Josh is a lawyer in the firm’s Richmond office who focuses on antitrust law, government investigations, and complex commercial litigation.
Josh has experience with a broad array of antitrust and competition issues—ranging from counseling clients through the Federal Trade Commission and Department of Justice’s merger review processes to representation of clients in criminal investigations before the Department of Justice and foreign regulators. Josh also has experience litigating a wide range of complex commercial issues in federal and state trial and appellate courts throughout the country.
Prior to joining McGuireWoods, Josh served as a law clerk to the Honorable Jerome A. Holmes of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit and to the Honorable Norman K. Moon of the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia. During law school, Josh worked in the Department of Justice’s Antitrust Division and was a member of the University of Virginia School of Law’s Supreme Court Litigation Clinic, where he worked on certiorari stage briefing before the Supreme Court of the United States. Josh worked as an economic analyst for a consulting firm before law school.
- Counseled energy company in merger review investigation before Federal Trade Commission.
- Represented healthcare company in investigation of alleged no-poach agreements by the Department of Justice’s Antitrust Division.
- Represented leading high technology company in responding to Civil Investigative Demands and subpoenas issued by the Department of Justice’s Antitrust Division and state attorneys general.
- Represented leading food and beverage company in nationwide litigation and arbitration related to distribution agreement.
- Filed amicus brief concerning First Amendment on behalf of religious minorities in federal court of appeals.
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 10th Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit
Named to “Pro Bono Service Honor Roll,” Virginia Access to Justice Commission, 2022
- Hon. Jerome A. Holmes, U.S. Court of Appeals for the 10th Circuit, 2018-2019
- Hon. Norman K. Moon, U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia, 2017-2018
University of Virginia School of LawJD
Assistant Articles Editor, Submissions Editor, The Journal of Law and Politics2017
University of VirginiaBAEconomics and Religious Studies
with High Honors2012
Young Lawyer Representative, Antitrust Section, American Bar Association, 2020-2023
- Author, Federal Trade Commission and Department of Justice Propose Overhaul of HSR Form, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, June 28, 2023
- Author, Trial Court Rejects DOJ Antitrust Division’s No-Poach Legal Theory and Acquits Defendants, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 28, 2023
- Author, Questions Surround Federal Trade Commission’s Authority to Issue Non-Compete Clause Rule, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 19, 2023
- Author, U.S. Attorneys’ Offices Adopt Policy Incentivizing Self-Disclosure of Corporate Misconduct, Subject to Inquiry, February 27, 2023
- Author, DOJ Antitrust Division Announces Increased Scrutiny of Information Sharing, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, February 3, 2023
- Author, Federal Trade Commission Proposes Rule to Bar Almost All Non-Compete Agreements in Contracts With Workers, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, January 5, 2023
- Author, Antitrust Enforcers Focusing on Clayton Act Section 8, Interlocking Directorates: Know Your Risk, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, November 2, 2022
- Author, Supreme Court to Review When DOJ May Dismiss Relator Suits, The FCA Insider, July 29, 2022
- Author, Federal Trade Commission Announces 2022 Changes to Hart-Scott-Rodino Filing Thresholds, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, January 21, 2022
- Co-author, "FTC Introduces Policy That Penalizes Repeat Merger-Clearance Players", The Antitrust Counselor, Issue 16.2, January 2022
- Author, Federal Trade Commission to Expand Scope of Merger Review Information Requests, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, October 1, 2021
- Author, FTC to Send Warnings That Companies Close “at Their Own Risk” Despite Waiting Period Expiration, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, August 4, 2021
- Co-author, "Refining, Not Redefining, Market Definition: A Decade Under the 2010 Horizontal Merger Guidelines", The Antitrust Source, August 2020