Nick is a lawyer in the firm’s Richmond office with extensive experience in antitrust law and class-action defense. Nick is a soup-to-nuts litigator, with experience in all phases of complex civil actions. He is also a critical drafting specialist with a passion for concise, elegant legal writing. Clients and colleagues frequently turn to Nick as the lead drafter for case-dispositive motions, appeals, and other forms of high-stakes written advocacy, including agency white papers.
Nick’s recent engagements include representing a building products client in a class action alleging price-fixing, a transportation industry client in a class action alleging a nationwide no-poach conspiracy, and a construction industry client in a suit brought under the Robinson-Patman Act.
In 2020, Nick was selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch, Litigation – Antitrust. He is also active in the Antitrust Section of the American Bar Association, currently serving as Vice Chair on the Legislation Committee.
Prior to joining McGuireWoods, Nick served as a law clerk for Judge Diana Gribbon Motz of the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, and as a legal fellow at The Constitution Project. He began his career as an associate in the Washington, D.C. office of another major international law firm.
Nick earned his J.D., summa cum laude, from the University of Pennsylvania Law School, where he served as the editor-in-chief of the University of Pennsylvania Law Review and as a legal writing instructor. Nick also received the Lipman Redman prize for best first-year appellate brief, and along with a partner, won Penn’s annual moot court competition, the Keedy Cup.
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch, Litigation – Antitrust, 2021-2024; Antitrust Law, 2024
Named to “Pro Bono Service Honor Roll,” Virginia Access to Justice Commission, 2022
- Author, DOJ Withdraws ‘Out of Date’ Antitrust Enforcement Guidance Relating to Healthcare Providers, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, February 8, 2023
- Author, DOJ Antitrust Division Announces Increased Scrutiny of Information Sharing, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, February 3, 2023
- Author, DOJ Considers Updated Guidance on Information-Sharing, as Part of Renters Bill of Rights, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, January 26, 2023
- Author, DOJ Antitrust, HHS Enter 2023 With New Memorandum of Understanding, Coordinated Enforcement, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, December 27, 2022
- Author, Supreme Court to Review When DOJ May Dismiss Relator Suits, The FCA Insider, July 29, 2022
- Author, DOJ Antitrust Division Adds Promptness Requirement to Leniency Program, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 5, 2022
- Author, Seventh Circuit Stresses the Distinction Between Article III Standing and Antitrust Standing, Class Action Countermeasures, March 23, 2022
- Author, DOJ Signals Intent to Bring Criminal Charges for Monopolization, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, March 7, 2022
- Author, Biden Signs Sweeping Executive Order Designed to Expand Antitrust Regulation and Increase Enforcement, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, July 9, 2021
- Author, Ninth Circuit Stresses District Court’s Duty to Weigh Competing Expert Evidence at Class Certification, Class Action Countermeasures, April 26, 2021
- Author, Proposed Rules Aimed at High-Risk Brokers Confirm FINRA Push for Firms to “Do Their Part”, Subject to Inquiry, June 26, 2017
- Co-author, "Informal Discovery Through Social Media: Ethical Considerations", 2016
- Author, Rethinking the Cooperation Clause in Standard Liability Insurance Contracts, 2013
University of Pennsylvania Law SchoolJD
summa cum laude, Order of the Coif, Editor-in-Chief, University of Pennsylvania Law Review2013
Northwestern UniversityBSPerformance Studies
magna cum laude, with Honors2007
Vice-Chair, Legislation Committee, Section of Antitrust Law, American Bar Association, 2020-2021
- Speaker, Antitrust & Competition Update: Back-to-School Edition, September 14, 2023
- Speaker, Antitrust & Competition Update, April 27, 2023
- Speaker, 2023 Antitrust Spring Meeting, March 29-31, 2023
- Speaker, Antitrust & Competition Update, January 26, 2023
- Hon. Diana G. Motz, U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit, 2014-2015