Peter Szurley represents financial institutions, hedge funds and finance companies. He handles complex commercial financings of all kinds, including syndicated and single-bank lending transactions, equipment leasing, securitizations and structured finance.
He also works on domestic and cross-border transactions (particularly involving aircraft financings and sales). Financial institutions turn to Peter for his experience in credit restructurings inside and outside of bankruptcy and hedge funds seek his counsel on financing and general corporate matters. Peter is the immediate past co-chair of the Opinions Committee of the Business Law Section of the California Lawyers Association and is a member of its Steering Committee.
University of Southern California Gould School of LawJD
Member, Southern California Law Review1985
University of California Los AngelesBA
Co-Chair, Opinions Committee, and Member, Steering Committee, California State Bar Business Law Section, 2017
Founding Member and Director, California Lawyers Guild, 2016
Former Co-Chair and Co-Vice Chair, California State Bar Council of State Bar Sections
Former Co-Chair and Co-Vice Chair, Uniform Commercial Code Committee, California State Bar Business Law Section
American Bar Association, Business Law Section
- Author, Federal Regulators Update Policy on Commercial Real Estate Loan Accommodations and Workouts, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, July 12, 2023
- Author, Lenders Beware – Default Interest in California May Be Unlawful, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, October 28, 2022
- Member, Drafting Committee, Sample California Third-Party Legal Opinion for Business Transactions, 2010
- Lead Editor and Principal Contributor, Report on Opinions in Personal Property Secured Transactions, 2005
- Reporter, Report on the Amendments to Articles 3 and 4 of the Uniform Commercial Code, 2003
- Co-reporter, Report on Revised Article 1 of the Uniform Commercial Code, 2002
Named “Lawyer of the Year,” Securitization and Structured Finance, The Best Lawyers in America, Woodward/White, Inc., 2018, 2024
Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, Securitization and Structured Finance, 2018-2024; Commercial Finance Law, 2022, 2023, 2024; Banking and Finance Law, 2023, 2024, Woodward/White, Inc.
Selected for inclusion in America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Banking and Finance, California, Chambers USA, 2017-2023
Selected for inclusion in “Legal 500 United States,” Transport: Aviation and Air Travel – Finance, 2021, 2022
Selected for inclusion as a “Leading Lawyer,” Transport: Aviation and Air Travel: Finance, California, Legal 500 US, 2018