Stephanie advises clients in intellectual property and data privacy and cybersecurity in the context of M&A transactions. As part of her work on M&A transactions, she conducts standard due diligence as an intellectual property and data privacy/cybersecurity specialist. With respect to intellectual property, she identifies intellectual property relevant to the transaction and addresses issues related to ownership and infringement risk. With respect to data privacy and cybersecurity, she counsels on compliance with PCI-DSS and whether or not a company falls under a U.S. state privacy law, including CCPA and the Virginia Consumer Protection Act. She reviews and assesses cybersecurity measures taken by clients to protect their data and provides guidance on use of IT systems following the completion of a business combination.
Stephanie also manages worldwide intellectual property portfolios, including trademark clearance, prosecution, maintenance, licensing and enforcement. Predominantly focused on consumer products, technology and energy, Stephanie has also handled advertising and marketing matters, disclaimers, claim substantiation and advertisement review and clearance.
As a result of her prior litigation practice, Stephanie is able to foresee potential litigation concerns at the earliest stages in transactional matters. She uses this experience to advise her clients on short-term and long-term risks associated with their intellectual property portfolios.
Stephanie earned her juris doctor from University of Richmond School of Law. While there, she served as an articles editor for the University of Richmond Law Review. Stephanie is a former president and executive committee member of the Greater Richmond Intellectual Property Law Association.
- Advised on intellectual property and data privacy due diligence issues for over one-hundred M&A transactions, including in the healthcare, technology, and consumer products spaces.
- Represent global financial services company, managing worldwide intellectual property portfolio.
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch, Intellectual Property Law, 2021-2024
- Author, Second Circuit Overturns Tiffany’s $21M Judgment Against Costco in Trademark Battle, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, August 18, 2020
- Author, Don’t Stop Now! Trademark Registration Is Just the Beginning, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, November 12, 2019
- Author, How Do State Governments Protect Your Personal Information?, Password Protected, June 12, 2019
- Author, The Power Paradox: The Need for Alternative Remedies in Virginia Minority Shareholder Oppression Cases, 49 U. Rich. L. Rv. 287, 2014
University of Richmond School of LawJD
cum laude, Articles Editor, University of Richmond Law Review2014
James Madison UniversityBAPolitical Science
Greater Richmond Intellectual Property Law Association, President 2018-2019
- Speaker, "Trademarks 101", 20th Annual Nonprofit Seminar, September 2023