Callum advises on a broad range of commercial real estate transactions involving a variety of property types including retirement living and care homes, student accommodation, industrial estates and warehouses, hotels, office premises and logistics.
He advises on single asset and portfolio acquisitions and disposals, property financings, developments, landlord and tenant work as well as assisting clients with general matters of property law. He also has extensive experience in the real estate aspects of corporate investments and banking transactions.
Callum has significant recent experience advising leading developers and providers of senior care/retirement living and student accommodation. This has involved dealing with complex joint venture arrangements and cross-border property investment structures.
He also offers clients additional support and property law advice in connection with a variety of commercial matters including assistance with heads of terms, title indemnity insurance policies, rights of light releases, dilapidation settlements and most recently, property enquiries in connection with the COVID-19 pandemic.
He has advised a variety of clients including real estate investment trusts, domestic and overseas investors, landlords, tenants and developers.
Callum is co-chair of McGuireWoods London’s pro bono programme.
I consider myself to be a good communicator with a strong work ethic – I continuously push myself to develop my skill set and I pride myself on my down-to-earth and approachable manner.
- Representing Carpenter Co., a global, diversified and world class chemical company, in its €454 million acquisition of the engineered foam business line of Recticel SA/NV (ENXTBR: REC), a Belgium-based manufacturer of polyurethane foam.
- Advising Energizer Holdings Inc, one of the world’s largest manufacturers of batteries, on the grant of a new 15-year lease of 103,000 square feet industrial unit at Tafarnaubach Industrial Estate, Tredegar.
- Advising Thrive Parent Holdings, LLC, a cybersecurity and digital transformation managed services provider, on the real estate aspects of a share acquisition of UK company, Custard Technical Services Limited.
- Co-ordinating a multi-practice team of lawyers representing a leading provider of retirement living services in its acquisition and financing of a new senior living facility in the UK.
- Advising a multinational pharmaceutical company on its UK property portfolio, including acquisitions, disposals and landlord and tenant matters.
- Providing wide-ranging advice to a US multi-industry company on property matters in connection with its UK real estate portfolio.
- Representing a joint venture partner in connection with conditional share purchases of property holding companies and asset purchases in connection with care home development projects.
- Advising on the share acquisition of an operating student accommodation provider for in excess of £135 million.
- Advising a digital solutions company in the connection with the leasehold acquisition of national headquarters and the subsequent refurbishment and remodelling of the building.
- Providing real estate advice to a special opportunities investment firm lending acquisition finance to the buyer of a mixed-use tower comprising of office premises, a multi-storey car park and social housing.
- Advising high net worth individuals on the off-plan purchase of residential apartments in a Thames-side development for circa £9 million.
- Co-ordinating the real estate aspects of the financing of a new shopping centre for the aggregate amount of £180 million.
- Advising a European investment fund on the acquisition of prime London real estate for the purposes of mixed use re-development.
- Providing English law real estate advice to a consortium led by a multinational banking firm and a premier hospitality investment and management company in the acquisition, acquisition financing, and debt restructuring of a European hotel portfolio.
- Providing real estate advice to a large international residential real estate developer in connection with its debut European investment relating to a consortium behind a £750 million East London re-development.
- Providing real estate advice in connection with the sale of shares in a Jersey company holding prime London office premises for in excess of £275 million. Prior to the sale, advising on the management of the asset including the surrender of an intermediate lease and relocating an existing tenant to a different floor in the building.
- Advising a subsidiary of a pension and investment fund on the sale of a 15 storey grade A office building in Manchester, reflecting a net initial yield of 5.05 per cent – a record yield for office premises in the regional market.
- Advising a FTSE 250 REIT on the acquisition of a newly developed 20,000 square foot retail park in Warrington.
- Advising a specialist fund in connection with the sale of all land interests at a business park which included 6 multi-let investment office assets and circa 40 acres of undeveloped land, subject to complex options to build out certain parcels with co-operation of the buyer, together with the exiting and hand-over of control of the park management company.
- Providing real estate advice to a UK and European property investment company on the sale of a multi-let property portfolio, in two transactions, for a total of £146 million.
- Advising a data management and software company on the grant of a new lease of office premises in the City of London.
- Providing real estate advice to a property fund on the refinancing of an existing facility agreement in the aggregate amount of £350 million and the extension of fund life maturity.
- Acting on the acquisition of a long leasehold interest in a 25 acre industrial estate from LPA Receivers and further to the acquisition, drafting and negotiating new lettings of individual units on the estate.
- Recognising the implications of and co-ordinating responses in connection with tax, construction, planning and environmental matters on real estate and corporate real estate transactions.
BPP University College Law SchoolLPC
- The London School of Economics and Political ScienceLLB2009
Member, The Midtown Business Club
Member, Investment Property Forum (IPF) Future Leaders Group
Member, Urban Land Institute (ULI) Young Leaders Group
- Author, What UK Commercial Tenants Need to Know About Changes to Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 12, 2023
- Author, Register of Overseas Entities – How to Ensure Overseas Entities Can Buy or Sell UK Real Estate, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, August 16, 2022
- Author, UK Real Estate Transactions With Overseas Entities, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, August 11, 2022
- Co-author, "What Lies Ahead? Real Estate Finance," Meet McGuireWoods London, June 2, 2021
- Co-author, "What Lies Ahead? Commercial Real Estate," Meet McGuireWoods London, May 5, 2021
- Author, Further Relaxations to UK Land Registration Deed Execution Formalities in Light of COVID-19, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, July 30, 2020
- Author, UK Commercial Property Code Promotes Collaborative Landlord-Tenant Relationships During COVID-19, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, June 22, 2020
- Author, A Good Deed: UK Land Registration Deed Execution Formalities Reconsidered in Light of COVID-19, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, May 4, 2020
- Author, COVID-19: UK Introduces Non-payment Protections for Commercial Tenants, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, March 25, 2020
- Author, Date Stamp 1 March 2019: Deadline Reduced for UK Stamp Duty Payment and Filing, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, February 28, 2019
- Author, Give Me a Break! Pitfalls to Avoid When Drafting and Exercising Break Rights, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, October 10, 2016
- Solicitor England and Wales
- Named a “Recommended Lawyer,” Commercial Property: Corporate Occupiers: Leading Firm, The Legal 500 UK, 2024
- Named a “Recommended Lawyer,” Commercial Property: Corporate Occupiers: Firm to Watch, The Legal 500 UK, 2022 and 2023