Justin focuses his practice on complex commercial and business litigation. He advises a wide variety of banking institutions, corporations, and individuals in all phases of litigation in state and federal courts across the country.
Justin routinely represents Fortune 100 companies and other businesses in class actions and individual cases involving torts, contract disputes, property disputes, and financial services issues. He understands his clients’ business objectives as he works to achieve positive results through effective and efficient legal strategy.
Justin has served as national litigation counsel in multiple jurisdictions on behalf of a federal savings bank and supports clients’ national compliance efforts with state and federal laws, including recent participation in an on-site Office of the Comptroller of the Currency loan audit. In addition, he has represented employers in actions before the United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and Texas Workforce Commission.
- Representation of company and individual shareholder in connection with disputes arising from sale of company for an amount in excess of $30,000,000.
- Representation of company and senior executives in three-week trial in Southern District of New York involving post-acquisition fraud and breach of contract indemnification claims.
- Representation of major financial institutions in litigation, arbitration, and pre-litigation matters involving alleged RICO, Uniform Commercial Code, and tort and breach of contract violations in connection with depository and trust accounts, wire transfers, and certificates of deposit.
- Representation of international retailer in multiple class actions throughout the country, including defense of state-level deceptive and unfair trade practices claims as well as violations of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.
- Serves as client manager for national mortgage originator and servicer, supervising a wide range of matters across the county.
- Acts as escalation counsel for multiple national lending institutions handling a variety of issues concerning mortgage servicing litigation and other high exposure issues.
- Provides litigation risk assessment and due diligence in connection with mergers, acquisitions, and asset purchases or sales.
- Defend one of the nation’s largest student loan servicers against claims under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act, and False Claims Act.
- Counsel financial institutions in responding to requests by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB).
- Representation of financial institutions, lenders, and other sophisticated clients in numerous federal and state appeals.
- Representation of lending institutions in pre-litigation and lawsuits asserting claims under the Texas Constitution.
- Defense of several large lending institutions in consumer financial services litigation, including large complex cases involving mortgaged-backed securities and debt collection disputes
- Representation of financial institution in bankruptcy adversary action filed by Chapter 11 trustee seeking to void secured liens encumbering over 100 properties in excess of $4 million.
- Representation of international company defending wrongful termination claims before Texas Workforce Commission.
- Representation of company against sexual harassment allegations before the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
University of Houston Law CenterJD
Casenotes and Comments Editor, Houston Journal of International Law2005
Texas A&M UniversityBSPolitical Science
magna cum laude2002
Named to “Texas Rising Stars,” Business Litigation, Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2014, 2015
- Author, Federal Court: Variable Prejudgment Interest Rate Applies to Texas Securities Act Claims, Subject to Inquiry, October 31, 2019
- Author, CFPB Fails to State Case Against Payment Processor, Subject to Inquiry, March 27, 2017
- Author, CFPB’s 2017 Fair Lending Priorities, Subject to Inquiry, January 10, 2017
- Author, Tuesday’s GOP Wins May Put the Brakes on the CFPB’s Controversial Oversight of Auto Lending, Subject to Inquiry, November 14, 2016
- Author, I Can’t Get No (Financial Product) Satisfaction: CFPB Complaint Database Exceeds One Million Complaints, Subject to Inquiry, October 6, 2016
- Author, Payment Processor Challenges CFPB’s Allegation That It Engaged in Unfair Practices, Subject to Inquiry, September 20, 2016
- Author, CFPB Issues Safe Harbors under FDCPA for Mortgage Servicers, Subject to Inquiry, August 31, 2016
- Author, CFPB Issues Final Mortgage Servicing Rules, Subject to Inquiry, August 5, 2016
- Author, CFPB’s Supervisory Highlights Regarding Auto Lending, Subject to Inquiry, July 15, 2016
- Author, CFPB Proposes Rule on Small Dollar Lending, Subject to Inquiry, June 15, 2016
- Author, CFPB Sues Payment Processor for Facilitating Fraudulent Transactions, Subject to Inquiry, June 9, 2016
- Author, CFPB’s Vehicle Title Loan Report Signals Future Proposed Rule, Subject to Inquiry, June 1, 2016
- Author, CFPB Announces Plan to Promulgate Key Mortgage Disclosure Rule, Subject to Inquiry, May 16, 2016
- Author, CFPB’s Proposal Marks Government’s Latest − and Largest − Step Regulating Arbitration Clauses, Subject to Inquiry, May 10, 2016
- Author, Marketplace Lenders May Be Supervised by CFPB in 2017, Subject to Inquiry, May 5, 2016
- Author, Senators Take Steps to Ban Arbitration Clauses in Telecommunications Contracts, Subject to Inquiry, May 5, 2016
- Author, 45 Day Warning: A Brief Overview of the New TRID Disclosure Requirements in Advance of the October 3, 2015 Implementation, Subject to Inquiry, August 19, 2015
- Author, H.B. 2067: A Statutory Method for Unilateral Rescission, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, July 16, 2015
- Author, CFPB Targets Real Estate Developer in Recent Enforcement Action, Subject to Inquiry, June 5, 2015
- Author, Texas Rule of Civil Procedure 91a − Prevalence and Practicality Two Years Later, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 30, 2015
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- Speaker, "Bankruptcy Issues: Post-Bankruptcy Credit Inquiries and Liability Under the FCRA", Current Legal Issues and Trends in Mortgage Origination and Servicing, Mortgage Servicing In-House Counsel Forum, February 4, 2016