Jeffrey is the managing partner of the McGuireWoods New York office. Jeffrey’s practice focuses on financial services litigation, arbitrations, class actions focused on securities laws and corporate governance, and general commercial litigation. He has represented a wide range of financial institutions, public companies and individuals in federal and state courts and in front of various arbitration groups including FINRA, AAA and ICC.
Following law school, Jeffrey was a law clerk to the Honorable Charles P. Sifton of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York.
Financial Services Litigation
- Representation of a large broker-dealer and a commercial bank in multiple state and federal actions brought by purchases of CDs issued by a Caribbean bank.
- Representation of a U.S. correspondent bank in litigation regarding data security and unauthorized use of the SWIFT network.
- Representation of a financial institution in connection with a multi-state and federal regulatory investigation and insurance coverage matters related to substantial employee trading losses.
- Represent a commercial bank in connection with financing dispute and related consumer litigation.
Class Actions and Corporate Governance Litigation
- Represent an energy lender in securities fraud and proxy litigation in the Southern District of New York based on asset impairment.
- Represent the CEO of a medical device company in stock-drop litigation in the Eastern District of New York.
- Represent a telecom company in securities fraud litigation in the Southern District of New York.
- Represent manufacturing company in securities claims to accounting disclosures arbitrations in the Northern District of Illinois.
- Representation of a technology company in connection with federal class action in the Southern District of New York concerning a merger and proxy disclosures.
- Representation of broker-dealers in more than 75 FINRA arbitrations, including many taken through to final hearing and award phases, focusing on liability under federal law, state law and SRO rules.
- Litigation in state and federal court to compel arbitration, enjoin arbitration by non-signatories, and post-award confirmation or vacatur petitions.
- Representation of companies involved in AAA, ICC, and post-closing arbitrations in a variety of venues.
- Representation of an owner of a portfolio of aircraft in connection with a valuation dispute with a former business partner.
- Representation of an electrical supply company in a post-closing valuation dispute.
- Representation of a pharmaceutical company in a product development and manufacturing dispute with the seller.
- Represent an electronic data storage company in connection with a lawsuit with a healthcare data provider.
- Represent M&A financial advisors in connection with engagement letter disputes and secondary liability claims.
New York University School of LawJD
Order of the Coif, Associate Editor, New York University Law Review1998
- Cornell UniversityBS1995
- Speaker, "What to Expect in Customer Arbitrations and Litigation", Mid-2020, What to Expect… A Look Toward the Future, July 29, 2020
- Speaker, "Product Supervision and Hot Topics", Fidelity Broker-Dealer Compliance Roundtable, April 2019
- Panelist, Delaware Corporate Law Update with Former Chief Justice Myron Steele, McGuireWoods Complimentary Presentation, January 14, 2015
- Speaker, SEC Compliance & Enforcement Update – May 2012, May 22, 2012
- Panelist, Federal Litigation & Securities Regulation After Morrison: Current Developments & Transnational Strategies, April 25, 2011
- Hon. Charles P. Sifton, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York, 1998-1999
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 1st Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 2nd Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- Author, Delaware Court of Chancery Raises Bar for Supplemental Disclosures in Mootness Fee Awards, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, October 9, 2023
- Author, Delaware Supreme Court Upholds Tesla’s 2016 Acquisition of SolarCity Under Entire Fairness Test, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, July 3, 2023
- Author, Revlon Liability Resurrected: Undisclosed Conflicts Lead to Sizable Damages, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, March 28, 2023
- Co-author, "Banks And Beneficial Ownership: Striking The Right Balance", Law360, March 22, 2023
- Author, Delaware Court of Chancery Extends Oversight Duties to Corporate Officers, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, February 8, 2023
- Author, FinCEN Alert Highlights Potential U.S. Real Estate Investments by Sanctioned Russian Elites, Consumer FinSights, January 30, 2023
- Author, FinCEN Proposes Rulemaking on Access to Beneficial Owner Information, Consumer FinSights, December 15, 2022
- Author, Delaware Corporate Law Update 2022, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, October 24, 2022
- Author, Federal Reserve Sanctions Former Bank Employees for Paycheck Protection Program Loan Fraud, Consumer FinSights, October 17, 2022
- Author, Bank Regulators Remind Financial Institutions Not to Take a One-Size Fits All Approach to Assessing AML Risks from Customer Relationships, Consumer FinSights, July 8, 2022
- Author, FinCEN Issues Statement on BSA Due Diligence for Independent ATM Owners and Operators, Consumer FinSights, July 6, 2022
- Author, FinCEN Proposes No-Action Letter Process, Consumer FinSights, June 8, 2022
- Author, Is the Future of the Dollar Digital? The Fed Talks Updating Greenbacks to the Blockchain, Consumer FinSights, May 26, 2022
- Co-author, "The Enforcement Scope of New York’s New Financial Services Department", Insurance Daily, July 11, 2011