Christina practices in the area of government investigations and white collar litigation. She serves on the firm’s Board of Partners and is the former managing partner of McGuireWoods’ Chicago office.
An experienced trial lawyer, Christina represents higher education institutions, healthcare providers, financial institutions and other public and private entities and executives in criminal and civil investigations by federal, state and local authorities. She defends clients in complex cases in Illinois and across the U.S.
Christina regularly conducts internal investigations for a variety of clients into a wide range of matters, including allegations of sexual harassment, discrimination, corruption, and healthcare and other types of fraud.
She has been repeatedly honored by Chambers USA on its list of America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, recognized by the Chicago Daily Law Bulletin and Chicago Lawyer as one of their “Top 50 Women in the Law” and named one of Crain’s Chicago Business’ “Notable Gen X Leaders in Accounting, Consulting & Law.”
Prior to joining the firm, Christina served 10 years as an assistant U.S. attorney (AUSA) in the Northern District of Illinois – four of which she was a deputy chief supervising a number of AUSAs on investigations and prosecutions. She has tried more than 20 federal criminal cases as an AUSA. She led the prosecution of a broad range of complex investigations, including racketeering, public corruption, mortgage fraud, bankruptcy fraud and narcotics trafficking conspiracies. During her tenure , Christina focused on the investigation and trial of complex corruption cases, including serving as lead counsel in the racketeering investigation and trial of corrupt police officers and, in another case, investigating and prosecuting bribery schemes by corrupt City of Chicago inspectors and building contractors. She also briefed and argued multiple appeals before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit. Christina received multiple awards from federal and local law enforcement, and the U.S. Department of Justice for her service as an AUSA.
Christina was a judicial law clerk for the Honorable John F. Grady and a judicial extern for the Honorable Marvin E. Aspen of the U.S. District Court in Chicago. In 2012, she was also appointed to the U.S. Attorney Candidate Screening Committee through a bi-partisan process headed by U.S. Senators Dick Durbin and Mark Kirk.
She has been an adjunct professor at Northwestern School of Law, teaching a seminar on federal RICO law from 2012 to 2019 and taught trial advocacy there from 2008 to 2011. She is also a former lecturer at the Federal Bureau of Investigation Undercover School and the National Advocacy Center for the Department of Justice.
Some of Christina’s representative matters include:
- Won federal criminal trial for individual in a complex federal criminal accounting fraud case obtaining a total acquittal on all counts after a multi-week trial.
- Secured dismissal of all federal criminal charges against a former United States congressman indicted on misuse of campaign and government funds.
- Conducted internal investigation for state entity regarding allegations of sexual assault and misappropriation of funds.
- Represented a large public university in a U.S. Department of Education Office of Civil Rights investigation into allegations of Title VI violations.
- Conducted internal investigation for national healthcare provider into potential abuse of patients.
- Obtained Deferred Prosecution Agreement to dismiss federal indictment for individual charged with fraud.
- Won tenure revocation proceeding on behalf of large public university seeking dismissal of tenured professor.
- Convinced federal government not to seek indictment and enter into Deferred Prosecution Agreement for individual healthcare provider.
- Conducted internal investigation for public university regarding Title VI and First Amendment issues.
- Represented president of private university in investigation regarding allegations of clergy abuse.
- Conducted internal investigation into admissions process at higher education institution.
- Conducted review of multiple years of officer involved shootings for independent review authority for major metropolitan city.
- Conducted review of internal affairs department for city police department.
- Defended a private university in Title IX case involving alleged abuse in athletics program.
