Dave focuses his practice on mergers & acquisitions and private equity-backed corporate transactions.
He regularly represents publicly and privately held companies, private equity funds, family offices and institutional co-investors, independent sponsors and executives in a wide variety of transactional matters, including mergers, acquisitions and divestitures, platform and add-on acquisitions, leveraged buyouts, control, minority, growth and structured equity investments, joint ventures, recapitalizations, commercial transactions, executive employment agreements and corporate governance matters.
His transactional experience extends across numerous borders and spans a wide variety of industries, including specialty metals and steel, electronics, aerospace, aviation, distribution and manufacturing, healthcare, consumer products, food and beverage, oil and gas, and transportation and technology.
Dave brings a partner approach to client engagements and leverages McGuireWoods’ firm-wide emphasis on matching world-class service and capabilities with an entrepreneurial spirit to deliver tremendous value to his clients. He also regularly acts as outside general counsel for privately held companies and private equity-backed portfolio companies that have limited internal legal resources. Dave co-leads the firm’s regional independent sponsor roundtable groups in Pittsburgh and Cleveland.
Dave is the managing partner of the firm’s Pittsburgh office.
- Representation of a manufacturer of bathroom and kitchen products in its minority investment in a joint venture with an asset management company and bathroom products manufacturer.
- Representation of a leading provider electrical, industrial, and communications maintenance, repair and operations and original equipment manufacturer products, construction materials, and advanced supply chain management and logistics services in connection with its $85 million acquisition of an electrical distributor.
- Representation of a leading provider of electrical, industrial and communications maintenance, repair and operating (MRO) and original equipment manufacturers (OEM) products, construction materials, and advanced supply chain management and logistics services company, in connection with its $62 million acquisition of an electrical distributor.
- Representing Teledyne Technologies Incorporated in its $171 million merger with Bolt Technology Corporation
- Representation of an industrial supply company in $43 million acquisition of a provider of utility MRO and safety products, as well as rubber goods testing and certification services.
- Representation of seller in $200 million divestiture of general aviation aircraft piston engine business to Chinese entity.
- Representation of seller in $775 million negotiated tender offer for publicly-traded steelmaker.
- Representation of buyer in $1.35 billion negotiated purchase of public company’s steelmaking facilities.
- Representation of designer and manufacturer of commercial and military aviation radar technologies in $210 million merger transaction.
- Representation of private company in $300 million Internal Revenue Code Section 29 tax credit transaction for the production of synthetic fuel.
- Representation of buyer in $47 million plan of merger between public company and privately-held defense electronics manufacturer.
- Representation of public company in $33 million asset acquisition of RF and microwave component and subassembly business.
- Representation of public company in $40 million stock acquisition of U.S. based defense/aerospace business, United Kingdom, Swiss and French subsidiaries.
- Representation of engineering and construction firm in formation of joint venture for the production of solar power plants in North America.
- Representation of borrower in $125 million secured loan and credit facility.
University of Pittsburgh School of LawJD
Lead Executive Editor, Journal of Law and Commerce2000
- Allegheny CollegeBSEnvironmental Science1995
Member, American Bar Association
Member, Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Speaker, Independent Sponsors of Florida Networking Lunch, February 7, 2023
- Speaker, Independent Sponsors of Florida Roundtable and Reception, July 21, 2022
- Speaker, Independent Sponsors of Florida Networking Lunch, March 22, 2022
- Speaker, Independent Sponsors of Pittsburgh Virtual Roundtable Discussion, April 4, 2020
- Moderator, 2019 Independent Sponsor Conference, October 3, 2019
- Moderator, "Deal Sourcing in an Ultra-Competitive Market ", 2018 Independent Sponsor Conference, October 3, 2018
- Speaker, Independent Sponsors of the Great Lakes Region Networking Lunch, April 23, 2018
- Speaker, "Rep & Warranty Insurance", SEC Compliance and Disclosure Update, McGuireWoods LLP SEC Practice Complimentary Webinar Series, October 24, 2017
- Moderator, "The Role of the Independent Sponsor: Pre and Post Closing", 2017 Independent Sponsor Conference, October 5, 2017
- Speaker, "Contractual Blocking Rights and Statutory Rights to Vote", McGuireWoods SEC Practice Series, August 20, 2012
- Speaker, "SEC Regulation M", McGuireWoods SEC Practice Series, August 20, 2012
- Speaker, "WEEE & RoHS – Dealing with Regulations and Customer Demands", Client Presentation, August 20, 2012
- Speaker, "Internet Jurisdiction – Current Trends", CLE Presentation, August 20, 2012
- Speaker, "Asset, Stock and Merger Transactions, an Overview of Basic Structures and Differences", McGuireWoods SEC Practice Series, August 20, 2012
- Speaker, "Toxic Substances Control Act", Client Presentation, August 20, 2012
- Speaker, "Primary versus Secondary Liability under Rule 10b-5", McGuireWoods SEC Practice Series, August 20, 2012
Selected for inclusion in America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Corporate/M&A and Private Equity, Pennsylvania, Chambers USA, 2019-2023
Named, “2021 Best Law Firm Mentor,” The Legal Intelligencer, 2021
Named to “Pennsylvania Rising Stars,” Mergers and Acquisitions, Business/Corporate, Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2012, 2013
- Author, Key Takeaways From the McGuireWoods 2018 Independent Sponsor Conference, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, December 3, 2018
- Contributor, McGuireWoods Independent Sponsor Conference: Several Factors Drive Explosive Growth, The Texas Lawbook, November 6, 2018
- Author, It’s Just Math – Independent Sponsor Transaction Survey White Paper, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, May 4, 2018
- Author, Key Takeaways From the McGuireWoods 2017 Independent Sponsor Conference, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, October 30, 2017