Anthony has a broad array of experiences assisting with compliance issues, regulatory and enforcement matters, internal investigations, and individual and class litigation. His diverse practice helps him achieve the most efficient and practical results for his clients spanning the financial services, technology, automobile, and retail sectors.
Anthony has advised and represented regional and national banks, financial institutions, and fintech and technology companies on various legal issues, and involving state and federal consumer law claims related to privacy, lending, licensing, credit reporting, debt collection, telecommunications, unfair business practices, foreclosure, and commercial disputes. As a contributor to various firm blogs, Anthony regularly provides news, insights, and analysis of data privacy and security, financial technology, consumer financial services, and class action developments occurring throughout the country.
Anthony has assisted clients with internal investigations and enforcement actions by state attorney generals and the CFPB. He has experience litigating in state and federal courts across numerous jurisdictions in individual and class actions throughout all stages of litigation, including settlement, pleadings, discovery, mediation, dispositive motions, class certification, and trial.
Anthony graduated magna cum laude with a business concentration from the University of Minnesota School of Law. During law school, Anthony worked as a research assistant to a nationally recognized corporate law professor, externed with the Honorable Jeffrey S. White in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California, and argued in the ABA National Moot Court competition on behalf of his law school.
Prior to joining McGuireWoods, Anthony clerked for former Chief Judge Kathleen H. Sanberg of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Minnesota.
Individual and Class Litigation
- Represented financial institution in, and defeated class certification of, a RFDCPA class action involving transaction fees on automobile loan payments.
- Represented numerous financial institutions in various state and federal debt collection class actions involving transaction fees on loan payments.
- Represented mortgage servicing financial institution in various state and federal debt collection and consumer protection class action involving alleged misleading mortgage default letters.
- Represented national bank in class action involving numerous aiding and abetting and consumer protection law claims related to a fraudulent third-party scheme for the sale of goods.
- Represented large regional bank in class action involving aiding and abetting claims related to a third-party real estate investment Ponzi scheme.
- Represented national bank in consumer protection and trespass class action involving property preservation services on real property.
- Represented national retailer of hardwood flooring in nationwide, consumer protection class action involving alleged omissions of product characteristics.
- Prevailed on summary judgment in an individual action under breach of contract and conversion claims on behalf of an automobile finance company.
- Prevailed on motion to dismiss in numerous individual actions related to wrongful foreclosure and deceptive business practice claims on behalf of a national bank client.
- Represented, and negotiated dozens of favorable settlements, for financial institutions, fintech companies, and automobile finance entities in individual matters involving consumer financial protection, credit reporting, debt collection, telecommunications, automobile financing, lemon law, and state common laws.
Compliance, Investigations, and Enforcement
- Advised various technology, financial services, and retail clients with policies and procedures and compliance issues related to privacy, lending, debt collection, credit reporting, automobile finance, and telecommunications, including but not limited to, the CCPA, CPRA, FCRA, FDCPA, TCPA, ASFA, and UDAAP.
- Advised fintech client with state licensing compliance with lending and money transmission.
- Assisted with internal investigation of national bank related to Bank Secrecy Act and Anti-Money Laundering laws.
- Conducted internal investigation of national bank related to aiding and abetting claims involving a fraudulent third-party scheme for the sale of goods.
- Represented financial services client in connection with CFPB examination and investigation for alleged UDAAP violations.
- Represented fintech client in connection with a State Attorney General investigation of lending and servicing practices for alleged UDAAP violations.
