Alec has broad experience in complex litigation, with emphasis on financial services litigation and regulation, insurance coverage, and business torts. He has also handled disputes at the trial and/or appellate level involving mergers and acquisitions, trade secret disputes, shareholder derivative and class action suits, as well as construction litigation. He currently manages a series of lending disputes and regulatory matters for multiple lenders, including large and midsize businesses. His clients span a wide variety of industries and have included Fortune 100 companies, small and midsize businesses, individuals, and nonprofit institutions.
Alec also has a commitment to pro bono, civic, and philanthropic endeavors. He focuses his civic and philanthropic work in the areas of community improvement and mental health. With respect to the latter, Alec helped attract funding for a mental health facility in Charlotte named Hopeway and currently assists with financial aid and an annual speaker series. He also was selected to participate in Community Building Initiative’s Leadership Under 40 program, which convenes a diverse group of emerging community leaders to build connections and become more educated about the Charlotte community and its issues.
- Representation of lender pursuing $20 million in coverage under representation & warranty insurance coverage against insurer related to representations and warranties made in M&A deal. Obtained recovery for client following AAA evidentiary hearing.
- Defense of anesthesiology practice for largest health care provider in Carolinas against non-compete, unfair trade practices, and anti-competition claims brought by public company related to $100 million anesthesiology contract. Obtained dismissal of action.
- Part of trial team in multimillion dollar fraud case in the Southern District of New York arising out of challenges to representations and warranties in M&A deal. Obtained favorable ruling for client.
- Representation of multiple clients in connection with claims for insurance coverage in complex disputes with insurers. Experience includes handling all phases of complex litigation and trying cases in state and federal court and before arbitral panels.
- Representation of real estate investment company in AAA arbitration related to contract dispute. Resolved entirely in client’s favor.
- Representation of a large financial institution in UCC and tort litigation brought by former customer, alleging millions in damages. Settled favorably for client.
- Representation of a large financial institution in lawsuit alleging millions in damages for credit reporting violations. Prevailed in several motions before obtaining favorable settlement.
- Representation of food service provider in connection with government contracting, bid protest, and FOIA matters.
- Representation of a large financial institution in litigation arising from an insurance fraud scheme perpetrated by bank customers.
- Served as first-chair lawyer in bench trial where borrower alleged origination fraud counterclaims in an attempt to block a foreclosure action filed by Fortune 20 financial institution and obtained verdict in favor of client.
- Representation of a large financial institution in a nationwide audit and investigation related to third party service providers and consumer protection compliance.
- Representation of a building materials and supply company in numerous litigations brought by subcontractors.
- Representation of multiple small businesses in shareholder and fiduciary litigation.
The University of North Carolina School of LawJD
with Honors, Institute Editor, North Carolina Banking Institute Journal2013
Washington and Lee UniversityBAAmerican History
The rules of professional conduct in some jurisdictions require disclosure of selection methodology for certain public accolades and recognitions. Click here to view available selection methodologies.
Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch, Commercial Litigation, 2021-2024
Named to “North Carolina Rising Stars,” Business Litigation, Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2019-2023
Selected for inclusion into the North Carolina Pro Bono Honor Society, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022
Named to “Legal Elite,” Young Guns (Lawyers under 40), Business North Carolina, 2021
- Author, N.C. Supreme Court Provides Guidance on Maximizing Insurance Coverage for Long-Tail Claims, Pro Policyholder, January 9, 2023
- Author, New Complaint – Whitmore v. Horwitz, Ponzi Perspectives, June 24, 2021
- Author, Debt Collection Practices Under Scrutiny of CFPB and NY Attorney General, Subject to Inquiry, November 11, 2016
- Author, CFPB’s Supervisory Highlights Regarding Auto Lending, Subject to Inquiry, July 15, 2016
- Author, Recent Scrutiny of CFPB’s Complaint Database Foretells Problems for Businesses, Subject to Inquiry, February 16, 2016
- Author, CFPB Targets Pension Lenders in Dodd-Frank Suit, Subject to Inquiry, October 14, 2015
- Author, CFPB Targets Practices Impacting the Elderly, Subject to Inquiry, July 30, 2015
- Author, CFPB Pursues Recovery Against For-Profit College Corinthian and Relief for Its Students, Subject to Inquiry, June 5, 2015
- Author, President Signs TRIA Reauthorization Into Law, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, January 13, 2015
- Author, Fighting Yesterday’s Battles: Proposed Changes to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, 16 N.C. Banking Inst., 2012
- North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of North Carolina
- Co-presenter, "Recent NCBC Decisions 2017-2018: Selected Decisions and Practice Pointers", CLE sponsored annually by the North Carolina Business Court and Mecklenburg County Bar, November 2, 2018
- Co-presenter, "Recent NCBC Decisions 2016-2017: Selected Decisions and Practice Pointers", CLE sponsored annually by the North Carolina Business Court and Mecklenburg County Bar, May 19, 2017
- Co-presenter, "Recent North Carolina Business Court Decisions: Selected Decisions and Practice Pointers", CLE sponsored annually by the North Carolina Business Court and Mecklenburg County Bar, May 6, 2016
- Co-presenter, "Recent North Carolina Business Court Decisions: 2014-2015", CLE sponsored annually by the North Carolina Business Court and Mecklenburg County Bar, May 8, 2015
- Co-presenter, "North Carolina Business Court: Recent Decisions", CLE sponsored annually by the North Carolina Business Court and Mecklenburg County Bar, May 30, 2014