Bruce is the former chair of the firm’s labor and employment practice. He represents employers and management in labor and employment matters and his practice is divided into three primary areas.
First, he has extensive experience litigating collective and class action claims throughout the United States arising under federal and state wage and hour and wage payment statutes, including the federal Fair Labor Standards Act. This work includes serving as national wage and hour class and collective action counsel for a large financial institution. Second, on behalf of employers and management, Bruce litigates claims and counsels clients pursuant to Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Civil Rights Act of 1866, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, Executive Order 11246 governing the employment practices of federal contractors, the National Labor Relations Act, and the Labor Management Relations Act. Third, on behalf of ERISA pension and welfare plans and plan sponsors, Bruce also has extensive experience litigating pension, disability and severance claims in federal courts in many parts of the country.
While earning his law degree from the University of Virginia, Bruce was articles development editor of the Virginia Law Review, and was honored as a member of the Order of the Coif and the Raven Society. After graduating from law school, he clerked for the Honorable J. Harvie Wilkinson III of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit.
Bruce is an adjunct professor at the University of Virginia School of Law, where he teaches an employment law seminar, and is a frequent lecturer on employment law issues
Wage & Hour Class Action / Collective Action Experience
- Class actions asserting misclassification and off-the-clock overtime and minimum wage violations, meal and rest periods violations, and related claims.
- Class actions challenging the terms and administration of bonus compensation plans.
- Hybrid nationwide FLSA collective actions and state law class actions asserting misclassification and off-the-clock overtime and minimum wage violations and related claims.
Employment Litigation and Related Matters, including OFCCP Litigation
- Defense of employee claims asserting wrongful termination, breach of contract, and unlawful harassment, discrimination and retaliation under myriad federal and state laws.
- Litigation of misappropriation of trade secrets, unfair competition, and breach of non-compete and non-solicitation agreement claims, including applications for provisional injunctive relief.
- Drafting and advice on employment-related policies, employee handbooks, and employment contracts.
- Advice and counsel regarding employee discipline issues and reductions in force.
- Training of supervisors and employees on prevention of unlawful employment practices, including sexual harassment, discrimination, and retaliation.
- Defend federal contractors against administrative complaints filed by the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs pursuant to Executive Order 11246, including pattern and practice claims of alleged discriminatory hiring, and constitutional issues regarding the OFCCP’s ability to access contractor facilities for compliance review.
- Defense of ERISA welfare and pension benefit plans in single and multi-plaintiff benefit disputes.
- Defending claims for pension benefits, long term disability, short term disability, health benefit and severance claims.
- Litigating throughout the United States, including in North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Arkansas, Connecticut, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Oregon, Washington and Texas.
- University of VirginiaMAEconomics1989
University of Virginia School of LawJD
Order of the Coif, Member and Articles Development Editor, Virginia Law Review1988
Michigan State UniversityBA
Member, 2003-present; President, 2006-2008. Board of Directors, Children and Family Services Center, Inc.
Member, 2009-present; President, 2012-present, Board of Directors, Council for Children’s Rights, Inc.
President, 2005-2007; Member, 2001-2007, Board of Directors, Youth Homes, Inc.
Member and Board of Directors, Charlotte Latin School Booster Club. 2008-2011
Faculty Member, Mandatory Professionalism Course for New Admittees, Virginia State Bar, 1999-2001
Member; Chair, Committee on Law & Citizenship Studies, 1991-1997; Executive Committee, 1992-1997, Young Lawyers Division, Virginia Bar Association
Member, Federal Judgeships (Western District), 1994-1997
- Speaker, "#MeToo & Employee Considerations", CFO Leadership Council – Charlotte Chapter, April 11, 2019
- Speaker, ERISA 403(b) Plan Litigation, Strafford Live CLE Webinars, September 26, 2017
- Speaker, What’s Keeping Us Up at Night?, June 8, 2016
- Speaker, Meeting OFCCP Compliance Challenges in 2014, McGuireWoods LLP Complimentary Seminar, December 5, 2013
- Speaker, BNA Webinar – Cigna v. Amara: What Equitable Monetary Remedies Now Exist, July 12, 2011
- Hon. J. Harvie Wilkinson III, U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit, 1988-1989
- North Carolina
The rules of professional conduct in some jurisdictions require disclosure of selection methodology for certain public accolades and recognitions. Click here to view available selection methodologies.
