Mark is chair of the firm’s restructuring & insolvency group and has been advising clients about creative, business-oriented solutions to matters involving financial distress for the past 25 years. Mark is a goal driven problem solver whose clients benefit from the creative, pragmatic and strategic perspective that he brings to each engagement.
Mark has represented a broad spectrum of client interests including:
- counseling companies in various states of financial distress inside (including bankruptcy, state and federal receiverships and assignments for the benefit of creditors) and outside of court proceedings;
- counseling acquirers of distressed assets and businesses inside and outside of court proceedings;
- counseling fiduciaries, including trustees, receivers, chief restructuring officers, assignees and boards of directors;
- counseling secured and unsecured holder of funded debt at various layers in a borrower’s capital structure;
- counseling major suppliers and customers;
- counseling official committees of unsecured creditors; and
- counseling holders of ownership interests.
During his career, Mark’s engagements have involved a substantial number of different business sectors. He has led recent restructuring engagements in the following business sectors – automotive; metals, plastics, tool & die and other manufacturing; coal mining; oil & gas; healthcare; restaurant franchises; transportation and logistics.
- Representation of an original equipment manufacturer in the Takata bankruptcy cases (U.S. BK DE).
- Representation of a state court receiver for the largest utility recycling company in the U.S. (Washington).
- Representation of an acquirer of a paper mill operator out of a state court receivership (Wisconsin).
- Representation of the liquidating trustee to Intermet Corporation and its affiliated debtors (US BK DE).
- Representation of the official committee of unsecured creditors of Max & Erma’s, Inc. restaurant chain (US BK WDPA).
- Representation of the acquirer of substantially all assets out of the Schutt Sports, Inc. bankruptcy (US BK DE).
- Representation of Weirton Steel Corporation as debtor in possession (US BK NDWV).
- Representation of emergence lender from Appvion, Inc. bankruptcy (US BK DE).
- Capital University Law SchoolJD1993
- Miami UniversityBS1990
Member, Bankruptcy Division, Allegheny County Bar Association
Member, Pennsylvania Bar Association
Member, American Bankruptcy Institute
- Guest, "How Sponsors Can Avoid Liability with Mark Freedlander", The Professor’s Corner, November 21, 2022
- Guest, "The Liability Implications of Financial Challenges in Portfolio Companies with Mark Freedlander", The Professor’s Corner, October 28, 2022
- Co-moderator, "Healthcare and Bankruptcy: Don’t Fear the Reaper", 15th Annual Healthcare Finance and Growth Conference, September 15, 2022
- Moderator, Adapting, Preparing and Succeeding in Virtual Litigation in a COVID-19 World, December 17, 2020
- Speaker, "Dealing with Distressed Healthcare Transactions - Part II", Across the Table, A Healthcare Private Equity Podcast, Podcast Series, June 14, 2020
- Speaker, "Dealing with Distressed Healthcare Transactions and Acquisitions", Across the Table, A Healthcare Private Equity Podcast, March 23, 2020
- Speaker, Challenges, Risks and New Developments in the Distressed Oil & Gas Industry, McGuireWoods LLP Webinar and Live Presentation, March 30, 2016
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 3rd Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, Bankruptcy and Creditor-Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law, 2006-2024; Litigation – Bankruptcy, 2019-2024, Woodward/White, Inc.
Selected for inclusion in America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Bankruptcy/Restructuring, Pennsylvania, Chambers USA, 2015-2023
Selected for inclusion in The Lawdragon 500 Leading U.S. Bankruptcy & Restructuring Lawyers, 2020, 2022
Named to Pennsylvania “Super Lawyers,” Bankruptcy & Creditor/Debtor Rights, Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2006-2007, 2009-2019
Named to “Outstanding Bankruptcy Lawyers Under the Age of 40,” Turnaround & Workouts, 2004
- Author, SVB Receivership and Related Disruption: an Evolving Situation, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, March 13, 2023
- Author, Fifth Circuit: Make-Whole Premiums Should Be Disallowed in Bankruptcy, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, November 14, 2022
- Author, Texas Bankruptcy Ruling Reinforces Dedication Clauses in Gas-Gathering Agreements, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, January 10, 2020
- Co-author, "Surviving Economic Headwinds", Journal of Corporate Renewal, April 2013