Don focuses his practice on corporate finance, particularly senior debt finance in the healthcare and energy sectors. He is a co-chair of the firm’s Financial Institutions Industry Team, chair of the firm’s Finance Committee, and served on the firm’s Board of Partners from 2012-2018.
Don’s experience includes syndicated, secured and unsecured senior debt, acquisition financing, real estate financing and complex intercreditor issues. His lending clients include both regulated banks and alternative non-bank lenders. While Don’s background includes a broad range of commercial financing transactions, he has particular expertise advising agents, lenders and borrowers on structuring, negotiating and documenting senior debt facilities for healthcare, energy and early stage technology companies, and the collateral and operational challenges specific to those sectors.
Don also represents refining and midstream companies in the energy sector in a variety of different financing, operational and strategic matters.
Don served as law clerk to District Court Judge F.A. Little of the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Louisiana from 1998 to 1999.
- Represented publicly traded gas company in $1.850 billion revolving loan credit facility and $850 million unsecured term loan credit facility.
- Represented Agent in $100 million fully secured working capital facility for petroleum logistics company.
- Represented sponsor backed fuel wholesale company in leveraged acquisition financing.
- Represented publicly traded petroleum and refined product logistics company in $800 million fully secured acquisition and working capital facility.
- Represented refiner in long-term crude supply and off take agreement.
- Represented purchaser in acquisition of bio-mass processing company.
- Represented refiner in negotiation of buy/sells, storage and netting agreements.
- Represented petroleum marketing and logistics company in long-term strategic arrangements and joint ventures.
- Represented Agent in multiple financings for private equity sponsor acquisitions of practice management companies in the dental, physical therapy and pain management spaces, along with other MSO/PC structure models.
- Represented Agent in multiple financings for private equity sponsor acquisitions of medical device, pharma, healthcare lite and other healthcare sector companies.
- Represented Agent in multiple financings for addiction treatment and therapy facility chains.
- Represented Agent in ABL financings for numerous large nursing home and SNF chains, including facilities with HUD Section 232 financing.
Middle Market Commercial Lending
- Represented Agent in $105 million secured acquisition financing for construction materials company.
- Represented Agent in $350 million unsecured revolving credit facility for financial services firm.
- Represented Agent in $200 million secured financing for consumer aluminum container manufacturing company.
- Represented Agent in $175 million secured working capital financing for international catalog company.
- Represented sponsor portfolio company in $300 million restructuring of secured revolving and term loan credit facilities.
- Represented Agent in $82 million structured revolving and term loan credit facilities for media and advertising companies.
- Represented Agent and first out lender in $50 million acquisition financing for farm products producer
- Represent Agent in numerous middle market senior secured acquisition financing for private equity sponsored acquisitions, unitranche and first-out financings.
Chicago-Kent College of Law, Illinois Institute of TechnologyJD
Order of the Coif, Executive Articles Editor, Chicago-Kent Law Review1998
- University of MichiganBAEnglish Literature1994
Member, Chicago Bar Association
Member, American Bar Association
Member, American Health Lawyers Association
- Moderator, "Alternative Lending Approaches", 16th Annual Healthcare and Life Sciences Private Equity and Finance Conference, February 20-21, 2019
- Moderator, "Tech Lending Workouts – Challenges and Successes", Tech and Early-Stage Lending Conference, Chicago, IL, February 8, 2018
- Moderator, "Balancing Company and Management Strategy vs. Appealing to Investors", 12th Annual Healthcare and Life Sciences Private Equity and Finance Conference, February 18, 2015
- Panelist, Delaware Corporate Law Update with Former Chief Justice Myron Steele, McGuireWoods Complimentary Presentation, January 14, 2015
- Hon. F. A. Little, U.S. District Court for the Western District of Louisiana, 1998-1999
Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, Banking and Finance Law, Woodward/White, Inc., 2023, 2024
Selected for inclusion in America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Named “Up and Coming,” 2016; Banking and Finance, 2023, Illinois, Chambers USA
Named a “Recognized Practitioner” in America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Banking and Finance, Illinois, Chambers USA, 2015
Named to “Illinois Rising Stars,” Banking, Securities & Corporate Finance, Business/Corporate, Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2008-2012
- Author, Q1 2022 Update on LIBOR Transition Developments, LIBOR Transition Blog, March 31, 2022
- Author, Headlines for Alternative Lenders on LIBOR Replacement, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, March 4, 2022
- Author, Banks Press Ahead with Term SOFR Preparation; Credit Sensitive Rates Under Scrutiny, LIBOR Transition Blog, October 12, 2021
- Author, Federal LIBOR “Tough Legacy” Fix Gains Traction, LIBOR Transition Blog, August 11, 2021
- Author, Mid-Year Check In on LIBOR Transition Developments, LIBOR Transition Blog, June 28, 2021
- Author, LSTA Publishes Daily SOFR and RFR Concept Credit Agreements, LIBOR Transition Blog, May 17, 2021
- Author, LIBOR Legislation Bill Passed by New York State Legislature, LIBOR Transition Blog, April 15, 2021
- Author, LMA Publishes Note on the Use of Forward-Looking Term SONIA Reference Rates, LIBOR Transition Blog, March 29, 2021
- Author, ARRC Releases Supplemental Versions of its Recommended Hardwired Fallback Language, LIBOR Transition Blog, March 29, 2021
- Author, Ready for the End of LIBOR? Federal Reserve Issues Guidance, LIBOR Transition Blog, March 17, 2021
- Author, ICE Benchmark Administration Proposes Extending U.S. Dollar LIBOR Tenors Through June 2023, LIBOR Transition Blog, November 30, 2020
- Author, Signals or Noise in November for LIBOR Transition?, LIBOR Transitions Blog, November 25, 2020
- Author, U.S. Regulators: Need to Move on From LIBOR, But Not Necessarily to SOFR, LIBOR Transitions Blog, November 18, 2020
- Author, First Adoption of ARRC Hardwired Fallback Language in a Syndicated Institutional Loan, LIBOR Transition Blog, September 28, 2020
- Author, Loan Syndications and Trading Association Published Concept SOFR Credit Agreement, LIBOR Transition Blog, September 23, 2020
- Author, ARRC Updates Recommended Best Practices in Anticipation of ISDA’s IBOR Fallback Protocol, LIBOR Transition Blog, August 24, 2020
- Author, LIBOR Transition: Business Loans SOFR Summer Wrap Up, LIBOR Transition Blog, August 21, 2020
- Author, ARRC Updates Recommended Fallback Language for New USD LIBOR-Linked Syndicated Loans, LIBOR Transition Blog, July 9, 2020
- Author, CFPB Issues Proposals and Updated Guidance Ahead of LIBOR Discontinuation, LIBOR Transition Blog, June 8, 2020
- Author, Enforcing a Security Interest in Domain Names, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, February 7, 2018