A Texas-Louisiana litigator with an MBA, Miles enjoys helping companies protect their intellectual property and resolve high-stakes litigation. Miles has significant experience representing energy and technology companies in complex disputes involving contracts, environmental issues, government investigations, and trade secret theft.
Miles prides himself on securing quick and efficient victories for his clients to prevent unfair competition or irreparable harm. His colleagues recognize his unique experience with forensic investigations, electronic discovery, mobile devices, and software, which he uses to rapidly uncover and organize evidence from computers, cell phones, and storage devices. Using this experience, Miles has secured and defeated injunctions related to oil and gas services, joint operating agreements, debt collections, security interests, foreclosures, confidentiality agreements, non-competition and non-solicitation agreements, breach of fiduciary duty, and theft of trade secrets.
Miles is a thought leader in his industry on emerging technology and trade secrets, as he frequently publishes articles and speaks at conferences, CLEs and webinars. In 2022, he was appointed Chair of the Young Technology Professionals committee of CAIL’s Institute for Law & Technology and also appointed Associate Leader for the firm’s Trade Secret practice group. Miles also enjoys persuasive writing and, as a devoted advocate, has helped clients win at both the trial and appellate levels, including in the Texas Courts of Appeal and U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit.
Miles also offers proactive guidance to companies regarding intellectual property and government investigations—counseling them on their relationships with competitors, partners, and customers, restrictive covenants with employees, and compliance with the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, Regulation Fair Disclosure, and data breach notification laws. While at Tulane Law School, Miles won two national writing competitions for articles examining emerging topics in securities regulation, crowdfunding, and healthcare litigation. Miles was also presented the Cullen R. Liskow Award for earning the highest score in his Oil and Gas course.
- Obtained complete dismissal of putative class action in Texas federal court for a global inspection company related to train derailment and alleged environmental and power outage issues.
- Prosecuted bet-the-company trade secret and breach of fiduciary litigation for Fortune 150 energy company, obtaining a significant settlement at the eve of trial.
- Obtained directed verdict dismissal of injunction proceeding in Texas state court for appliance company and blue collar workers involving claims of breach of contract and restrictive covenants.
- Obtained multi-million dollar international arbitration award in favor of Ecuadorian engineering company against Brazilian construction company, including a six-figure award for pre-judgment interest and a six-figure award for attorney’s fees.
- Obtained multiple temporary restraining orders and temporary injunctions in Texas state courts for international and technology companies—preventing further theft of trade secrets, unfair competition, and violations of restrictive covenants.
- Advised oil and gas companies in resolving disputes related to pipelines, joint operating agreements, expenditures, and royalties.
- Won appeals in the Texas Courts of Appeal and in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit.
- Represented equipment suppliers and manufacturers in contract and tort disputes related to alleged defects and API specifications.
- Favorably resolved an oil and gas joint operating dispute relating to well proposals and rights to operate on behalf of a non-operator.
- Defended downstream purchaser related to alleged breach of crude oil supply agreement caused by unforeseeable economic circumstances.
- Defended energy companies in lawsuits involving environmental and toxic tort allegations.
- Represented companies in complex transaction-based controversies, business organization disputes and derivative suits.
- Defended telecommunications company against claims involving negligence, personal injury and property damage.
- Managed large scale e-discovery projects and forensic investigations in complex, high-stakes litigation matters.
- Created and helped implement corporate compliance measures for companies related to the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and data breach notification laws.
Tulane University Freeman School of BusinessMBA
Tulane University Law SchoolJD
magna cum laude, Order of the Coif, Tulane Law Review, Tulane Moot Court2016
Louisiana State UniversityBSBusiness Management
summa cum laude2012
Chair, Young Technology Professionals of the Institute for Law & Technology, The Center for American and International Law (CAIL)
Advisory Board Member, Institute for Law & Technology, The Center for American and International Law (CAIL)
President, Tulane Christian Legal Society, 2015-2016
President, Riverside Military Academy Alumni Class of ’08, 2016-2018
- Co-presenter, "AI and the Future of Law: Embracing the Ethical and Practical Implications", HBA Litigation Section, Virtual Litigation Section, December 5, 2023
- Speaker, "Artificial Intelligence and General Counsel Offices’ DEI Best Practices", NYC Bar Artificial Intelligence & Machine Learning Summit, September 29, 2023
- Moderator, "Tech Competence from the Courthouse to Cyberspace", Institute for Law and Technology, Webinar, April 11, 2023
- Speaker, "Enforcement", What You Need to Know: Protection, Enforcement and Defense of Trade Secrets, October 27, 2022
- Speaker, "Data Blowouts: Managing Confidential Data and Trade Secrets in the Energy World ", 6th National Young Energy Professionals’ Law Conference, October 5-6, 2022
- Speaker, "Developments in Trade Secret Litigation", State Bar of Texas Business Disputes Conference 2022, September 15, 2022
- Speaker, Protecting Trade Secrets — From Invention to Injunction, July 26, 2022