- Anti-Bribery & Anti-Corruption (FCPA)
- Campaign Finance Investigations and Enforcement
- Educational Institutions Investigations
- False Claims Act Investigations, Litigation and Enforcement
- Government Investigations & White Collar Litigation
- Healthcare Enforcement
- Healthcare Litigation
- Law Enforcement Policy and Practice Reviews
- Political Investigations Litigation and Enforcement
Northwestern Pritzker School of LawJD
cum laude, Order of the Coif, Executive Editor, Journal of International Law and Business1995
University of MichiganBA
magna cum laude1991
- Previous Board Member, Northwestern University School of Law Clinic Advisory Board
- Previous Board Member and Executive Committee Member, Constitutional Rights Foundation of Chicago
- Member, Chicago Inn of Court
- Presenter, "What You Need To Know For Your Investigations", Internal Investigations, June 21, 2023
- Speakers, Investigations and Crisis Management for Educational Institutions, November 4, 2021
- Speaker, Internal Investigations 2019, Practising Law Institute (PLI), June 17, 2019
- Moderator, "The Government Perspective on Enforcement of Healthcare Fraud", 6th Annual Healthcare Litigation and Compliance Conference, May 21, 2019
- Panelist, "Government Enforcement Issues", Healthcare Litigation and Business Trends Program, October 10, 2018
- Speaker, Modern-Compliance-Program, June 20, 2018
- Moderator, "May It Please the Court: Managing Partners Panel", Women Lawyers in the Courtroom Symposium, April 12, 2018
- Presenter, "What You Need To Know For Your Investigations", COPA 2018 Training Academy, March 19, 2018
- Panelist, "For the Love of Gov: A Conversation with Firm Attorneys and their Government Colleagues", Northwestern University Women’s Leadership Coalition Symposium, February 12, 2018
- Speaker, "Modernizing Your Compliance Program", Association of Corporate Counsel Chicago, December 6-7, 2017
- Speaker, "Effective Internal Investigations for Healthcare Entities", Healthcare Litigation and Compliance Webinar Series, September 19, 2017
- Moderator, "Government Enforcement Panel", 4th Annual Healthcare Litigation and Compliance Conference, McGuireWoods LLP, June 8, 2017
- Speaker, "Corporate Counsel Perspectives: Overcoming Internal Business Challenges", Compliance in the Real World: A Practical Discussion About Today’s Top Issues, McGuireWoods LLP Conference, May 17, 2017
- Panelist, "Internal Corporate Investigations: Practical & Ethical Considerations", FBA Ethics Program, May 16, 2017
- Panelist, FTI Consulting Annual Women’s Leadership Forum, October 13, 2016
- Moderator Keynote Panel, "Healthcare Litigation Trends: The Government Perspective on Enforcement, Administrative Actions and Sanctions", 3rd Annual Healthcare Litigation Conference, September 21, 2016
- Moderator Keynote Panel, 3rd Annual Healthcare Litigation Conference, McGuireWoods LLP, September 21, 2016
- Co-chair and Moderator, "Getting Real World Trial Experience: Tips from Experienced Trial Lawyers", Women Lawyers in the Courtroom Symposium, April 21, 2016
- Moderator, "Healthcare Investigations & Litigation: Whistleblower Suits to FTC Antitrust Actions and Beyond", 13th Annual Healthcare and Life Sciences Private Equity & Finance Conference, February 24, 2016
- Co-speaker, "What To Do When the Government Shows Up", Association of Corporate Counsel, October 28 and 29, 2015
- Speaker, "Role Play on How to Respond When the FBI Executes a Search Warrant", Hot Topics in Antitrust Compliance, McGuireWoods LLP Seminar, October 14, 2015
- Panelist, "Litigation Prevention: Robust Compliance Programs and Internal Investigations", Annual Healthcare Litigation Conference, May 6, 2015
- Panelist, "Top 10 Things Every Investor Should Understand about False Claims Investigation Trends and Effectively Spotting and Assessing Fraud and Abuse Risk", 12th Annual Healthcare and Life Sciences Private Equity and Finance Conference, February 18, 2015
- Speaker, Litigating a False Claims Act — Tips and Tactics from the Trenches, Part V: Select Trial Issues, Closing Arguments, Post-Trial Motions, and Appeals, AHLA Webinar, FCA Bootcamp Series, January 16, 2015
- Co-speaker, "Forensic Accounting in Criminal Investigations", Fraud & Forensic Symposium, Illinois CPA Society, October 28, 2014
- Speaker, "Criminal and Civil Healthcare Fraud Investigations", Illinois Association of Healthcare Attorneys Annual Health Law Symposium, October 21, 2014
- Co-speaker, "Criminal Prosecutions for Violations of the Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act", Food Safety Challenges in an Era of Change: How to Better Protect Your Food and Beverage Company, Your Customers and Yourself, October 9, 2014
- Speaker, "Food Safety - Preventing Adulteration and Contamination that Could Lead to Unsafe Products and Costly Litigation", American Conference Institute FDA and USDA Compliance Boot Camp, September 30, 2014
- Speaker, "Bullet Proof Your Data Privacy and Security Exposure and Sleep at Night", Association of Corporate Counsel America, September 9-11, 2014
- Speaker, "Criminal Investigations: Secrets, Privilege and the Lawyer’s Role", Illinois MCLE Marathon 2014, May 12, 2014
- Speaker, Healthcare Litigation Conference, McGuireWoods LLP, April 8, 2014
- Speaker, "7 Key Issues and Trends in Government Enforcement in the Healthcare Industry"; Panelist, "8 Key Aspects of an Effective Internal Investigation" and Moderator, "6 Critical Considerations in Compliance Planning for Hospitals", Healthcare Litigation Conference, McGuireWoods LLP, April 8, 2014
