Mark has extensive national, regional and local media and public affairs experience and focuses his practice on crisis and strategic communications, media relations and issue advocacy.
Mark works with the law firm’s data privacy and security, education, food and beverage and healthcare and life sciences teams to provide mock simulations and crisis communications training to clients. Mark also works with the consulting firm’s various state government relations teams to provide issue advocacy messaging and media relations. And, Mark helps direct McGuireWoods Consulting’s association management offerings.
Mark joined McGuireWoods Consulting in 2007. Prior to that, Mark was public relations officer for the Virginia Credit Union where he oversaw the organization’s media relations, public affairs and legislative outreach efforts. Mark has also worked as a television anchor and reporter in Richmond (WWBT-12), Portland, Oregon (KOIN-6) and Salisbury, Maryland (WBOC-16).
McGuireWoods Consulting LLC (“MWC”) is a wholly owned subsidiary of the McGuireWoods LLP law firm. From time to time, various McGuireWoods lawyers provide non-legal services to MWC clients, but MWC cannot provide legal services or advice. Therefore, any work MWC performs for a client does not give rise to an attorney-client relationship or privilege. Should you require legal services from McGuireWoods, as well as consulting services from MWC, you must engage the law firm separately.
- University of MarylandBAMass Communications1982
Recipient, “Best in Show” and “Commonwealth Award of Excellence,” for work on Ashley’s Law, Virginia Public Relations Society of America, 2012
- Author, Reputation Management Is Key in a Competitive Senior Living Marketplace, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, September 25, 2023
- Author, Key Takeaways From McGuireWoods’ Food and Beverage and Private Equity Update, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, November 8, 2019
- Author, 5 Key Takeaways from McGuireWoods’ Latest Food Safety Crisis & Risk Management Webinar, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, March 8, 2016
Member, Public Relations Society of America
Former Chair, Central Virginia Chapter, National Multiple Sclerosis Society, 2008-2010
Former Honorary Chair, Alzheimer’s Association Memory Walk, 2006-2007
- Speaker, "Communications in a Crisis Part II – Post-Pandemic Reputation Protection", 20th Annual Nonprofit Seminar, September 2023
- Speaker, "Communications in a Crisis – Protecting Your Reputation in the Process", 19th Annual Nonprofit Seminar, Richmond, Charlottesville, Charlotte and Raleigh, September – October 2022
- Speakers, Investigations and Crisis Management for Educational Institutions, November 4, 2021
- Panelist, Adapting, Preparing and Succeeding in Virtual Litigation in a COVID-19 World, December 17, 2020
- Panelist, "Can I Call This Meat? Can I Call That Milk? Regulating Traditional Food Terms in An Age of Evolving Protein Choices", Dallas Food and Beverage M&A and Private Equity Update, October 29, 2019
- Speaker, Proposed Title IX Regulations: Preparing for a New Framework, November 28, 2018
- Speaker, Food Safety Crisis & Risk Management, McGuireWoods LLP Webinar, March 3, 2016
- Co-speaker, "FSMA and Your Recall Plans and Best Practices", Food Safety Challenges in an Era of Change: How to Better Protect Your Food and Beverage Company, Your Customers and Yourself, October 9, 2014
- Speaker, Hospital Transactions and Affiliations Webinar Series, June 7, 2012