Alan has served as bond counsel and counsel to issuers, underwriters, borrowers, developers and trustees in connection with numerous tax-exempt and taxable bond issues and private financings in Maryland and elsewhere. He has served as lead counsel in some of Maryland’s largest project financings, including transactions involving hotel, convention center and retail facilities, continuing care retirement communities, P3 projects, solid waste disposal, paper recycling, transportation improvements, charter schools, student housing and affordable housing.
Alan served as bond counsel and transaction counsel for Baltimore City in connection with its publicly financed, publicly owned $300,000,000 Baltimore Hilton convention center hotel adjacent to Orioles Park at Camden Yards. He also represents the developer of National Harbor, in connection with infrastructure financing. National Harbor is a 350 acre mixed use community combining retail, dining, office, residential, hotel, casino and convention center facilities located in Prince George’s County, Maryland, along the Potomac River.
He served as underwriter’s counsel in connection with the financing of PPG Paints Arena, the 18,300-seat arena in downtown Pittsburgh for the NHL’s Pittsburgh Penguins.
Alan is a nationally recognized practitioner in the area of land-based infrastructure transactions, including special tax district, community development authority and tax increment (TIF) revenue bonds. He is currently serving as bond counsel for Baltimore City’s $660,000,000 Port Covington bond issuances and Howard County, Maryland’s Downtown Columbia TIF bonds. Alan also served as underwriter’s counsel for The Pinnacle shopping destination sales tax increment revenue bond issue in Bristol, Tennessee. Alan was instrumental in assisting Prince George’s County and a developer to relocate the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services headquarters building to Camp Springs, Maryland. He serves as outside general counsel for a number of nonprofit organizations, including a continuing care retirement community and Maryland businesses serving individuals with cognitive disabilities.
Alan also has extensive experience in municipal law, state and local government relations and economic development matters. He has testified before Senate and House of Delegates committees of the Maryland General Assembly on legislation concerning local governments and economic development tools.
Alan has held many leadership positions at McGuireWoods. He serves on the firm’s Board of Partners and is a former member of the Executive Committee. He served as chair of the public finance practice, chair of the Strategic Planning Committee and managing partner of the firm’s Baltimore office. He also served as a member of the Diversity Action Council, Associates Committee, Recruiting Committee and Nominating Committee for the Board of Partners. Prior to joining McGuireWoods, Alan was in private practice and also served as Harford County deputy county attorney. He is a life member of Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity.
- University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of LawJD
University of Maryland Robert H. Smith School of BusinessBS
Fellow and Board Member, The American College of Bond Counsel
Board Member, Terrapin Development Company, LLC
Executive Committee, Past Board Chair, Y of Central Maryland
Executive Committee, University System of Maryland Foundation
Past President, University of Maryland Alumni Association
Advisory Board Member, Maryland Volunteer Lawyers Service
Towson University Athletics Solution Committee
Former Member, Judicial Nominating Commission, Baltimore City
Member, “M” Club, University of Maryland
Former Board Member, University of Maryland Alumni Association – International
Board Member, Terrapin Club, 2004-2005
Former Board Trustee, University of Maryland College Park Foundation, Inc.
Former Advisory Board Member, University of Maryland Cancer Center
Former Board Member, Northeast Maryland Waste Disposal Authority
Member, Maryland State Bar Association
Member, National Bar Association
Member, National Association of Bond Lawyers
Former Chairman, Minority Clerkship Program, Baltimore City Bar Association
Member, Monumental City Bar Association
Member, Wednesday Law Club (Baltimore)
- Speaker, "Baltimore Affordable Housing TIF", Society of Municipal Analysts, April 2023
- Speaker, "Understanding Your TIF Statute", CDFA Advanced Tax Increment WebCourse, May 2021
- Speaker, "Atypical TIF Structures You Should Know", CDFA National Development Summit, Tampa, Florida, November 2019
- Speaker, Exelon and McGuireWoods Co-Host LCLD Fellows Event, June 14, 2019
- Speaker, "Trends in Tax Increment Financing in Maryland", Council of Development Finance Agencies (CDFA), June 2018
- Speaker, "TIF and the Capital Markets", Advanced TIF Course, Council of Development Finance Agencies (CDFA), August 2016
- Speaker, Municipal Financing Techniques, International Municipal Lawyers Association, September 2014
- Speaker, "Tax Increment Finance and Harbor Point", Commercial Real Estate Professionals, May 2013
- Speaker, "Tax Increment Financing", Maryland Government Finance Officers Association, May 2012
- Speaker, "The Future of TIFs", Advanced Real Property Institute, October 2011
- Speaker, "Advanced Tax Increment Finance WebCourse", Council of Development Finance Agencies, April 2011
- Speaker, "Tax Increment Finance Course", Council of Development Finance Agencies (CDFA), April 2010
- Speaker, "TIF: Critical Public Policy", Council of Development Finance Agencies (CDFA) National Summit, May 2009
- Speaker, "Advanced Tax Increment Finance WebCourse", Council of Development Finance Agencies, July 21, 2008
- Speaker, Council of Development Finance Agencies (CDFA) Tax Increment Finance Course, November 12, 2007
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, Public Finance Law, 2009-2024; Banking and Finance Law 2013-2024, Woodward/White, Inc.
Recipient, “Leadership in Law: Lifetime Achievement Award,” The Daily Record, 2023
Named “Lawyer of the Year,” Public Finance Law, Baltimore, The Best Lawyers in America, 2013, 2020, 2022
Named to “Maryland Super Lawyers,” Bonds/Government Finance, Business/Corporate, Super Lawyers, Thomson Reuters, 2007-2020
Named to “2020 Influential Marylanders,” The Daily Record, 2020
Named “Lawyer of the Year,” Banking and Finance Law and Public Finance Law, Baltimore, The Best Lawyers in America, 2015
Recipient, University of Maryland School of Law Practitioner of the Year (BLSA), 2005
Recipient, University of Maryland School of Law Alumnus of the Year (BLSA), 1999
AV Preeminent Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- Author, COVID-19: IRS Aids State and Local Governments With Tax-Exempt Tender Bonds and Commercial Paper, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, May 12, 2020
- Author, Treasury Approves New Municipal Liquidity Facility to Aid States, Counties and Cities, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 10, 2020
- Author, Demise of Bill Requiring Prevailing Wages for TIF-Funded Construction Contractors, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 3, 2017
- Author, The President’s FY 2014 Budget Proposal: Positives and Negatives for Public Finance, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, May 10, 2013
- Author, SEC Requires “Municipal Advisors” to Register by October 1, 2010, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, September 20, 2010
- Author, Dodd-Frank Financial Reform Act Will Impact Municipal Securities Market, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, July 22, 2010
- Author, An Important Reminder about Schedule K of IRS Form 990 (Tax-Exempt Bonds), McGuireWoods Legal Alert, July 15, 2010
- Author, Extension of Stimulus Act Bond Provisions in Doubt as Bill Founders in Senate, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, July 13, 2010
- Author, State and Local Governments – New IRS Guidance Regarding Recovery Zone Economic Development Bonds and Recovery Zone Facility Bonds, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, June 19, 2009
- Author, State and Local Governments: New IRS Guidance Opens the Door for Direct Payment Build America Bonds, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, April 8, 2009
- Author, Public Schools: Tax Credit Bonds Offer Financing Options for Building and Repairing School Facilities, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, March 30, 2009
- Author, State and Local Governments: Stimulus Act Provides Project Funding Options, McGuireWoods Legal Alert, February 17, 2009