Sara serves as the office managing partner and leader of the Jacksonville office’s complex commercial litigation group. Sara is an experienced class action and complex commercial litigator. Sara also has a robust appellate practice, representing financial institutions and corporate clients in state and federal appellate courts.
Sara has represented numerous companies in state and federal courts in Florida and around the country, as well as a variety of arbitration and administrative forums. She has defended financial institutions and other corporations in numerous class actions, including taking several cases through and defeating class certification and, when appropriate, settling cases on an individual or class-wide basis. Sara’s class action experience ranges from typical alphabet soup consumer finance class actions (FCCPA, FCRA, FACTA, FDCPA, TILA, RESPA, HUD), to unfair and deceptive trade practices (UDAP) and warranty claims. In addition to her class action work, Sara maintains a complex litigation practice representing large and small corporates in business to business disputes, real estate disputes, and defense of varied consumer claims.
Sara has represented financial institutions and other corporations in over 400 appellate matters, ranging from merits appeals, novel procedural issues on jurisdiction, to more complex issues of standing, class certification matters, UDAP application, and statutory construction.
- Successfully defeated class certification in nationwide putative class action against financial institution alleging violation of HUD regulations with improper collection of mortgage interest.
- Successfully defeated class certification in nationwide putative class action alleging violations of FACTA for information appearing on consumer transaction receipts.
- Successfully defeated several class actions on standing grounds at motion to dismiss stage in Nevada state court, alleging violations of FACTA for improper information on consumer quasi-cash receipts.
- Successfully defeated at summary judgment nationwide class actions against loan servicer alleging violations of FDCPA and consent orders concerning collection of time barred debt.
- Represents sunglasses company in related class actions alleging breaching of Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, state warranty law, and violations of FDUTPA and other state UDAP laws, successfully resolved via settlement for client.
- Represents several different financial institutions and mortgage services in putative class actions related to improper property inspection and property preservation fees, and attorney’s fee recovery on defaulted loans.
- Represented large financial institution in defense of complex claims related to mortgaged-backed securities, revolving debt facility, and secondary mortgage market gestation financing, successfully resolved via settlement for client.
- Represents Class I railroad in a variety of complex litigation matters, including concerning federal preemption, real estate litigation, easement and crossing disputes, and contract disputes.
- Obtained favorable results on appeal in hundreds of matters for financial institutions, upholding tribunal decisions at trial and summary judgment, evidentiary issues, novel procedural issues, jurisdiction and standing.
- Successfully argued novel personal jurisdiction argument before Florida Appeals Court concerning foreign manufacturer defendant.
- Acts as escalation counsel for large banking institution handling a variety of issues and claims concerning mortgage servicing and origination litigation and other high exposure issues.
- Counsels sophisticated clients concerning litigation and risk avoidance, contract interpretation, and drafting concerns.
University of Florida Levin College of LawJD
cum laude, Chief Research Editor, Journal of Technology Law and Policy, Trial Team Member2006
University of Central FloridaBALegal Studies, Commercial and Transactional Law Certificate, Litigation and Advocacy Certificate
summa cum laude2002
Member, Jacksonville Bar Association
Member, American Bar Association
Pupil (2004-2005), Associate (2014-2015), Barrister (2016-2019), Chester Bedell Inn of Court
Working Group 1 Member, Sedona Conference
- Presenter, "Standing on Sinking or Solid Ground? Appellate Decisions and Trends 2019-2020", Legal Issues and Trends in Mortgage Servicing and Origination, March 2020
- Panelist, "Key Considerations", The CFPB’s Proposed Debt-Collection Rule, McGuireWoods Webinar, June 12 & 20, 2019
- Presenter, "Great Places to Visit – Don’t stay to Litigate: Legal Developments in Hawaii and Florida", Legal Issues and Trends in Mortgage Servicing and Origination, McGuireWoods CLE, February 2018
- Presenter, "Florida Litigation", Legal Issues and Trends in Mortgage Origination and Servicing, January 2017
- Speaker, "Florida – Through the Looking Glass", Current Legal Issues and Trends in Mortgage Origination and Servicing, Mortgage Servicing In-House Counsel Forum, February 4, 2016
- Presenter, "Florida – The Land of (Unfortunate) Possibilities", Current Legal Issues and Trends in Mortgage Origination and Servicing, January 2015
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
Named to “Florida Rising Stars,” Business Litigation, Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2013-2022
Named to “40 Under 40,” Jacksonville Business Journal, 2017
- Author, En Banc 11th Circuit Joins Sister Circuits, Deeming One Text Message Enough for TCPA Standing, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, July 28, 2023
- Author, Pro-Business Amendments to Florida’s ‘Mini-TCPA’ Now in Effect, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, May 26, 2023
- Author, Florida Enacts Mini-TCPA, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, July 7, 2021
- Author, Florida Court Finds HUD Face-to-Face Requirements a Condition Precedent to Foreclosure, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, December 5, 2016
- Author, Florida Supreme Court: Each Subsequent Default Restarts the Clock in Foreclosure Cases, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, November 3, 2016
- Author, TCPA Update – Amendment Exempting Federal Debts Held Retroactive, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 12, 2016