Clinton’s practice focuses on public finance and commercial lending transactions. He represents small and large cap corporations, lenders, credit and liquidity facility providers, swap providers, investment banks, governmental issuers, corporate trustees and nonprofit organizations in a broad range of public and private financings and related commercial transactions.
Clinton has significant experience in publicly offered and privately placed taxable and tax-exempt financings of a broad range of asset classes and credit profiles, including project and real estate-based revenue bond financings of sewage and solid waste disposal facilities, manufacturing facilities, airport facilities and education, healthcare and other nonprofit facilities. He also has commercial lending experience representing a variety of regional and international banks and other institutional lenders in credit transactions across the country, with a particular emphasis on senior living, behavioral health and hospital facilities.
Clinton also devotes a considerable portion of his practice to counseling institutional lending, investment bank, governmental and corporate clients in a variety of federal securities matters, tax matters and other regulatory compliance matters.
While earning his law degree from the University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law, Clinton was a recipient of The Public Service Award in 2007. Prior to his legal career, he was an arbitrage rebate and post-issuance compliance analyst at Ernst & Young LLP.
- Bond Counsel in the offering and sale of $250 million aggregate par amount of taxable bonds by a multijurisdictional hospital system.
- Representation of the initial purchaser of approximately $96 million aggregate par amount of privately placed tax-exempt bonds for a psychiatric and behavior health organization.
- Representation of a major hospital system in the consolidation of approximately $475 million aggregate par amount of outstanding multi- modal and fixed rate tax-exempt bonds and the issuance and sale of $100 million aggregate par amount of privately placed tax-exempt bonds for the new construction of hospital facilities and related improvements.
- Bond counsel in the offering and sale of approximately $48 million aggregate par amount of tax-exempt bonds to finance and refinance privately operated airport facilities in multiple jurisdictions.
- Advice on tax-related aspects of a tax-exempt refunding and restructuring through bankruptcy of approximately $142 million aggregate par amount of tax-exempt bonds for a continuing care retirement community.
- Representation of the underwriters in the public offering and sale of approximately $162 million aggregate par amount of tax-exempt bonds for a major nonprofit multimedia organization to finance its national headquarters building.
- Representation of the lender in $100 million acquisition financing for seven independent, assisted living and memory care facilities in three states.
- Representation of a charter school in $50 million multi-tiered subleasehold acquisition and construction financing for the school’s permanent campus at the former Walter Reed Army Medical Center.
University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of LawJD
cum laude; Notes and Comments Editor, The Journal of Business and Technology Law2007
Member, National Association of Bond Lawyers
Treasurer, 2015-present; Member, 2014-present; Board of Trustees, District of Columbia International School
- Author, Proposed Securities Rule Changes for Municipal Issues Focus on Bank Loans, Other Private Placements, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, March 30, 2017
- Author, MSRB Proposes Interpretation of Rule G-17 to Restrict an Underwriter’s Ability to Consent as a Bondholder to Certain Changes in Authorizing Documents, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, February 15, 2012
- Author, Updates on Municipal Advisor Registration Requirements, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, February 8, 2012
- Author, ARRA: New IRS Guidance on Draw-Down Loans and Bond-Related Tax Deadlines, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, November 24, 2010
- Author, SEC Requires “Municipal Advisors” to Register by October 1, 2010, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, September 20, 2010
- Author, Dodd-Frank Financial Reform Act Will Impact Municipal Securities Market, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, July 22, 2010
- Author, An Important Reminder about Schedule K of IRS Form 990 (Tax-Exempt Bonds), McGuireWoods Legal Alert, July 15, 2010
- Author, Extension of Stimulus Act Bond Provisions in Doubt as Bill Founders in Senate, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, July 13, 2010
- Author, SEC Approves Amendments Expanding Continuing Disclosure Requirements Under Rule 15c2-12, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, June 15, 2010
- Author, IRS Announces New Rules Relating to Certain Qualified Tax Credit Bonds and Build America Bonds, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, May 20, 2010
- Author, IRS Announces Rules for Separating Tax Credits and Qualified Tax Credit Bonds, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 12, 2010