Barlow focuses his practice on representing public and private companies in securities transactions and other general corporate matters. He advises companies in connection with a broad range of securities matters, representing both issuers and underwriters in initial public offerings, secondary offerings of debt, equity, derivative and hybrid securities.
He also advises public companies in connection with their periodic and annual reporting, proxy statements, board and audit committee matters, Regulation FD and insider trading matters. He has also represented financial institutions and other public company issuers in connection with liability management transactions, including tender offers, consent solicitations, redemptions, repurchases and exchanges.
Prior to joining McGuireWoods, Barlow worked for a large international law firm representing a wide range of publicly and privately held financial, commercial and industrial enterprises.
- New York
- North Carolina
- Speaker, "Internal Controls Over Financial Reporting and Material Weaknesses", SEC Compliance and Disclosure Update, McGuireWoods LLP SEC Practice Complimentary Webinar Series, March 19, 2019
- Speaker, "You’re Fired! U.S. Securities Law and Related Considerations for Companies Terminating Executive Officers", SEC Compliance and Disclosure Update, McGuireWoods LLP SEC Practice Complimentary Webinar Series, September 25, 2018
University of Virginia School of LawJD
Executive Editor, Virginia Journal of International Law2012
Sewanee: The University of the SouthBAEnglish
summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa2007
The rules of professional conduct in some jurisdictions require disclosure of selection methodology for certain public accolades and recognitions. Click here to view available selection methodologies.
Selected for inclusion in “Legal 500 United States,” Capital markets – debt offerings, 2023
Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch, Corporate Law, 2021, 2022
- Author, SEC Adopts Requirement for Universal Proxy Cards in Contested Director Elections, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, December 7, 2021
- Author, Federal LIBOR “Tough Legacy” Fix Gains Traction, LIBOR Transition Blog, August 11, 2021
- Author, Mid-Year Check In on LIBOR Transition Developments, LIBOR Transition Blog, June 28, 2021
- Author, LIBOR Legislation Bill Passed by New York State Legislature, LIBOR Transition Blog, April 15, 2021
- Author, ICE Benchmark Administration Proposes Extending U.S. Dollar LIBOR Tenors Through June 2023, LIBOR Transition Blog, November 30, 2020
- Author, LIBOR Transition: Business Loans SOFR Summer Wrap Up, LIBOR Transition Blog, August 21, 2020