Cole focuses on advising and defending clients in antitrust, class action, and complex litigation matters. Cole has experience with all phases of complex civil litigation, with an emphasis on drafting critical motions, developing persuasive expert testimony, and managing efficient discovery.
He also represents clients in criminal investigations before the Department of Justice and counsels clients through the Federal Trade Commission’s and Department of Justice’s merger review processes.
While in law school, Cole served as an articles editor for the University of Virginia Law & Business Review. Prior to law school, Cole completed the University of Virginia McIntire School of Commerce’s McIntire Business Institute, building an understanding of how business enterprises work that helps him provide excellent client service.
- Represented leading rail transportation company as plaintiff in monopolization lawsuit challenging denial of access to key terminal facilities.
- Represented clients in multiple industries in connection with investigations by Department of Justice Antitrust and Civil Fraud Divisions.
- Represented a building products client in a class action alleging price-fixing.
- Counseled energy company in merger review investigation before Federal Trade Commission.
- Represented automotive manufacturer in a series of class actions alleging defects in diesel engines.
- Represented energy company in litigation alleging contributions to climate change.
- Served on national litigation team for a leading manufacturer of outdoor power equipment.
- Represented automotive manufacturer in product liability cases involving vehicle fires.
University of Virginia School of LawJD
Articles Editor, Virginia Law & Business Review2018
University of VirginiaBAPhilosophy
Vice Chair, Marketing Committee, American Bar Association Section of Antitrust Law, 2023-2024
Young Lawyer Representative, Trial Practice Committee, American Bar Association Section of Antitrust Law, 2023-2024
Young Lawyer Representative, Cartel and Criminal Practice Committee, American Bar Association Section of Antitrust Law, 2022-2023
- Author, DOJ Antitrust Division Announces Increased Scrutiny of Information Sharing, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, February 3, 2023
- Author, DOJ Considers Updated Guidance on Information-Sharing, as Part of Renters Bill of Rights, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, January 26, 2023
- Author, DOJ, Federal Maritime Commission to Cooperate on Antitrust Enforcement in Ocean Shipping Industry, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, March 3, 2022
- Author, Federal Trade Commission to Expand Scope of Merger Review Information Requests, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, October 1, 2021
- Author, U.S. Supreme Court Rejects Federal Trade Commission’s Restitution Authority, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 22, 2021
- Author, A New Cost-Effective Approach To Class Action Discovery, Class Action Countermeasures, June 24, 2020
- Author, "A New Cost-Effective Approach To Class Action Discovery", Law360, June 2, 2020
- Author, Motions to Strike: Challenging Specific Jurisdiction for Nonresident Putative Class Members, Class Action Countermeasures, April 15, 2020
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
Named to “Pro Bono Service Honor Roll,” Virginia Access to Justice Commission, 2022