Joe is a partner in our Atlanta office and a member of the firm’s Commercial Litigation department. Joe’s practice primarily focuses on representing policyholders in complex commercial insurance coverage disputes.
He represents insurance policyholders in all aspects of insurance coverage disputes including complex litigation and arbitration matters relating to property damage, bad faith claims, directors and officers liability (D&O), professional liability / errors and omissions (E&O), cyber /privacy liability, government expropriation, product liability and advertising injury, as well as advising clients in obtaining best in class terms and conditions with U.S. and international insurers for commercial property, D&O, E&O, representation and warranty, cyber, political risk, and other lines of insurance coverage.
Joe’s clients span a multitude of industries, including financial institutions, energy and infrastructure companies, restaurants and hospitality companies, and manufacturing companies. He represents insurance brokers against professional negligence claims involving complex coverage issues. Additionally, Joe regularly advises companies on risk management needs arising out of insurance policy renewals and mergers and acquisitions.
Joe is a frequent author and speaker on topics relating to insurance and crisis management and other commercial litigation issues. He has been named as a Georgia Rising Star by Super Lawyers from 2018-2020.
Joe is a lecturer at the Georgia Institute of Technology School of Public Policy. He was selected to the 2015 class of Leadership North Fulton and also serves on an advisory board for the North Fulton Chamber of Commerce.
- Representing one of the largest providers of short-term and long-term health care services in the U.S., in insurance recovery litigation under D&O policy for multimillion-dollar losses incurred in underlying qui tam litigation.
- Representing a major power company in the pursuit of hundreds of millions of dollars for losses sustained in 2017 during Hurricane Maria under property / business interruption policies issued by European-, London-, and U.S.-based insurers.
- Represented a Fortune 500 financial institution in insurance recovery litigation seeking over $500 million in coverage under banker’s professional liability policies for hundreds of claims arising before and after the financial crisis.
- Represented a German multinational chemical company in connection with the recovery of property damage and business interruption insurance from European-insurers and in the defense of complex subrogation claims arising out of 2017 explosion at polysilicon plant in Tennessee.
- Represented the world’s leading sustainable manufacturer and supplier of carbon black additives in successful multi-state bad faith insurance recovery litigation, following successful resolution of bet-the-company litigation with a former parent regarding indemnification obligations under spin-off agreement.
- Represented one of the largest providers of short-term and long-term health care services in the U.S., in insurance recovery litigation under D&O policy for multi-million dollar losses incurred in underlying New York litigation.
- Represented manufacturer of home entertainment products in multi-million dollar case involving invasion of privacy and trademark infringement claims. Settlement, which involved resolution of related declaratory relief action against insurance company, resulted in payment of nominal amount by client.
- Served as national coordinating counsel for international chemical company’s U.S. toxic tort litigation, and, in connection with that role, successfully obtained insurance coverage for long-tail exposure claims under decades-old CGL and excess insurance policies.
- Represented technology company providing managed hosting services in multi-million business dispute with one of its customers involving claims for breach of contract and unfair business practices.
- Defended lenders and national financial services organizations in numerous state and federal trial court actions filed by plaintiffs asserting violations of federal and state consumer protection statutes and/or common law claims including fraud, negligence, breach of contract, quiet title, promissory estoppel, etc.
- Advocated on behalf of multinational financial institution on numerous appellate matters.
- Defended manufacturer of animal health products in federal court against Lanham Act claims for alleged trademark and trade dress infringement and false advertising.
- University of San Diego School of LawJD2009
- Northwestern UniversityBA2003
Advisor, North Fulton Chamber of Commerce
- Speaker, "Insurance Issues and Protection Against Defaulting Subcontractors", Construction Industry Challenges 2022, May 24, 2022
- Speaker, "COVID-19 Business Interruption Insurance Litigation", Atlanta Bar Association Litigation Section, December 11, 2020
- Speaker, "Insurance Recovery Options for Coronavirus Related Losses", NACD’s Recovery Roadmap Series, June 4, 2020
- Speaker, "Insurance Recovery Options During Coronavirus Crisis", RIMS Atlanta Chapter Webinar 2, April 10, 2020
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Georgia
Selected for inclusion in “Legal 500 United States,” Insurance: Advice to Policyholders, 2022, 2023
Selected for inclusion as a “Leading Lawyer” in Insurance, Chambers USA, 2022, 2023
Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch, Commercial Litigation, Litigation – Intellectual Property, 2022
Named a “Rising Star,” Georgia, Super Lawyers, 2018-2021
2015 Class Graduate, Leadership North Fulton, 2015
- Author, PFAS Liability and Insurance: Potential Avenues to Mitigate Exposure for PFAS Risks through Insurance, Pro Policyholder, July 31, 2023
- Author, Financial Institutions and Bank Directors and Officers in the Crosshairs – Are Their Insurance Policies Really Primed and Ready?, Pro Policyholder, March 17, 2023
- Author, Case Law Developments for Biometric Information Privacy Act Damages, Insurance Recovery Claims, Pro Policyholder, August 4, 2022
- Author, Russia and the Insurance Angle — Tapping Political Risk and Other Insurance Coverages, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, March 18, 2022
- Author, “Securing Coverage for Investors’ Political Risk Claims in 2022, Law360 Insurance Authority, January 27, 2022
- Author, In a Hard Global Insurance Market, Will Insurers Cover Political Risk Insurance Claims?, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, January 19, 2022
- Author, New York’s Highest Court Sides With Insured: $140M Disgorgement Payment Is Covered Loss, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, December 13, 2021
- Author, "Biometric Data Regulations: Do Your Insurance Policies Cover This Emerging Risk?", The Insurance Coverage Law Center, October 15, 2019