University of Minnesota Law SchoolJD
magna cum laude2014
- University of California, IrvineBACriminology, Law & Society2010
Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch, Banking and Finance Law, Financial Services Regulation Law, 2024
Medal of Excellence, American Bankruptcy Institute (ABI), 2014
- Speaker, An Overview of California Data Privacy Laws, San Francisco Bank Attorneys Association, February 7, 2022
- Speaker, California Data Privacy Legal Update: Compliance Requirements Under the CCPA, CPRA, Attorney General Regulations and CPPA, McGuireWoods CLE, January 20, 2022
- Speaker, "Where Marketers and Attorneys Learn to Speak the Same Language ", Frenemies Video Series, October 2020 - April 2021
- Speaker, "Biometrics Data Privacy: Summary on Compliance, Legislation and Recent Litigation Issues Facing Retailers", ACC Charlotte Retail Affinity Group CLE, March 16, 2021
- Speaker, Naughty or Nice? An Overview of the CPRA, December 15, 2020
- Co-host, "The One Where We are All Still Confused About California: What is in the Regulations Anyway? ", Frenemies Video Series, November 28, 2020
- Hon. Kathleen H. Sanberg, U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Minnesota, 2014-2015
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California
- Author, New Complaint – Damian, as Receiver of Today’s Growth Consultant, Inc. v. Core Financial Outsourcing of Chicago, LLC, Ponzi Perspectives, September 13, 2022
- Author, New Complaint – Damian, as Receiver of Today’s Growth Consultant, Inc. v. SmithAmundsen, LLC, Ponzi Perspectives, July 7, 2022
- Author, Illinois Federal Court Carves Up Plaintiffs’ Ponzi Scheme Claims For Lack of Actual Knowledge or Bad Faith, Ponzi Perspectives, January 27, 2022
- Author, Starting at the Beginning: California Privacy Protection Agency Board Meets for the First Time, Password Protected, June 15, 2021
- Author, New Complaint – IMG Memorial Fund 1, LLC v. First Landing Fund, LLC, et al., Ponzi Perspectives, June 1, 2021
- Author, Colleges Should Brace for Next Phase of COVID-19 Class Actions, Class Action Countermeasures, April 8, 2021
- Author, U.S. Biometrics Laws Part II: What to Expect in 2021, Password Protected, February 8, 2021
- Author, U.S. Biometrics Laws Part I: An Overview of 2020, Password Protected, February 1, 2021
- Quoted, NY, FTC Lead Charge To Expand Biometric Privacy Shields, Law360, January 15, 2021
- Author, Fee-Free Model Requirement in CFPB’s Wage Access Advisory Opinion Raises More Questions, Consumer FinSights, December 10, 2020
- Author, CFPB Unveils In First Advisory Opinion That TILA Does Not Apply to Certain Earned Wage Access Products, Consumer FinSights, December 7, 2020
- Author, CFPB Finalizes Advisory Opinion Program Offering Answers to Statutory or Regulatory Questions, Consumer FinSights, December 4, 2020
- Author, FTC “Zooms” Into Settlement Agreement with Communications Company Over Concerns with its Security Practices, Password Protected, December 2, 2020
- Author, Does Continued Collection of the Same Biometric Information Increase Privacy Violations?, Password Protected, October 16, 2020
- Author, As Biometrics Technology Permeates Everyday Life, What Laws Should Companies Keep in Mind?, Password Protected, July 14, 2020
- Author, Coronavirus Class Actions Part 3 — Banking, Privacy, Higher Education and Securities Law, Class Action Countermeasures, April 20, 2020
- Author, Update: Coronavirus Cyberscams and Other Attacks – Scammers Are Still at It, Password Protected, April 9, 2020
- Author, California Attorney General: CCPA Enforcement on Schedule Despite COVID-19, Password Protected, March 30, 2020
- Author, Coronavirus Cyber Scams: Outbreak Map Used to Spread Malware and Cyberattack on HHS, Password Protected, March 24, 2020
- Author, Square Obtains FDIC Charter to Operate Its Own Bank as an Industrial Loan Company, Consumer FinSights, March 20, 2020
- Author, Circuit Split on Article III Standing After Spokeo Leaves Defendants in a Quandary, Class Action Countermeasures, February 28, 2020
- Author, CCPA May Prohibit Some, But Not All, State Consumer Protection Law Claims, Password Protected, December 10, 2019
- Author, California Attorney General’s Public Hearings on CCPA Regulations in Los Angeles and San Francisco—An Overview, Password Protected, December 6, 2019
- Author, 11th Circuit Ruling Calls Text Message TCPA Class Actions Into Question, Class Action Countermeasures, August 30, 2019
- Author, 9th Circuit Saves Nationwide Settlement Classes, Class Action Countermeasures, June 7, 2019
- Author, California Passes Small Business Truth-in-Lending Law, Consumer FinSights, October 24, 2018
- Co-author, "Consumer Financial Protection Bureau Considers the Risks and Promise of Alternative Data in the Credit Context", ABA Business Law Section, Consumer Financial Services Committee Newsletter, June 2017