Casey is a partner in the firm’s nationally recognized Government Investigations & White Collar Litigation Department, representing companies and individuals in government and internal investigations as well as complex commercial litigation. She has particular experience advising retail industry and manufacturer clients on antitrust and anti-corruption matters and has successfully defended corporate clients as well as individuals in the consumer retail, financial services, and healthcare sectors in connection with criminal antitrust cartel investigations and other types of criminal investigations by the U.S. Department of Justice. Casey is a co-chair of the firm’s congressional investigations practice group.
Casey returned to McGuireWoods following her service as Investigative Counsel for the U.S. House of Representatives Select Committee to Investigate the January 6th Attack on the U.S. Capitol. During her work for the Select Committee, Casey investigated interference with the result of the 2020 presidential election and the peaceful transfer of power. Her investigative work focused on pressure exerted on the vice president, pressure placed on state and local officials, and the organization of Trump electors in key battleground states. Casey contributed to the House Select Committee’s litigation matters (principally Eastman v. Thompson), presentation of the House Select Committee’s evidence during public hearings, and preparation of the House Select Committee’s final report.
Casey conducts confidential internal investigations and counsels clients on the risks of criminal prosecution or regulatory enforcement actions. Casey represents companies and individuals in a variety of investigations and enforcement actions by government agencies including the Department of Justice, Securities Exchange Commission, Federal Trade Commission, Commodity Futures Trading Commission, Office of Inspector General, and state Attorneys General.
Prior to joining McGuireWoods, Casey was a law clerk to the Honorable John F. Anderson of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia. Before law school, Casey worked for the political action committee of former Governor Mark R. Warner of Virginia and for the Center for American Progress.
Casey is a member of the Antitrust Law Section of the ABA and currently serves as a Vice Chair of the Section’s Civil Practice & Procedure Committee. Casey is also an active member of the firm’s Women Lawyers Network and founder of the WLN’s Family Leave Liaisons program.
Named a “Virginia Rising Star” in Antitrust, Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters (2017-2021)
Selected for Leadership Metro Richmond’s flagship Leadership Quest program (2018)
Government Investigations, Internal Investigations, and Compliance
- Represented former elected official in connection with criminal investigation, resulting in declination by U.S. Attorney’s Office.
- Represented high-level executive in connection with investigation by multiple government agencies into alleged improper disclosure of information.
- Conducted an internal investigation on behalf of financial institution after allegations of wrongdoing by a senior executive. Counseled client on risk analysis and responded to related government inquiries.
- Conducted internal investigation for joint venture of a global chemical company following an allegation of improper conduct on behalf of employees in an industrial facility. Represented client through self-reporting to state environmental regulator, submission of remediation plan, and resolution.
- Represented a senior executive of international sports governing body in connection with investigations by the U.S. Department of Justice, the Swiss Office of the Attorney General and related litigation.
- Represented large financial institution in a civil forfeiture litigation and related criminal investigation.
- Represented accounting and professional services firm in responding to subpoenas issued by the PCAOB, as well as by civil litigants.
- Designed and implemented international audit program to assess compliance with antitrust, anti-corruption, and anti-money laundering policies for global cash management and logistics company.
Antitrust Criminal Investigations, Antitrust Civil Litigation, and Compliance
- Represented multi-national building products company in connection with multiple simultaneous criminal antitrust investigations as well as connected civil litigation.
- Represented executive at sentencing in Southern District of New York in connection with DOJ investigation of alleged abuses involving pre-released ADRs.
- Represented large financial institution in a class action antitrust case alleging a conspiracy relating to the migration to chip cards, obtaining a dismissal of all claims on a motion to dismiss.
- Successfully defended at trial international cement manufacturer against claims of price discrimination brought under the Robinson-Patman Act.
- Represented several individuals in connection with antitrust cartel investigations across a variety of industries.
- Conducted antitrust and anti-corruption audits of a global consumer product company’s operations in the United Kingdom as well as Russia and the former Soviet Republics.
- In connection with proposed mergers, conducted due diligence reviews to assess antitrust as well as anti-bribery and anticorruption risks.
- In connection with merger investigations and litigation, responded to subpoenas and civil investigative demands on behalf of competitors as well as customers.
- Represented financial institution clients in response to congressional oversight inquiries related to the CARES Act and PPP. For one financial institution, provided real-time counseling regarding implementation of the PPP program.
- Anti-Bribery & Anti-Corruption (FCPA)
- Antitrust & Trade Regulation
- Antitrust Litigation & Government Investigations
- Commercial Litigation
- Congressional Investigations
- Crisis Management & Incident Response
- Government Investigations & White Collar Litigation
- International Competition & Trade
- Strategic Risk & Crisis Management
University of Virginia School of LawJD
Editorial Board, Virginia Journal of International Law2010
University of Notre DameBAPolitical Science
Vice-Chair, Compliance & Ethics Committee (2018-2021), Civil Practice Committee (2021-present), Antitrust Law Section, American Bar Association
Board of Trustees, Children’s Museum of Richmond, 2019-2021
Board Member, Rebuilding Together Richmond 2015-2021
- Session Chair & Moderator, "Antitrust Compliance Audits: Tools of the Trade", ABA Antitrust Law Section Spring Meeting, April 6, 2022
- Speaker, "Let’s Get an Understanding: Criminal Antitrust Enforcement in the Provider Space", ABA Antitrust in Healthcare Virtual Conference, February 11, 2021
- Speaker, Hot Topics in Antitrust Compliance and Enforcement Conference, McGuireWoods LLP Conference, October 12, 2017
- Hon. John F. Anderson, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, 2010-2011
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia
Named to “Virginia Rising Stars,” Antitrust Litigation, Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2017-2021
Selected for Leadership Metro Richmond’s flagship Leadership Quest program, 2018
- Author, “There are Cops on the Beat”: DOJ’s Procurement Collusion Strike Force Leader Emphasizes Criminal Antitrust as Top Enforcement Priority, Subject to Inquiry, October 2, 2023
- Author, Questions Surround Federal Trade Commission’s Authority to Issue Non-Compete Clause Rule, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 19, 2023
- Author, DOJ Announces Program Incentivizing Clawbacks of Compensation, Subject to Inquiry, March 6, 2023
- Author, U.S. Attorneys’ Offices Adopt Policy Incentivizing Self-Disclosure of Corporate Misconduct, Subject to Inquiry, February 27, 2023
- Author, New Incentives Added to the Criminal Division’s Corporate Enforcement Policy, Subject to Inquiry, January 20, 2023
- Author, Federal Trade Commission Proposes Rule to Bar Almost All Non-Compete Agreements in Contracts With Workers, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, January 5, 2023
- Author, DOJ Antitrust, HHS Enter 2023 With New Memorandum of Understanding, Coordinated Enforcement, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, December 27, 2022
- Author, Ninth Circuit Stresses District Court’s Duty to Weigh Competing Expert Evidence at Class Certification, Class Action Countermeasures, April 26, 2021
- Author, DOJ Launches Interagency Antitrust Procurement “Strike Force”, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, November 18, 2019
- Author, DOJ Changes Policy — Now Will Credit Corporate Antitrust Compliance, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, July 16, 2019