Abdul is a member of the Private Investment Funds Group and advises emerging managers and investors in forming, investing in and operating domestic and cross-border private investment funds.
Abdul’s practice focuses on representing sponsors of private investment funds across a range of investment strategies and industries, usually forming their first, second or third funds. Abdul advises such emerging managers on the development, formation, marketing and operation of their funds, as well as internal sponsor economic and governance arrangements. He is also experienced in representing institutional investors in a range of secondary transactions, primary fund investments and co-investments, as well as independent sponsors in the formation of investment vehicles used in acquisitions.
As part of his practice, Abdul provides strategic counsel in the areas of ESG and impact investing, drawing from his experience in forming and operationalizing several impact-focused private investment funds globally.
Prior to joining McGuireWoods, Abdul spent over a decade in dual fund formation and investment roles across several investment management platforms, including DWS Group (formerly Deutsche Asset Management) and the United Nations Capital Development Fund. He began his career in private practice at a leading full-service law firm and brings this comprehensive perspective to serve the firm’s clients and partners.
“My career in investment fund formation and management on both the legal and business side has given me unique experiences that can guide clients, especially emerging managers and independent sponsors, as they as they seek to operationalize and scale compelling strategies. Such strategies may also include those incorporating ESG and / or impact investing themes, which continue to grow as a key decision factor for capital allocators seeking long-term value.”
- Represented sponsor in the formation of a multi-strategy credit platform including funds focused on both public and private credit instruments.
- Represented joint sponsor in the formation of private equity fund focused on co-investments alongside independent sponsors across various industries.
- Represented sponsor in the formation of private real estate fund focused on hotel conversions to workforce housing.
- Represented institutional investor in portfolio sale of secondary private investment fund and private equity interests to insurance conglomerate.
- Represented institutional investor in several sustainable infrastructure co-investment transactions across multiple jurisdictions.
- Represented institutional investor in primary fund investment and co-investment transactions across buyout, venture and real estate strategies.
- Represented multilateral development finance institution as joint sponsor in the formation of offshore growth equity and private credit funds focused on emerging markets.
- Represented sponsor in formation of a venture capital fund focused on post Series-A investments in medical technology and healthcare analytics enterprises.
- Represented global alternative asset management platform as sponsor and noteholder in the formation of securitization structures focused on providing private credit solutions in emerging markets.
- Represented sponsor in formation of inaugural real estate private equity fund leveraging its previous track record as independent sponsor.
Howard University School of LawJD
University of MichiganBA
with Honors (Residential College)
Member, Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Incorporated
- Co-author, "The compelling argument for emerging managers", PE Hub, June 12, 2023
- Co-author, "Addressing the ‘Missing Middle’ Challenge in Least Developed Countries", Blended Finance in the Least Developed Countries 2020, December 2020
- Author, "The UN Capital Development Fund Offers Support for SMEs in the Poorest Countries", Portfolio Adviser Magazine, November 1, 2020
- Co-author, "A Paradigm for Financing SMEs in the ‘Last Mile’", Capital Finance International, Summer 2019
- New York
- Speaker, Emerging Manager Conference, Dallas, TX, April 16-17, 2024
- Moderator, "Finding Capital in a Challenging Market", 2023 Independent Sponsor Conference, October 4, 2023
- Moderator, "How to Develop and Implement an Emerging Manager Program", Emerging Manager Conference, Dallas, TX, May 17, 2023
- Speaker, "Tax Considerations Related to Mission or Program-Related Investments", 19th Annual Nonprofit Seminar, Charlotte, NC, September – October 2022
- Speaker, Independent Sponsors of New York Networking Lunch, New York, NY, September 6, 2022
- Presenter, "Financing the Sustainable Development Goals: Embracing a Paradigm Shift and New Financing Modalities", Canadian Association of International Development Professionals (CAIDP), October 7, 2019
- Presenter, "Private Fund Opportunities: Opportunity Zone Funds, Sustainability & Impact Investment", Investment Management Conference, October 30, 2018