Named to “500 Leading U.S. Corporate Employment Lawyers,” Lawdragon, 2021, 2022, 2023
Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation, Employee Benefits/ERISA Law, Employment Law-Management, Labor Law-Management, Litigation-ERISA, Labor and Employment Litigation, Woodward/White, Inc., 2010-2024
Selected for inclusion in America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Labor & Employment, North Carolina, Band 4, Chambers USA, 2013-2022
Named “Lawyer of the Year,” Charlotte, Litigation – ERISA, 2014; Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law, 2022, Best Lawyers in America
Named to “North Carolina Super Lawyers,” Employment & Labor, Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2017-2021
Selected for inclusion in “Client Service All Stars,” Employment Litigation, BTI Consulting Group, 2013
- Author, U.S. Supreme Court: Title VII Protects Gay and Transgender Employees, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, June 16, 2020
- Author, Hyper-Technical Interpretation: 9th Circuit Increases FCRA Reach, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, February 1, 2019
- Author, Two Courts of Appeals Reject Arbitration Agreements Post-Epic, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, June 18, 2018
- Author, Supreme Court Scratches “Triple Bank Shot” Attempt to Invalidate Class/Collective Action Waivers, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, May 22, 2018
- Author, California Supreme Court Adopts “ABC Test” to Evaluate Independent Contractor Status, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, May 2, 2018
- Author, 2nd Circuit Agrees With 7th: Sexual Orientation Discrimination Is Sex Discrimination, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, February 28, 2018
- Author, Court Strikes Down Obama Administration Overtime Rule, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, September 1, 2017
- Author, Big Apple Bars Employers from Asking about a Job Applicant’s “Salary History”, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 25, 2017
- Author, 7th Circuit: Sexual Orientation Discrimination Is Sex Discrimination, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 6, 2017
- Author, What Businesses Need to Know About North Carolina’s Repeal of HB2, the ‘Bathroom Bill’, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, March 30, 2017
- Author, The Perils of Calculating Regular Rate of Pay, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, March 14, 2017
- Author, ‘Not Completely Disassociated’: 4th Circuit Creates New FLSA Joint Employer Test, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, February 2, 2017
- Author, Federal Court Temporarily Halts Nationwide Enforcement of New DOL Overtime Rule, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, November 23, 2016
- Author, DOJ/FTC Antitrust Guidance for HR Professionals Part 2, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, November 22, 2016
- Author, Federal Court Permanently Enjoins DOL Union ‘Persuader’ Rule Enforcement, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, November 16, 2016
- Author, Raising Red Flags: DOJ and FTC Issue Antitrust Guidance for HR Professionals, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, October 27, 2016
- Author, The New Front in Retirement Plan Litigation: Higher Education in the Crosshairs, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, August 16, 2016
- Author, EEOC’s Revised Annual Collection of Pay Data on EEO-1 Forms, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, July 15, 2016
- Author, FAQs on Department of Labor’s New FLSA Overtime Rule, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, June 13, 2016
- Author, EEOC Proposes Burdensome Annual Collection of Pay Data on EEO-1 Forms, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, February 2, 2016
- Author, New Guidance: DOL Asserts Most Independent Contractors Are Employees, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, July 15, 2015
- Author, Supreme Court Overtime Exemption Decision Reins In DOL, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, June 21, 2012
- Author, Supreme Court’s FMLA Decision in Coleman May Spell Trouble for Healthcare Reform Law, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, March 23, 2012
- Author, Righting the Class Action Ship: Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. v. Dukes, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, June 22, 2011
- Author, CIGNA v. Amara: Supreme Court Addresses Remedies for Violation of ERISA Disclosure Rules, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, May 20, 2011
- Author, "First Person: I, the Jury", American Lawyer, December 14, 2010
- Author, What Exactly Is a “Major Life Activity”? Not Driving Apparently, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 30, 2009
- Author, Supreme Court Finds That Kentucky Disability Pension Does Not Violate ADEA, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, June 24, 2008
- Author, New Supreme Court Glenn Decision Requires Courts to Consider Employer Conflicts in ERISA Benefit Denial Decisions, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, June 20, 2008
- Author, The Fourth Circuit Holds That the At-Pleasure Provision of the National Bank Act Preempts State Law Claims for Wrongful Discharge, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 3, 2008