Leveraging his background as former deputy director of the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP), a role in which he managed the agency’s enforcement and policymaking activities, Bill defends clients in enforcement litigation, audits, and complaint investigations brought by the OFCCP.
Bill focuses his practice on OFCCP-related compliance issues, including matters of agency jurisdiction, privileged compensation self-evaluations and adverse impact analyses, Affirmative Action Program development and implementation, and Internet Applicant requirements. He also defends systemic discrimination claims investigated or brought by the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). And when clients embark on workforce reduction implementation, Bill also provides assistance with federal law matters like privileged statistical risk studies and compliance with Older Workers Benefit Protection Act (OWBPA), and the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act (WARN).
Bill has more than two decades of experience assisting clients across a broad range of industries, including petrochemical, energy, consumer products, manufacturing, technology, transportation, retail, pharmaceuticals, and financial services.
Bill is an active participant in community affairs and pro bono work. He has an active federal pro bono practice helping veterans obtain U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) benefits. He served as lead counsel in Military Order of the Purple Heart v. Sec’y of Veterans Affairs, 580 F.3d 1293 (Fed. Cir. 2009) (invalidating VA’s “extraordinary award review,” and thereby precluding VA from annually overturning 400 benefits awards of $25,000 or more to veterans).
- Defended clients in literally hundreds of OFCCP compliance reviews, including corporate management compliance reviews. Clients regularly call on Bill to defend challenging audits and to resolve agency allegations of systemic discrimination through administrative litigation and/or negotiations.
- Litigated several high-profile cases with OFCCP related to agency jurisdiction and access issues.
- Litigated numerous EEOC/federal class actions for employers in the financial services, retail, technology, transportation and public utilities sectors. He has extensive experience with statistical evidence of discrimination, has taken the depositions of most of the leading statistical experts used by plaintiffs, and has prepared Daubert motions challenging the admissibility of statistical expert reports.
Georgetown University Law CenterJD
- The Pennsylvania State UniversityBSEconomics1990
Selected for inclusion into the North Carolina Pro Bono Honor Society, 2020, 2021
- Author, SBA Issues Interim Guidance After Ultima Decision Finds 8(a) Program Violates Equal Protection, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, September 29, 2023
- Author, OFCCP Publishes Fall Corporate Scheduling Announcement List of Federal Contractor Audit Targets, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, September 11, 2023
- Author, OFCCP Updates Audit Scheduling Letter and Itemized Listing for Federal Contractors, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, August 28, 2023
- Author, New Regulations Increase Risk of OFCCP Systemic Discrimination Allegations, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, August 9, 2023
- Author, Employers Face Six-Year Statute of Limitations for Criminal Background Check Claims, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, February 1, 2023
- Author, OFCCP Now Demands Proof of Compliance With Vague Regulatory Compensation Self-Evaluation Rules, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, March 25, 2022
- Author, Mandatory Vaccination Coverage Expanded in Practice for All Federal Contractors and Subcontractors, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, October 18, 2021
- Author, And Now the Other Shoe: Employee COVID-19 Vaccination Guidance Issued for Federal Contractors and Subcontractors, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, September 27, 2021
- Author, OMB Authorizes OFCCP’s New AAP Certification Requirement for Federal Contractors and Subcontractors, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, September 2, 2021
- Author, New York Adopts Statewide Sick and Safe Leave Law, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 8, 2020
- Author, Now Invalid: Blacklisting Regulations for Government Contractors, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, March 29, 2017
- Author, Government Contractor “Blacklisting” Regs Take Effect Oct. 25 — Fast Facts, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, October 24, 2016
- Author, Administration Releases Final Blacklisting Regulations for Government Contractors, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, August 26, 2016
- Author, EEOC’s Revised Annual Collection of Pay Data on EEO-1 Forms, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, July 15, 2016
- Author, EEOC Proposes Burdensome Annual Collection of Pay Data on EEO-1 Forms, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, February 2, 2016
- Co-author, Managing Legal Risks Related to Diversity Programs, Presented to the American Employment Law Council, 2013
- Co-author, The Practical Implications of Ledbetter, Presented to the American Employment Law Council, 2007
- Co-author, The Ninth Circuit Departs From Established Principles to Permit Broad-Based Employment Discrimination Class Actions: An Evaluation of Dukes v. Wal-Mart, 8 Class Action Litigation Report 265 (2007), January 1, 2007
- Author, Implications of Smith v. City of Jackson on Equal Pay Act Claims and Sex-Based Pay Discrimination Claims Under Title VII, 21 Labor Lawyer 183 (2005), January 1, 2005
- District of Columbia
- North Carolina
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- Speaker, Federal Affirmative Action / OFCCP Update, September 14, 2023
- Speaker, OFCCP’s New Affirmative Action Plan Verification Interface, Webinar, September 15, 2021
- Speaker, Who’s at Bat and What’s on Deck: Federal Employment and Affirmative Action Developments Under the Biden Administration, March 17, 2021
- Panelist, After the Dust Settles, December 3, 2020
- Speaker, "OFCCP’s Year in Review: 2018 Trends, Tips and Takeaways ", OFCCP Federal Contractor Webinar Series, January 24, 2019
- Speaker, "OFCCP’s New Comp Directive: Significant Implications for Contractors Facing Audits", OFCCP Federal Contractor Webinar Series, December 5, 2018
- Panelist, Trump Administration, Federal Contractors and OFCCP – Where Are We?, McGuireWoods LLP Webinar, September 14, 2017