McGuireWoods’ renewable energy team brings together legal, policy, energy technology and business experience to meet the challenges our clients face. For more than 20 years, we have been advancing our clients’ interests by getting deals done, by helping clients successfully and creatively navigate the complexities and pitfalls in this dynamically evolving industry and by maximizing the value of various tax, energy, environmental, and governmental incentives available to the renewable energy industry.
Our legal services include assisting in all aspects of the development, acquisition/disposition, construction, debt finance, tax equity finance, ownership and operation of solar (including roof-top and utility scale), biomass (including wood, wood waste, LFG, animal and plant waste), wind (on and off -shore), energy storage, hydroelectric and geothermal projects. This includes drafting and negotiating the agreements and processes related to project siting and all real estate/land-use issues, joint venture and tax equity structuring, off-take or management of energy or resource (including power purchase agreements, energy hedges, tolling agreements, renewable energy credit transactions and all other aspects of energy management and scheduling), equipment supply, construction, O&M and other service arrangements, environmental permitting and review of incentives, regional energy market integration and participation, REC markets, and carbon management opportunities.
Areas of Strength
- Acquisition and disposition of, and joint ventures involving, renewable energy projects at various stages of project development
- Financing of renewable energy projects, including structuring tax equity transactions, construction financing, and back-leverage debt
- Development, construction and operation of renewable energy projects
- Siting, interconnection, permitting and other regulatory issues
- Power purchase agreements, energy hedges, renewable energy credit sales and other offtake agreements
We actively counsel clients at various stages of project development and in the acquisition and disposition of projects nationwide in the following areas:
- Biomass and alternative fuels
- Energy efficiency and storage
- Renewable procurement
- Solar energy
- Wind energy