Karl is a corporate lawyer whose practice focuses on UK and international M&A, corporate finance, private equity, corporate reorganisations, corporate governance, partnerships and joint ventures.
His experience covers a range of industries, including healthcare, life sciences, telecommunications, retail, energy and natural resources, in respect of which he has acted for a variety of clients including start-ups, SMEs and blue chip companies. Karl has worked on transactions in the UK, Western Europe, the U.S., South Africa and India.
Additional areas of expertise include commercial contracts. Karl advises in relation to supply chain contracts, manufacturing and distribution agreements, agency contracts, licence agreements, reseller and introducer agreements, sale and purchase terms and conditions as well as a range of other commercial contracts.
- Advised the management team of a global leader in claims management, loss adjusting and auditing services in relation to a secondary buyout by a U.S. sponsor for in excess of £220,000,000.
- Acted for a global investor, owner and operator of senior living facilities in relation to its acquisition of the Signature Care Homes Group.
- Advised IMImobile in relation to its IPO on AIM.
- Acted for Revera Inc. in relation to its various cross-border joint ventures and subsequent investments in senior living facilities.
- Advised Manolo Blahnik in relation to its global corporate restructuring and the reorganisation of his trademark portfolio.
- Advised Highlander Partners LP in relation to its acquisition of Fuerst Day Lawson Holdings Limited.
- Acted for Arlington Investors Limited in relation to its various investments into student accommodation assets.
- Advised Highgate Hotels in relation to an equity fundraising of £25,000,000.
- Advised Orix USA Corporation in relation to its international group reorganisation.
- Solicitor England and Wales
- Author, Economic Crime and Corporate Transparency Act Becomes Law: What Companies Need to Know, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, October 26, 2023
- Author, Companies House Reforms: The Economic Crime and Corporate Transparency Bill, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, October 10, 2023
- Co-author, "What Lies Ahead? Global Mergers & Acquisitions", Meet McGuireWoods London, May 19, 2021
- Author, FCA to Consult on Amendments to UK Listing Rules for Special Purpose Acquisition Companies, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 13, 2021
- Author, The Status of EU-UK Data Flows Following Brexit, Password Protected, January 28, 2021
- Author, M&A Pricing Structures in Uncertain Times, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, December 7, 2020
- Author, New FCA Measures to Aid UK-Regulated Market and SME Growth Market Companies, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 21, 2020
- Author, British Government Announces £350 Billion Aid Package for UK Businesses, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, March 23, 2020
- Author, Measure of Damages for Breach of Warranty, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, July 11, 2019
- Author, Companies: Beware of Relying on Precontractual Negotiations, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, June 10, 2019
- Author, Breach of Fiduciary Duties by a Dissenting Director, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, March 23, 2019
- Author, A Dividend Payment Can Constitute a Transaction Defrauding Creditors, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, February 20, 2019
- Author, Implications of Brexit on GDPR, Password Protected, November 28, 2018
- Author, U.S. Companies: Are You Ready for GDPR?, Password Protected, March 14, 2018
- Author, UK Private Equity and Venture Capital Funds, Take Note: New PFLP, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, March 14, 2017
- Author, Further Reforms to the ‘Persons With Significant Control’ Regime, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, December 12, 2016
- Author, UK: Register of People with Significant Control, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 13, 2016
The University of Law, London MoorgateLPC
University of East AngliaLLB
Named a “Recommended Lawyer,” M&A: Smaller Deals Up to £50m: Tier2, The Legal 500 UK, 2022