Ryan joined McGuireWoods Consulting in April 2018 and serves as a senior vice president in the Federal Public Affairs group. He assists clients with matters before Congress, regulatory agencies and the executive branch. Ryan works on a large variety of issues, with extensive experience in agriculture, energy, transportation, appropriations and trade.
In addition, Ryan helps private equity investors and portfolio companies understand the implications of federal and state-level policy decisions and energy market trends for their investment and business decisions.
A respected Republican strategist and former chief of staff to U.S. Senator John Hoeven of North Dakota, Ryan possesses nearly two decades of senior government and political experience and was recognized by The Hill as one of the top lobbyists in 2022 for the third consecutive year.
As chief of staff for Senator Hoeven, he was responsible for overseeing Hoeven’s 30-person Senate staff in Washington and North Dakota since 2012 and served for nearly two years as deputy chief of staff before that. In Bismarck, he was a senior adviser to three North Dakota governors – Jack Dalrymple, Hoeven and Ed Schafer – from 2000 through 2010 in roles that included policy advisor and chief legal counsel.
Ryan earned his bachelor’s degree in agriculture economics from North Dakota State University and his J.D. with Distinction from the University of North Dakota Law School. He was also a recipient of the Horizon Award from North Dakota State University. Ryan clerked for the North Dakota Supreme Court and the U.S. District Court in Bismarck and is admitted to the bar in North Dakota and the District of Columbia.
McGuireWoods Consulting LLC (“MWC”) is a wholly owned subsidiary of the McGuireWoods LLP law firm. From time to time, various McGuireWoods lawyers provide non-legal services to MWC clients, but MWC cannot provide legal services or advice. Therefore, any work MWC performs for a client does not give rise to an attorney-client relationship or privilege. Should you require legal services from McGuireWoods, as well as consulting services from MWC, you must engage the law firm separately.
University of North DakotaJD
with Distinction, Member, University of North Dakota Law Review2004
- North Dakota State UniversityBSAgriculture Economics2000
Named “Top Lobbyist,” The Hill, 2020, 2021
- Author, IRS Issues More Guidance for Section 48C Advanced Energy Project Tax Credit Allocation Program, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, June 2, 2023
- Author, Inflation Reduction Act Extends and Modifies Tax Credits for Wind Projects, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, August 24, 2022
- Author, U.S. Senate Introduces the Inflation Reduction Act, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, August 2, 2022
- Author, Senate Passes Infrastructure Bill, McGuireWoods Consulting LLC, August 10, 2021
- Author, Senate Committee Releases Topline Priorities for FY22 Budget Reconciliation Bill, McGuireWoods Consulting LLC, August 9, 2021
- Author, Senate Advances Bipartisan Infrastructure Deal, McGuireWoods Consulting LLC, July 30, 2021
- Author, Update on Cannabis Administration and Opportunity Act, McGuireWoods Consulting LLC, July 21, 2021
- Author, U.S. Senate Introduces the Clean Energy for America Act, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 29, 2021
- Author, Biden Administration Debuts American Jobs Plan, Made in America Tax Plan, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, March 31, 2021
- Author, Breaking Down the Byrd Rule – Will My Provision Be Included in the COVID-19 Relief Bill?, McGuireWoods Consulting LLC, February 23, 2021
- Author, President Biden’s Energy Policy: Early Executive Orders and Key Rapid Regulatory Changes, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, February 4, 2021
- Author, Carbon Capture Tax Credits — IRS Issues Final Treasury Regulations, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, January 22, 2021
- Author, New Tax Extender Legislation Passed for Renewable Energy, Carbon Capture Projects, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, December 23, 2020
- Author, Major COVID-19 Provisions in Year-End Funding Bill, McGuireWoods Consulting LLC, December 22, 2020
- Author, IRS Proposes Regulations for Carbon Capture Tax Credit, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, June 10, 2020
- Author, Payroll Protection Loans Eligibility: Maximum Employee Requirement and Affiliation Rules, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 6, 2020
- Author, Near-Term Liquidity, Tax, and Unemployment Business Provisions for COVID-19, McGuireWoods Consulting LLC, March 26, 2020
- Author, IRS Provides Carbon Capture Tax Credit Guidance and Safe Harbor, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, February 24, 2020
- Author, Congressional Investigations: Beyond Sensational Headlines — Incoming House Leaders Announce Broad Investigative Priorities Targeting Business Community, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, December 19, 2018
- Author, Overview of Energy Trade, Tariffs and Quotas, McGuireWoods Consulting LLC, September 4, 2018
- District of Columbia
- North Dakota
- Speaker, "Texas: Policy Issues Impacting RNG", RNG Summit, May 19, 2022
- Speaker, "Inside the Beltway – McGuireWoods Consulting Take on Greenbook and Tax Reform/Legislation", New Developments in Tax and Wealth Planning, October 28, 2021
- Speaker, Weed in the Workplace, June 10, 2021
- Speaker, Pipeline Infrastructure and Coal Redevelopment Opportunities, May 25, 2021
- Speaker, "Texas: Policy Issues Impacting RNG", RNG Summit, Fort Worth, TX, May 19, 2022
- Speaker, Carbon Capture and Storage Tax Credits, May 5, 2021
- Speaker, The Times They Are A-Changing, January 27, 2021
- Panelist, Election Insights: Presidential, U.S. House and Senate Races, September 16, 2020
- Speaker, "Regulating Cannabis and CBD Today: State Uncertainty and Federal Restraint", Legal Landscape of Cannabis, November 14, 2019
- Speaker, Update on the Status of 45Q Tax Incentives and How to Prepare, Washington, DC, August 7, 2019