Hunter practices with the firm’s private wealth services group and assists high net worth individuals and their families in a variety of tax, estate planning, and trust and estate administration matters.
Prior to joining McGuireWoods LLP, Hunter worked with a boutique trusts and estates firm in Richmond, Virginia, where she gained experience drafting estate and gift planning instruments and counseling clients on the administration of complex trusts and estates. Hunter utilizes that experience to help clients accomplish their own planning and giving objectives in a tax efficient and effective manner. She also advises clients in related areas, including the negotiation of premarital agreements and business succession planning.
Hunter holds a B.A. in Sociology and a B.A. in Religion from Furman University. From there, Hunter went on to earn her J.D. from the University of Richmond School of Law. While in law school, she served as a legal intern for the Honorable Joseph F. Anderson, Jr. of the United States District Court for the District of South Carolina. She also received the University of Richmond’s National Association of Women Lawyer’s Award at graduation.
Selected for inclusion, “Ones to Watch,” Trusts and Estates, Best Lawyers, 2024
Named to “Virginia Rising Stars,” Estate Planning & Probate, Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2023
- Author, Recent Cases of Interest to Fiduciaries: May 2023, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, May 9, 2023
- Author, Timing Is Critical for Gift of Appreciated Stock to Avoid Capital Gain From Sale of Company, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, March 20, 2023
- Co-author, "Virginia Supreme Court: Arbitration Clauses in Trusts Are Not Enforceable Against Beneficiaries", Trusts and Estates Section Newsletter, Virginia State Bar, Summer 2022
- Author, Recent Cases of Interest to Fiduciaries: July 2022, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, July 19, 2022
- Author, Virginia Supreme Court: Arbitration Clauses in Trusts Are Not Enforceable Against Beneficiaries, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, May 12, 2022
- Co-author, Wills, Trusts, & Estates, 57 University of Richmond Law Review 125, 2022
University of Richmond School of LawJD
magna cum laude, Order of the Coif, Manuscripts Editor, University of Richmond Law Review2017
Member, Virginia State Bar
Member, Virginia Bar Association
- Speaker, "Outright Gift Versus Charitable Vehicle: Donor Advised Funds, Private Foundation, Public Charity – The Pros and Cons", Annual Wealth Planning Update for Fiduciaries and Advisers, October 25, 2023
- Speaker, "Nonprofit Current Developments", 20th Annual Nonprofit Seminar, September 2023
- Co-speaker, "Recent Developments in Trusts & Estates: Lessons Learned from Recent Judicial Decisions in Virginia", Charlottesville-Albemarle Bar Association CLE, September 20, 2023
- Co-speaker, "Charitable Planning: Opportunities and Pitfalls for the Charitable Legacy", Charlottesville-Albemarle Bar Association CLE, September 20, 2023
- Co-Presenter (with Meghan G. Hubbard), "Recent Developments in Fiduciary Litigation", 68th Annual William & Mary Tax Conference, Williamsburg, VA, November 9-11, 2022
- Speaker, "Current Developments", 19th Annual Nonprofit Seminar, Charlottesville, September – October 2022
- Co-Presenter (with Stephen W. Murphy), "Opportunities and Pitfalls for Estate Planning by Spouses", Charlottesville-Albemarle Bar Association CLE, September 28, 2022