While many law firms now have experience in corporate integrity, few have counseled companies in connection with the complex range of matters that McGuireWoods has both inside and outside the United States. Our experience has created a high level of credibility and relationships with enforcement decision-makers at the DOJ, SEC, SFO and other key law enforcement and regulatory agencies.
- Direct experience with government policymakers and decision-makers,
including intimate knowledge of prosecutorial processes.
- A full-service cross border investigations team that is fully integrated
with a robust ethics and compliance counseling and investigation practice.
- Experience with Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), UK Bribery Act and
other anti-corruption and corporate integrity matters in more than 150
countries on six continents;
Over the last fifteen years, there has been an unprecedented rise in the
number, severity and scope of FCPA and other anti-bribery and anti-corruption
(ABAC) enforcement actions by the U.S. government. At the same time, foreign and
international anti-corruption laws and standards are proliferating, along with
close cooperation amongst U.S. and non-U.S. law enforcement. We have experienced
these developments from the front lines, advising a broad spectrum of clients –
including some of the largest multinational companies in the world – as they
navigate internal and external investigations, compliance program development
and enhancement, and other critical facets of FCPA and other ABAC matters.
Our lawyers regularly conduct internal investigations and defend external
investigations across major substantive areas relevant to international trade,
including the FCPA, UK Bribery Act, False Claims Act and related qui tam
matters, sanctions regulations (OFAC), Export Administration Regulations (EAR)
and International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). We conduct internal audits
and investigations focused on identifying suspected violations, prepare
voluntary self-disclosures for submission to the government and work to
negotiate with the government for the best possible result. We represent clients
at every stage of these government investigations — from informal inquiries
through disciplinary proceedings and appeals.
How We Help
Clients in the financial services, energy, aerospace, defense and government
services, manufacturing, software, and life sciences industries look to us to:
- Conduct risk assessments, develop operational “heat maps” designed to
rank higher risk areas, and otherwise help clients to understand, quantify
and prioritize the risks they face
- Develop and provide general, operation, function or region-specific
- Conduct compliance audits, reviews, and assessments
- Conduct pre-merger and post-acquisition M&A due diligence, and assist
with follow-on business and compliance integration efforts
- Deploy a robust and effective anti-corruption compliance program to
avoid or mitigate the potential damage from a DOJ, SEC or non-U.S.
- Conduct third-party due diligence and help to develop and deploy
third-party due diligence protocols and programs
- Develop a hotline or other issue reporting and escalation procedures,
and assist in the review and resolution of reported issues
- Conduct internal investigations and defend external investigations
McGuireWoods is home to an elite government investigations and white collar
defense practice. Our lawyers are experienced in all major substantive areas
relevant to international trade, including the FCPA, UK Bribery Act, False
Claims Act and related qui tam matters, sanctions regulations (OFAC, BIS and
State), EAR and ITAR. Our corporate integrity team includes former high-level
government enforcement officials including:
- Deputy Attorney General for the United States of America
- Assistant Attorney General for National Security
- UK’s Serious Fraud Office and Financial Services Authority
- Former high-level government enforcement officials at the SEC and DOJ
- U.S. and Assistant U.S. Attorneys; and
- Roles within the White House, FBI and FINRA.
As such, our team members are considered thought-leaders in the FCPA
field and routinely contribute to articles on ABAC-related topics, including
regular publication on
The FCPA Blog,
Law 360 and the firm’s blog,
Inquiry. They have been recognized as leading practitioners in FCPA by Chambers
USA and Chambers Global.
For more details,
download our team brochure.