- Moderator, "Life after Law School: Many Paths To Many Great Places", Institute for Energy Law, The Center for American and International Law, July 13, 2022
- Presenter, "Trade Secrets, Temporary Restraining Orders (TROs), and War Stories", Houston Young Lawyers Association CLE, March 8, 2022
- Sponsor, 35th Annual Evening with the Judiciary, Houston Young Lawyers Association, October 28, 2021
- Speaker, Institute for Energy Law Podcast Series, Institute for Energy Law Podcast, June 10, 2020
- Speaker, You’ve Mastered Remote Working — Now What About Trade Secret Protection?, May 21, 2020
- Speaker, "Litigation Over 'Informal' Oil and Gas Deals and Agreements", 71st Annual Oil & Gas Law Conference, February 20-21, 2020
Selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch, Commercial Litigation, Oil and Gas Law, 2022, 2023, 2024
Judicial Intern to the Honorable W. Eugene Davis, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, 2014
Judicial Intern to the Honorable Jerry A. Brown, U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of Louisiana, 2013
- Author, Can Opposites Attract? Protecting a Company’s Intellectual Property Through Patents and Trade Secrets, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, October 10, 2023
- Author, Winter Storm Uri Power Dispute Reaches the Supreme Court of Texas, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, October 5, 2023
- Author, Employer Alert: Resolution of AI-Focused Writers’ Strike Sets Precedent in Hollywood and Beyond, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, September 29, 2023
- Author, For What It’s Worth: The Increasing Importance of a Trade Secret’s Independent Economic Value, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, August 8, 2023
- Author, Employers Beware: AI Tools May Lead to Labor Force Friction and Strikes, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, July 28, 2023
- Author, Disruptive Technology Strike Force Initiates Federal Prosecutions Targeting Trade Secret Theft, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, June 27, 2023
- Author, Texas Judge’s Mandate on Generative Artificial Intelligence Provides Lawyers Job Security … For Now, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, June 7, 2023
- Author, Ford Finds Key to Reversing $105 Million Award in Trade Secret Case, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, June 6, 2023
- Co-author, "Tech Competence From the Courtroom to Cyberspace", Bloomberg Law, May 2023
- Author, EEOC Issues Guidance on Artificial Intelligence Hiring Tools, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, May 23, 2023
- Author, Government Agencies Join Forces Against Bias and Discrimination in AI, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, May 2, 2023
- Author, Finding Irreparable Harm: 5th Circuit Vacates Refusal to Enter Preliminary Injunction, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 28, 2023
- Author, Old Wells: A New Frontier for Crypto-Mining and Complaints, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 26, 2023
- Author, "Employers Beware: The Rise of AI (Regulation)", Corporate Counsel Business Journal, April 24, 2023
- Author, Employers Beware: The Rise of AI (Regulation), McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 17, 2023
- Author, It’s No Longer a Secret—Parties Should Identify Their Trade Secrets Early in Litigation, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 4, 2023
- Author, Trade Secret Tidbits: February 2023, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, March 1, 2023
- Author, Circuit Court Strikes Down Liquidated-Damages Agreement in Trade Secret Case, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, January 27, 2023
- Chair, YTP Tech Times, ILT Young Technology Professionals Committee, October 2022
- Co-author, "Sports Marketing Trade Secret Lessons From NBA Case", Law360, August 3, 2022
- Author, Delta-8 Debate: Employment and Trademark Litigation in CBD and Cannabis Reaches New High, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, July 29, 2022
- Co-author, "High Court’s Tribal Ruling May Enable More Gambling In Texas", Law360, June 23, 2022
- Chair, The Energy Dispatch, Institute for Energy Law, Issue 16, April 2022
- Chair, The Energy Dispatch, Institute for Energy Law, Issue 15, January 2022
- Chair, The Energy Dispatch, Institute for Energy Law, Issue 14, October 2021
- Chair, The Energy Dispatch, Institute for Energy Law, Issue 13, June 2021
- Author, Key Amendments to Texas Rules of Civil Procedure, Effective January 2021, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, March 23, 2021
- Author, Pipeline Progeny: The Bounds of Eminent-Domain Power and FERC Certificates, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, March 22, 2021
- Author, New Bankruptcy Ruling Could Impact Future Midstream Contracts, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, November 13, 2020
- Co-author, Explosive Liability: Takeaways from the Beirut Tragedy, Texas Lawyer, September 16, 2020
- Co-author, "Hindsight Is 2020: Top 10 Recent Energy Cases", Pratt's Energy Law Report, Vol. 20-7, July – August 2020
- Author, Takeaways From IEL’s 70th Annual Oil and Gas Law Conference, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 15, 2019
- Co-author, "Drafting Enforceable Non-Competes in the Energy Industry", The Energy Dispatch, Institute for Energy Law, Issue 4, December 2018
- Presenter, This Training Will Make You Rethink Anti-Corruption Compliance, Bloomberg BNA, October 5, 2017
- Co-author, What To Know About The 48th State Breach Notification Law, Law360, April 17, 2017
- Co-author, Health-Care Employers Must Strengthen Internal Compliance Programs to Respond to DOJ and SEC Enforcement Initiatives, Bloomberg BNA's Health Law Reporter, April 18, 2016
- Author, A Tale of Two Cities: Reconciling the Securities and Exchange Commission’s Implementation of the Uniform Fiduciary Standard and Equity Crowdfunding Regulations, PIABA Bar Journal, 2016
- Author, Walking Dead: The Fifth Circuit Resurrects Rational Basis Review, 88 Tulane Law Review 993, May 1, 2014