Melissa regularly represents Fortune 100 companies in complex business litigation matters. Her practice focuses on commercial litigation, environmental torts, business torts, contractual disputes, and fiduciary matters. She has handled consumer litigation cases involving TILA, RESPA, FDCPA, FCRA, and state consumer protection statutes in federal and state courts. She also specializes in patent litigation matters involving consumer products, including LTE, GPS, and payment systems.
Melissa serves as chair of the firm’s Asian Lawyers Network, on the steering committee of the firm’s Appellate Justice Initiative, and as co-chair of the firm’s Consumer & Retail Financial Product Litigation Subteam.
Before entering private practice, Melissa was a judicial intern and law clerk to the Honorable Andre M. Davis in the U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland (2007, 2008-2009) and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit (2009-2010).
Melissa was also a Fulbright Fellow (2004-2005) in the Philippines researching the effects of patents on Filipino pharmaceuticals and healthcare.
While attending law school at the University of Maryland, Melissa received the William P. Cunningham Award for Exception Achievement and Service and the Litigation and Advocacy Award. As an undergraduate, she was a member of Delta Epsilon Sigma, Kappa Mu Epsilon and Sigma Pi Sigma.
Melissa served as president of the Asian Pacific American Bar Association of Maryland in 2015-2016. She has previously served as chairperson of the Community Service Committee.
- Successfully represented hotel owner in construction litigation matter.
- Successfully defended a public utility against tort claims arising out of an explosion.
- Successfully argued for change in law on conditions of supervised release as appellate amicus counsel.
- Successfully first chaired defense of securitization trustee in trial and appellate courts in lead paint matters.
- Successfully first chaired defense of mortgage servicing companies in multiple foreclosure appeals.
- Successfully first chaired defense of major financial institution in former borrower’s consumer claims in trial and appellate courts.
- Successfully defended motion for temporary restraining order and obtained early dismissal on behalf of major financial institution by customer whose fraudulently-obtained funds were frozen.
- Successfully excluded expert report and won summary judgment on behalf of major financial institution against customer’s breach of contract and negligence claims.
- Obtained early dismissal of claims against major financial institution by law firm that fell victim to phishing scheme perpetrated by third party fraudster.
- Represented public utility in mass claims process following explosion.
- Represented major financial institution in a $100 million check fraud suit brought by the District of Columbia after one of its employees issued fraudulent tax refund checks for more than $40 million dollars through an account maintained at the bank.
- Represented Class I railroad as plaintiff in recovery action against commercial truck driver arising from grade crossing collision and ensuing derailment.
- Served on appellate team that successfully represented multinational oil and gas company in its appeals of more than $1.5 billion in verdicts rendered by juries in two cases stemming from an underground gasoline leak.
- Represented major telecommunications company in various patent infringement lawsuits.
- Represented banking and lending institutions in various litigation matters ranging from allegations of fraud, violations of the Uniform Commercial Code, and violations of consumer protection and debt collection statutes.
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 3rd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
Named to “Top 40 Under 40,” The Baltimore Business Journal, 2019
Named to “Maryland’s VIP List,” The Daily Record, 2015
Named to “Maryland Rising Stars,” Business Litigation, Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2015-2018
Named to “Maryland’s Leading Women,” The Daily Record, 2013
- Author, Uptick in Payroll Protection Program Litigation Continues as Congress Increases Funding, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 29, 2020
- Author, Federal CARES Act Opinion Is Significant Win for Payroll Protection Program Lenders, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 17, 2020
- Author, "Why I Became A Lawyer: Finding A Voice, And A New Home," Law360, March 6, 2019
- University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of LawJD2008
Notre Dame of Maryland UniversityBAPhysics
summa cum laude, Dean’s List2004
Board Member, The Francis D. Murnaghan, Jr. Appellate Advocacy Fellowship
Board Member, ¡Adelante Latina!
Member, Maryland State Bar Association
Member, District of Columbia Bar Association
National Filipino American Lawyers Association
National Asian Pacific American Bar Association
Asian Pacific American Bar Association of Maryland
- Panelist, "Examining Elements of Statehood Through the Home Rule Act," 2023 District of Columbia Judicial & Bar Conference, April 28, 2023
- Co-presenter, Videoconference Depositions, April 15, 2020
- Hon. Andre M. Davis, U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland, 2008-2009
- Hon. Andre M. Davis, U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit, 2009-2010