Locke represents clients in all phases of business litigation in state and federal courts. He regularly serves as counsel on behalf of financial institutions in a wide range of matters, with a focus on mortgage-related litigation and defending claims under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, Truth in Lending Act, and other consumer protection statutes.
Locke also has significant class action experience, both in the financial services context as well as on behalf of corporations defending shareholder claims arising from mergers and other corporate action. Locke is an editor of the firm’s Class Action Countermeasures blog, which discusses the strategic considerations involved in class action defense.Following law school, Locke served as a law clerk for the Honorable Louise W. Flanagan, U.S. District Judge for the Eastern District of North Carolina.
- Defense of lending institution in multiple federal court class actions principally involving claims relating to mortgage securitization practices.
- Representation of major financial institution in a nation-wide review of debt collection practices by outside counsel, focusing on compliance with the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and regulations enforced by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
- Defense of corporate client in multiple shareholder class actions filed in North Carolina Business Court arising from merger with major national retailer.
- Defense of Fortune 20 financial institution in series of lawsuits in federal court arising out of purchases of undeveloped land. Argued and obtained summary judgment in each lawsuit that proceeded to a ruling on the merits.
- Representation of major financial institution in series of actions to establish coverage under insurance policies for losses arising from title defects in residential loan portfolio.
- Assisted credit card provider in obtaining dismissal at the pleadings stage of a putative class action alleging claims under the Electronic Funds Transfer Act.
University of Virginia School of LawJD
Editorial Board, Virginia Law Review2008
The University of North Carolina at Chapel HillBA
with Highest Honors2005
Mecklenburg County Bar Leadership Institute Class of 2016
- Hon. Louise W. Flanagan, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina, 2008-2009
- North Carolina
- Author, Key Class Action Decisions of 2018 and a 2019 Preview, Class Action Countermeasures, January 7, 2019
- Author, Second Circuit Holds Data Breach Class Action Plaintiff Lacks Sufficient Injury to Support Standing, Password Protected, May 12, 2017
- Author, Supreme Court: Plaintiff Alleging Statutory Procedural Right Violation Must Show Concrete Injury, Password Protected, May 18, 2016
- Author, Supreme Court: Plaintiff Alleging Statutory Procedural Right Violation Must Show Concrete Injury, Class Action Countermeasures, May 17, 2016