Aaron advises a wide variety of commercial and investment banking institutions, corporations, funds, and individuals in all phases of complex commercial, securities, and insurance recovery litigation. He has represented corporate and financial sector clients in both class and individual actions in state, federal, and bankruptcy courts, arbitration, and in regulatory and internal investigations. Aaron also has a robust practice counseling businesses, funds and portfolio companies, lenders, independent sponsors, and financial advisors in post-acquisition and contractual disputes, with experience litigating claims on behalf of both buyers and sellers and in connection with representation and warranty insurance coverage.
Aaron’s pro bono experience includes Violence Against Women Act matters, civil rights actions, legislative advising, and non-profit representation. Aaron is also an emeritus member of the Board of the Pipeline to Practice Foundation, a nonprofit which works to mentor diverse law students and early-career attorneys, having previously served on the active Board for three years.
Prior to joining McGuireWoods, Aaron practiced in the securities litigation and white collar defense group at a major New York law firm and at an international investment bank as an in-house litigation attorney. He received his BA from Bowdoin College and his JD, magna cum laude and Order of the Coif, from American University, Washington College of Law, where he was a member of the editorial board of the American University Law Review and interned for the Honorable Reggie B. Walton of the United States District Court for the District of Columbia.
- Co-lead in three-week federal trial involving post-acquisition fraud and breach of contract indemnification claims.
- Representation of corporate, private equity, and independent buyers and sellers in pre-litigation, litigation, and arbitration of post-acquisition disputes, and in connection with representation & warranty insurance coverage.
- Representation of major financial institutions in litigation, arbitration, and pre-litigation matters involving alleged RICO, Uniform Commercial Code, and tort and breach of contract violations in connection with depository and trust accounts, wire transfers, certificates of deposit, and commercial disputes.
- Representation of a lender to a private equity purchaser of a cosmetic and pharmaceutical manufacturer in arbitration hearing against a major international insurer concerning the application of representation & warranty insurance.
- Representation of an international telecommunications company and subsidiaries in international arbitration hearing and related federal litigation involving allegations of contractual violations and tort claims concerning a joint venture partnership.
- Representation of an investment bank in connection with internal investigations regarding trade reporting practices.
- Representation of financial advisors in connection with litigations concerning fairness, solvency, and valuation opinions.
- Representation of international biopharmaceutical company in litigation involving allegations of securities and common law violations against a foreign shareholder and affiliates.
- Representation of a major international investment bank and senior banking individuals in state and federal civil litigations and regulatory investigations concerning residential mortgage-backed securities.
- Representation of a multinational energy company in litigation involving fuel cell maintenance contracts and related negotiations.
- Representation of individuals in regulatory investigations and civil litigation relating to energy trading.
- Representation of financial sector clients in investigations by New York state regulators, including the New York attorney general and the New York Department of Financial Services.
- Representation of a major investment firm in connection with cost of insurance rate increase disputes.
- Representation of mortgage originators subject to loan repurchase allegations, including in connection with the Lehman bankruptcy proceedings.
- Representation of a Big Four accounting firm in federal securities litigation regarding auditing procedures.
- Representation of national telecommunications companies in a variety of pre-litigation and litigation matters involving business practices and commercial contracts.
- Representation of compliance individuals in connection with FINRA investigations.
- Representation of a major railroad corporation in environmental and contractual pre-litigation disputes throughout New York State.
- Representation of a financial investment firm in connection with municipal securities trading investigations.
- Representation of hedge funds and investment banks subject to federal insider trader investigations.
- Representation of a corporation subject to Madoff-related bankruptcy clawback claims.
American University Washington College of LawJD
magna cum laude, Order of the Coif, Note & Comment Editor, American University Law Review2009
Bowdoin CollegeBAGovernment and Legal Studies
with High Honors2006
Named to “New York Rising Stars,” Business Litigation, Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2017-2020
- Author, Court Applies Purchase Price Multiple to Determine Damages in Post-Acquisition Dispute, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, October 16, 2023
- Author, Delaware Supreme Court Upholds Tesla’s 2016 Acquisition of SolarCity Under Entire Fairness Test, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, July 3, 2023
- Author, Judicial Reminder to Review Insurance Policy Language and Provide Timely Notice of a “Claim”, Pro Policyholder, March 30, 2023
- Author, Delaware Court of Chancery Extends Oversight Duties to Corporate Officers, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, February 8, 2023
- Author, Recent Michigan Court Ruling Reinforces Importance of Providing Prompt “Proof of Loss”, Pro Policyholder, June 23, 2022
- Author, Chancery Court Affirms Delaware’s Status as “Pro-Sandbagging” Jurisdiction, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, March 31, 2022
- Co-author, "Purchase Price Adjustments in Technology Deals", Deal Lawyers, January-February 2022
- Author, Tech Investing Part II: Purchase Price Adjustments, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, December 16, 2021
- Author, Delaware Supreme Court: Purchase Price Adjustment Must Be “Correctly” If Not “Consistently” Applied, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, December 9, 2021
- Author, Delaware Court Holds Parties Cannot Negotiate Away Fraudulent Inducement Claims, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, September 7, 2021
- Author, Arbitration vs. Litigation: More Than Just a Preference for RWI Policyholders, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, February 10, 2021
- Author, Delaware Court Clarifies Retention of Privilege in Asset Sales, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, June 23, 2020
- Author, NY Appellate Division Affirms Seller Retains Privilege for Certain Pre-acquisition Communications, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, December 9, 2019
- Author, Federal Court: Variable Prejudgment Interest Rate Applies to Texas Securities Act Claims, Subject to Inquiry, October 31, 2019
- Author, 2nd Circuit Suggests Precise Calculation of Damages Not Needed When Applying Contractual Damages Caps, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, June 24, 2019
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 2nd Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- Faculty, "How Badgerow May Shift the Balance of Power When Vacating or Confirming an Arbitration Award", Post-Arbitration Judicial Proceedings, Strafford CLE Webinar, June 16, 2022