- Moderator, "Overcoming Regulatory Deal Obstacles and Finding Solutions: Self-Disclosure Protocol, Indemnity, Insurance and Other Risk Management Techniques", 11th Annual Healthcare and Life Sciences Private Equity and Finance Conference, McGuireWoods LLP and McGladrey LLP, February 25-26, 2014
- Speaker, The Rising Threat of Criminal Prosecution in the Food and Beverage Industry, McGuireWoods Webinar, February 18, 2014
- Panelist, "FCPA – What Happened in 2013", National Law Journal Summit, November 19, 2013
- Moderator, Healthcare Litigation Roundtable, McGuireWoods, September 24, 2013
- Panelist, "Under the Government Microscope: Health care fraud issues under FCPA", 6th Annual White Collar Crime, April 16, 2013
- Panelist, "Criminal Investigations: Secrets, Privilege and the Lawyer’s Role", PLI Illinois MCLE Marathon 2013, May 13, 2013
- Speaker, Seven Emerging Issues in Stark, Kickback and False Claims Cases, McGuireWoods Webinar, March 6, 2013
- Panelist, "Corporate Integrity Agreements: What Do They Mean for Your Deal?", 10th Annual Healthcare and Life Sciences Private Equity and Finance Conference, McGuireWoods LLP and McGladrey LLP, February 27, 2013
- Speaker, "10 Key Points for the Healthcare Industry ", Corporate Integrity Agreements, McGuireWoods Webinar, January 31, 2013
- Moderator, "FDA, Governmental Affairs and Compliance Issues"; Panelist, "Emerging Litigation Issues in the Device and Life Sciences Sector", 4th Annual Medical Device and Life Sciences Conference, McGuireWoods Seminar, November 8, 2012
- Panelist, "Breach of Ethics or Law? Fiduciaries in the Crosshairs", Emerging Issues in ASC and Healthcare Litigation, October 26, 2012
- Panelist, "Breach of Ethics or Law? Fiduciaries in the Crosshairs", Illinois CPA Society Fraud Conference, September 20, 2012
- Speaker, "Sponsor ‘Hot Buttons’ in Syndicated and Leveraged Finance Transactions", State Bar of Georgia 2012 Secured Lending Seminar, February 15, 2012
- Hon. John F. Grady, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, 1996-1997
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar)
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, Criminal Defense: White-Collar, Woodward/White, Inc., 2022, 2023, 2024
Selected for inclusion in America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Litigation: White-Collar Crime & Government Investigations, Illinois, Chambers USA, 2019-2023
Named to “2021 Notable Gen X Leaders in Accounting, Consulting & Law,” Crain’s Chicago Business, 2021
Named to “Salute! Top 50 Women in the Law,” Chicago Daily Law Bulletin and Chicago Lawyer, 2021
Selected for inclusion in the “Irish Legal 100” list of the United States’ most distinguished Irish-American legal professionals, 2020
Named to “2020 Notable Women in Law“, Crain’s Chicago Business, 2020
Recipient, United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois Award for Excellence in Pro Bono Service, May 2015
- Author, Schemes that Deprive a Person of “Potentially Valuable Economic Information” – Punishable Under the Federal Wire Fraud Statute?, Subject to Inquiry, December 5, 2022
- Co-author, "Reinvigorated DOJ Is Strong Incentive For Police Reforms", Law360, May 6, 2022
- Author, Supreme Court to Weigh Limited Use of Race in Admissions, Antitrust Case Against Elite Schools, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, January 24, 2022
- Author, U.S. Solicitor General Discourages Court Review of Harvard’s Limited Use of Race in Admissions, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, December 10, 2021
- Author, DOJ Title IX Investigation Leads to $1.6M Agreement With San Jose State University, Subject to Inquiry, October 6, 2021
- Author, Income Share Agreements – Risks, Rewards, and Regulators, Subject to Inquiry, September 13, 2021
- Author, Analysis of the DOJ’s 2020 FCA Statistics and the Trends Therein, Subject to Inquiry, February 11, 2021
- Author, DOJ Puts Collection of Civil Penalties on Hold in Response to COVID-19, The FCA Insider, April 22, 2020
- Contributor, "DOJ Policy Shift Returns Discretion to Prosecutors", Corporate Counsel Business Journal, March-April 2019
- Author, Positive FCA Enforcement Trend for Defense Contractors: DOJ Reaffirms Commitment to Exercise Statutory Authority to Dismiss, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, February 7, 2019
- Author, Yates Memo Revised – DOJ Steps Back From All-or-Nothing Approach to Corporate Cooperation Credit, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, December 5, 2018
- Author, New Illinois Law Addresses Sexual Assaults on College Campuses, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, August 28, 2015
- Co-author, "CMS Databases Increase Qui Tam Risk for Health Providers", Law360, December 11, 2014
- Author, Public Databases Increase Qui Tam Risk for Healthcare Providers, Subject to Inquiry, December 9, 2014
- Co-author, "Food Fighters: DOJ, FDA May Be Coming For Executives", Law360, September 23, 2014
- Author, Beyond Regulation by Litigation: Food Safety Enforcement Through Criminal Prosecution, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, September 22, 2014
- Author, Federal Government Increases Focus and Issues Clarification on Schools’ Responsibilities Regarding Sexual Assault, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 30, 2014
- Author, Court Holds That Dodd-Frank Whistleblowers Have No Right to Jury Trial, Subject to Inquiry, February 25, 2014
- Author, Healthcare Executive Indicted for Alleged Cover-Up, Subject to Inquiry, December 13, 2013
- Author, The Rising Threat of Criminal Prosecution for Food Industry Executives, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, March 12, 2013