected for inclusion in “Leading Lawyers,” Commercial Litigation, Leading Lawyers Network, Law Bulletin Publishing Company, 2007, 2011, 2016, 2023
Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, Aviation Law, Woodward/White, Inc., 2023, 2024
Named to “Illinois Super Lawyers,” Business Litigation, Bankruptcy & Creditor/Debtor Rights, Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2005-2012, 2015-2022
Honoree, “Spotlight on Leaders,” American Health Lawyers Association, 2009
Selected as an “Outstanding Health Care Litigator,” Nightingale’s Healthcare News, 2005, 2006
AV Preeminent Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- Author, "AHLA Dispute Resolution Service Council Revises Commercial Arbitration Rules", Health Law Connections, American Health Law Association, October/November 2023
- Author, Illinois Takes Expansive View of Personal Jurisdiction Over Component Parts Manufacturer, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, May 15, 2023
- Co-author, Managed Care Quarterly Review: Issue 1, McGuireWoods LLP, September 2017
- Author, Medicare Exhaustion and a Brewing Circuit Split?, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, August 23, 2017
- Author, Dealing With the ‘AR Dump’: Don’t Accept the Spreadsheet, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, August 21, 2017
- Co-author, "Key Considerations When Pursuing Overpayment Recoveries", Healthcare Liability & Litigation Newsletter, May 2017
- Author, FEHBA Insurers Prevail on Subrogation and Reimbursement Rights, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, May 9, 2017
- Co-author, "$500+ Million Jury Verdict Against Nevada Health Plans Potentially Expands Health Plan Liability for Provider Misconduct", Payors, Plans, and Managed Care Practice Group Member Alert, April 17, 2013
- Author, "Medical Loss Ratios – The Next Liability Landmine for Health Insurers", Healthcare Liability and Litigation Health Briefs, August 2012
- Co-author, "PPACA Raises Potential Liability for Managed Care Organizations", Healthcare Liability & Litigation Newsletter, May 2012
- Co-author, "The Douglas Trio", Healthcare Liability & Litigation Health Briefs, October 2011
- Co-author, "Fidelity Settles Class Action Lawsuit Alleging Collusive Reimbursement Practices", Healthcare Liability & Litigation Health Briefs, October 2010
- Co-author, "Former Tenet GC Escapes False Claims Liability on Procedural Grounds, Leaving Open Question of Personal Liability", Healthcare Liability & Litigation Health Briefs, May 5, 2010
- Author, "Illinois Courts Buck the Trend in Non-Participating Provider Reimbursement", Healthcare Liability & Litigation Health Briefs, October 15, 2009
- Author, "Court Allows Another Way to Pierce the Veil", Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, February 2006