Sabrina is a partnership and corporate tax attorney with more than 18 years of experience providing domestic and international tax transaction planning and advisory services, as well as general corporate, corporate governance, private equity, and real estate finance advisory services to her clients.
Sabrina’s clients include public and private corporations, investment banks, private equity funds and other private companies. She represents clients across a multitude of industries in structuring, negotiating, and documenting the tax consequences of their partnerships and joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, real estate and REIT transactions, domestic and cross-border financings and other corporate combinations and reorganizations.
Sabrina also has served as tax and corporate counsel structuring, negotiating and implementing tax credit driven transactions including NMTC, LIHTC, HTC and Energy tax credit syndication transactions. Sabrina is a trusted resource to her clients, partnering with them to bring practical solutions to their complex tax problems.
Throughout her career, Sabrina has served as general counsel to a number of nonprofit corporations and utilizes her mastery of nonprofit, corporate and partnership tax law to structure and implement cutting-edge transactions in the social impact investment and ESG space.
Private Equity Transactions
- Representation of Banner Ventures, a venture capital and private equity firm, in its investment in a $20M acquisition of a family-owned specialty plastic packaging manufacturer.
- Representation of a fund sponsor in the formation and capitalization of its $150M buyout fund.
- Representation of a nonprofit fund sponsor in the formation of its $100M social impact investment fund.
- Representation of a manufacturer in its add-on acquisitions totaling over $1B in value with a 12-month period.
- Representation of ALCOM, a leading manufacturer and supplier of aluminum trailers and a portfolio company of Valley Ridge Investment Partners, in its $26M add-on acquisition of a manufacturer of premium aluminum trailer products.
- Representation of a private equity firm in its $50M acquisition of a manufacturing company.
REIT and Energy Transactions
- Representation of a self-managed REIT in its $300M acquisition of a public non-traded REIT.
- Representation of a self-managed REIT in a self-administration reorganization transaction.
- Representation of an Up-REIT in the issuance of profits interests to management.
- Representation of a solar developer in its $80M tax equity financing.
- Preparation of tax opinions for a solar developer under a “physical work test” and “5% safe harbor.”
Debt Finance and Securities Transactions
- Representation of a publicly-traded investment company in a series of bond issuances.
- Representation of large banks in various credit agreement transactions.
- New York University School of LawLLMTaxation2010
- Columbia Law SchoolJD2004
Morgan State UniversityBASpeech Communication
magna cum laude1999
Vice Chair, Real Estate Committee, ABA Tax Section, 2021-present
ABA Tax Section, Leader of Diversity Liaisons and Diversity Liaison for Closely-held businesses committee, 2021-present
Member, Nominations Committee, ABA Tax Section, 2022-present
Co-chair, Tax Section, Law Firm Anti-Racism Alliance, 2021-present
Chair, Membership Committee, Tax Section, Tax Counsel, NC Bar Association, 2020-present
Member, New York State Bar Association
Member, New Jersey Bar Association
Member, American Bar Association
Member, National Bar Association
- Speaker, "Partnership Hot Topics Panel", DC Tax Bar Association, January 2024
- Speaker, "Cryptocurrency: Federal and State Tax Considerations", Wealth Planning Scouting Report, Charlotte and Richmond, October 20 and 27, 2022
- Moderator, "The Wonderful World of Tax Insurance", American Bar Association Tax Section: Annual Fall Meeting, October 13-15, 2022
- Speaker, "Tax Considerations Related to Mission or Program-Related Investments", 19th Annual Nonprofit Seminar, Richmond, Charlottesville and Raleigh, September – October 2022
- Co-Chair, LawLine, December 4, 2021
- Speaker, "Key Tax Considerations for Foreign Investment in the U.S.", LawLine, December 4, 2021
- Co-Chair, Penn State Law: Perspectives on Minority Business Development, Part II, November 30, 2021
- Panelist, "Women In Tax Law Student Outreach Panel", ABA Tax Section Women’s Tax Forum, October 29, 2021
- Presenter, "Current Developments in Structuring Real Estate Partnerships", ABA Tax Section 2021 May Meeting, Real Estate Committee, May 14, 2021
- Co-Chair, Penn State Law: Perspectives on Minority Business Development, Part I, April 20, 2021
- Presenter, "The Tax Fallout of Business Breakups", ABA Tax Section 2020 May Meeting, Closely Held Businesses Committee, May 13, 2020
- Faculty Presenter, PLI, Introduction to Issues Arising from Advising a Small Minority-Owned Business, January 26, 2020
- New Jersey
- New York
- North Carolina
The rules of professional conduct in some jurisdictions require disclosure of selection methodology for certain public accolades and recognitions. No aspect of these advertisements have been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Click here to view available selection methodologies.
Selected for inclusion in “Legal 500 United States,” Not-for-profit: Nonprofit and Tax-Exempt Organizations, 2022
Named, “Dealmaker of the Year,” The American Lawyer, 2021
Named a “Tax MVP,” Law360, 2021
Named to, “Lawdragon 500 Leading Dealmakers in America,” 2021
Named to N.C. Pro Bono Honor Society, N.C. Pro Bono Resource Center, 2020
- Author, IRS Issues Guidance for Direct Payments of Energy Tax Credits, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, June 20, 2023
- Author, IRS Issues Guidance for Transferability of Energy Tax Credits, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, June 16, 2023
- Author, IRS Issues More Guidance for Section 48C Advanced Energy Project Tax Credit Allocation Program, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, June 2, 2023
- Author, Domestic Content 10% Bonus Guidance Released (IRS Notice 2023-38), McGuireWoods Legal Alert, May 15, 2023
- Author, Opening Soon — Application for Section 48C Advanced Energy Project Investment Tax Credit, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, May 9, 2023
- Author, IRS Issues Guidance for Energy Community Bonus Tax Credits – Notice 2023-29, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 5, 2023
- Author, Energy Credits — Treasury, IRS Promise Direct Pay and Transferability Registry and Guidance, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, March 27, 2023
- Author, IRS Issues Guidance for Energy Tax Credits in Low-Income Communities – Notice 2023-17, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, February 16, 2023
- Author, Enforcers Eye Crypto Tax Dodgers, Their Accountants and Lawyers, Consumer FinSights, April 7, 2022
- Author, Build Back Better Act, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, September 24, 2021